Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an automatic 02' IS300 about a week ago with 183k miles on it. Driving it home was fine, noticed an oil leak from the valve cover gaskets. Then about 2 days after I got the car, it's throwing misfire codes at me. Never owning a Lexus before it startled me. I'm not sure if it's had a misfire code since I reset the codes because I don't have an OBDII. But I was wondering if it's just an intermittent misfire since it had too much load. Been driving it slow and steady ever since I found out about the misfires. Help pls.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
864 Posts
There is most likely oil down in the spark plug valleys. You need to replace the valve cover gaskets, spark plugs and possibly coil pack boots and wires if they are soaked in oil.

·
Mr. Roo
9,886 Posts
Yeah this can be a common issue, especially for such high mileage. Those top camshaft cover seals don't last forever. The misfire is probably intermittent and you don't have to worry about your driving style unless you notice actual power/performance loss. So, gather the parts (OEM, Denso) and do some searching on the DIYs and videos about how to do the job, and you'll be good to go

1 - 3 of 3 Posts