Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard about this:

"Shown in Tokyo and Detroit, the XVL concept has production intentions - the question is where it will fit in the model range. We've heard both G20 replacement and late J30 replacement. Dimensionally, the XVL is closer to the G20 than the I30, suggesting that the original G20 rumor heard from within Nissan is true. (XVL is about five inches longer and two inches wider than the G20.) What we do know is that the upscale XVL bundles the latest technologies and design concepts into a luxurious sedan. Built on a new corporate rear-drive platform, the XVL promises performance with a direct-injection V-6 gasoline engine mated to a continuously variable transmission. The distinct shape cheats the wind with a low 0.28 drag coefficient. For reference: length 182.5 inches, width 68.3 inches, 57.7 inches, and wheelbase 111.2 inches. On sale spring 2002."

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah Tony - I have been posting about that vehicle for a long time. Go into the old forum archives from 6+ months ago, and you should find some of my postings.

General comments:

1> It is expected soon, perhaps as a G20 replacement.
2> It has a very interesting drivetrain with a sweet V6 (similar to Maxima engine) and a new technology (toroidal) CVT transmission. There are two cars already out in Japan (Cedric and Gloria?) that use this drivetrain.
3> The show car is much wider and more "cushy" than the IS300. I think it aspires to be more of a Luxury car than a sports sedan.

Mainly the techno-geek in me wants to see that CVT transmission show up in the USA.
The rumor mill says that the drivetrain may also show up in the new "Z" car...

Of course it will be restyled before it actually goes into production.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Is it me or does that look a little like the GS series?

Damn that crack cocaine...it messes with my head.

Agent Smith Out

·
Registered
455 Posts
Reminds me of the new A4...just me or does anyone else see this. I would much rather have the new A4 than this car though...the interior is not as nice on the infinity

·
Registered
262 Posts
I saw this car at the auto show. I looks nicer in person than in pictures. The chick that was working at the Infiniti display said the it would have the maxima's 3.0L engine, but I question the veracity of her statement because the maxima is getting a new 3.5L engine in '02 and so I would think the Infiniti would get that engine as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts