Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pics of the Integra replacement that's coming out next summer:
http://www.vtec.net/news/items/463.html

I don't know if someone else has already posted these pics. If they have, then I apologize for the redundancy.

If you ask me, the car looks like a cross between a Toyota Paseo and a Hyundai Scoupe.


[This message has been edited by viggen (edited September 28, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Looks somewhat odd to me. The front looks pretty agressive...can't say the same of the rear however. Altho, I do like the wheels they have shown there. I'm just glad the rear doesn't have clear tail lights...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
The 2002 Integra will be unveiled in January i think. Hard to tell from the pictures what the car will really look like but the rumor of a 6 speed 220hp engine sounds pretty sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
and for some stupid reason, for the 2001 model year, they're introducing two shades of silver for the GSR. WTF? They wait this long............Silver was my first choice, but it was only available in the base models, so I ended up with a 98 RED gsr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,628 Posts
I don't seem to like hondas too much. They squeeze out high horsepower, but they're very low on torque. You have to rev them very high...feels like the engine's dying or somethin. I drove a 99 Prelude, which supposedly had 200 hp, but it was so low on torque it was ridiculous. Didn't feel fast at all, although that could be because I didn't rev it to the redline while accelerating. They design their car engines like motorcycle engines. To ensure good fuel economy, they keep the displacement low, but this in turn returns poor torque.
Anyways, I'm not interested in the "New Integra", so I really don't give a damn.

black/ivory
17"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Another rumor that i heard was that a type r version of the new integra might be released depending on the S2000 sales. I remember hearing it would be renamed to Type S and not Type R though. But from what i heard it would use the S2000 engine, and not be detuned.

Also the newer Prelude's are faster than an IS. The 0-60 time for the car is close to a whole second faster than what some people have tested the IS out to.

[This message has been edited by GPR (edited September 28, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by hasanazhar:
I don't seem to like hondas too much. They squeeze out high horsepower, but they're very low on torque. You have to rev them very high...feels like the engine's dying or somethin. I drove a 99 Prelude, which supposedly had 200 hp, but it was so low on torque it was ridiculous. Didn't feel fast at all, although that could be because I didn't rev it to the redline while accelerating. They design their car engines like motorcycle engines. To ensure good fuel economy, they keep the displacement low, but this in turn returns poor torque.
Anyways, I'm not interested in the "New Integra", so I really don't give a damn.

black/ivory
17"
i sorta feel similarly (yet conversely -- imagine that) about toyota products...excellent quality, rock-solid reliability for endless miles, good styling, and...underpowered engines.

i drove the new 4runner and u wanna talk about overpriced and underpowered? that takes the cake.

fact of the matter is that japanase cars, esp toyo/lexus and honda/acura, are incredibly overengineered in many ways. this is a good thing, and a pretty vast departure from domestics. it's why they top the quality lists
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,515 Posts
But Geoff, there's a reason why that 4runner costs so much as well as why it keeps its value better than any other SUV with the exception of the RX. Trust me, the public is being duped into a stupor-That happens in politics, not cars. I defy you to name an SUV that is as reliable and quality laden for any price under forty grand.

Originally posted by geoff:
i sorta feel similarly (yet conversely -- imagine that) about toyota products...excellent quality, rock-solid reliability for endless miles, good styling, and...underpowered engines.

i drove the new 4runner and u wanna talk about overpriced and underpowered? that takes the cake.

fact of the matter is that japanase cars, esp toyo/lexus and honda/acura, are incredibly overengineered in many ways. this is a good thing, and a pretty vast departure from domestics. it's why they top the quality lists
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
geoff, fyi, honda cars are not overengineered, nowhere close to the amount that toyota is anyways. for example, the toyota supra, the stock motor can handle basically double the stock hp without built internals, what honda do you know can do that and LAST?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,476 Posts
Those Five Pictures of the 2002 Acura Integra looks like 5 different looking cars to me.... I guess I'll have to wait for my official looking photos to make a judgement. Actually in Car & Driver (December, 1999) the Acura Integra finshed in the middle of a pack of 7 ahead of the Volkswagen GTI GLX (VR6) and just two points below the current Toyota Celica GTS. That's not bad at all considering the car/body style is 7+ years into its production cycle. What a success...
Eric...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
You have to remember when you are talking 4 cylinder cars that none of them really have any torque on the low end. That's a law of mechanics--small displacement=low torque. However, that doesn't make them slow cars, especially if you can drop the clutch on a manual. Remember that the Integra type R and S2000 have on the low side of zero lb/ft torque, yet can be very fast!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
geoff, fyi, honda cars are not overengineered, nowhere close to the amount that toyota is anyways. for example, the toyota supra, the stock motor can handle basically double the stock hp without built internals, what honda do you know can do that and LAST?
the nsx comes to mind
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
I'm the opposite, I think it's more fun to feel like you're going fast than to actually be going fast but no feel it. When my GSR sedan is going through a tunnel or underpass and I redline it, it sounds like a Formula car, and what could be more fun than that for $20 grand? Driving my car hard is exhilarating, it takes effort and concentration, and sounds great - like a race car. Drive a new BMW for example, and it takes no effort or concentration, and sounds as quiet as a Camry, what fun is that? No offense to Camrys, just citing a reference.

[This message has been edited by ckolsen (edited September 28, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Actually, NSX is one of the best examples of an over engineered car, at its introduction. It was the first vtec car, and Honda took a big chance on it. I believe it was the first street legal sports car to have a full aluminum space frame chassis, and it was one of the first cars, and even among today's top cars, to have titanium struts in the engine compartment. The engine may not handle as much as the Supra engine, but you are talking about an aluminum block here, not iron block. Try doubling the hp on a supra if it was made of aluminum. The entire structure of the NSX is quite amazing, just thinking the technology that is involved in it.
BTW, I think my vote for the most over engineered car has to be either the Skyline GTR or the Evo VI. Have you seen their AWD system? And you think the variable limited slip differential from BMW is amazing? Try this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
the NSX is a WELL engineered car, but it is not overengineered...overengineered is like a car that can handle a lot more than the car came with stock of anything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
I don't quite agree with your definition of over engineering, but I guess each person has its own definition on it. Your definition is basically the factor of safety build into the engine, and in this case Toyota put that margin at 2x instead of something lower. Typical factor of safety for a chassis or structure members are around 3 to 5, depending on what it is. You cannot call this overengineered, it is just a good engineering practice.
My definition basically says that any car that is engineered with technology that does not differentia from anything cheaper and simpler. The manufacturing cost that does not justify for the final product and market demand, then it is usually over engineered, and it is something that many companies are now against.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
For comparison, typical FOS (factors of safety) in a commercial airliner are 1 or slightly higher than 1. This means the frames are not overengineered at all. If they were, the planes would be so heavy they wouldn't get off the ground. (FOS = 1 means the aircraft component or frame is built to withstand the estimated maximum stress that will occur, but no more than that)

Originally posted by Daniel:
I don't quite agree with your definition of over engineering, but I guess each person has its own definition on it. Your definition is basically the factor of safety build into the engine, and in this case Toyota put that margin at 2x instead of something lower. Typical factor of safety for a chassis or structure members are around 3 to 5, depending on what it is. You cannot call this overengineered, it is just a good engineering practice.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
15 Participants
JW
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing
Top