Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice from you all. For the past 4 months I have been wanting a new IS, until tonight. I have always loved the S4, but 42K is more than I want to spend. However, I went up to the audi dealership tonight and they have a 2000 nagaro blue one at a good price. Well, I just am not sure about it because I am just graduating from college, and not going to be making a huge amount of money (unlike some of you in here, at least yet!) and I dont want to pay a crap load on maintnance and all that. I have heard that Audi maintance, parts, etc. is expensive, but what about Lexus. All I know is that they have good customer service. Im sure you all are wondering how im buying a 30k+ car when im just graduating, but its a grad gift. No, im not completely spoiled because I am putting down money also with my parents. Anyway, my gut says get the lexus, but my need for speed says S4. What should I do?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Tough choice. That bi-turbo just grabs you and doesn't let you go. I almost went with the S4. I decided to get another Lexus for reliability reasons. I might consider the new S4 in '04. Just scared of Audi's build quality.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd have to go with the Lexus personally. I'll be buying my new IS next month. I've looked at the S4 and she's really sweet but I know a couple of guys who've had horrible experiences with Audi maintenance.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Why don’t you tell me which dealership you saw it at, and I’ll solve that problem for you (by buying that S4)…
j/k

How much was it?

Also, what is it you're going to be doing for a living?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey cb, I was looking at the S4 also, but decided to stay away from the higher maint. (maint on turbo also a factor.) Anyway, Midwest Auto Group in Columbus was selling a 2001 Silver S4 w/black leather, for $38.5K. (no miles) Not sure when the S4 will get the body change, and if that was the reason for the lower price, but a new turbo might be a better decision than the used one. OH is a hike for you, but the info on the price might help at the dealer. Good Luck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think the general consensus is pretty much towards S4. Although, I’m not sure that $36k for almost 2-year-old car with 9k miles is such a GREAT deal… I think that’s pretty average at best. Still kinda high if you ask me.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Why does everyone keep bringing up Audi maintenance?? First of all its a brand new car.. Secondly it comes with a warranty..

I would take the S4 over the IS too.. Looks nicer in some ways, Turbo!, and German.. However the IS is lower priced and a new model.. the S4 body has been around since 94??

Just my .02

·
Registered
1 Posts
S4 body style has been around since 96. I think too many people still think of Audi as the company is was in the early 90's and before. Audi is now IMO on the same level as MB and BMW. The S4 is a wonderful car, and 36k is a good price on it too. I would expect the S4 to be a little higher priced, because they hold there value so well. The new "S4" body style won't be out for about 2 years as its based off the new A4 style. I think you will be happy with either car. I own a 2000 A4 right now and just about 5 minutes ago decided to buy a 5 speed IS over the new 2002 A4 with 3.0 and quattro (let me tell you, not an easy choice)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Infrablue, I assume you saw the 2002 in person...what did you think of the body change? From pics, I like the old style much better. JMO.

·
Registered
142 Posts
if you get the s4 you need the 6 speed, audi can't make automatics. And i agree, the new s4/a4 body is nasty, too rounded, it looks like an a6.

·
8,107 Posts
Loaded 2001 S4s are going for $36,700 (advertised) at Ira Audi in Boston. So if price is the issue, get the S4. I'm more into handling than speed and prefer RWD to AWD, so I'd get the IS300, but if speed's your thing, the S4 is the right choice.

Originally posted by cb1978:
I need some advice from you all. For the past 4 months I have been wanting a new IS, until tonight. I have always loved the S4, but 42K is more than I want to spend. However, I went up to the audi dealership tonight and they have a 2000 nagaro blue one at a good price. Well, I just am not sure about it because I am just graduating from college, and not going to be making a huge amount of money (unlike some of you in here, at least yet!) and I dont want to pay a crap load on maintnance and all that. I have heard that Audi maintance, parts, etc. is expensive, but what about Lexus. All I know is that they have good customer service. Im sure you all are wondering how im buying a 30k+ car when im just graduating, but its a grad gift. No, im not completely spoiled because I am putting down money also with my parents. Anyway, my gut says get the lexus, but my need for speed says S4. What should I do?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
ckolsen
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing