Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm just posting my own opinion here, but it must be nice to be able to trade in a one year old car to get the same car with a 5-speed tranny. i wish i had that kind of cash to throw around. don't get me wrong, the IS in a 5-speed is a very tempting prospect, but the '01 IS is a damn fine car too and i still love mine to pieces. it seems a shame to trade in such a lovely car only to lose big $$...for me the trade-off of losing big dollars far outweighs the benefit of having a 5-speed. personally, i think the 5-speed is only the first in a bag of tricks lexus has in store for the IS. for those of you just waiting to get rid of your '01 IS for an '02 5-speed, wait an extra year or two and you see what lexus has in store. the biggest depreciation a car sees is in its first year, so you wouldn't be losing that much more $$ if you waited a year or two. Just remember, an '01 IS isn't such a bad car to be driving until lexus does something really special with the IS300.

Just my opinion though

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'm with you in that we're also sticking with `01 at least until the warranty runs out. I guess we're just practical.
Some don't mind the depreciation loss in order to ride in the latest and the greatest. That's their prerogative though. We all chose to spend our money in different areas - and for some of the high rollers in here, a few thousand isn't really that much in the end.

I'm looking forward to seeing them on the road.

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: SilverLex ]

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I'm with you 100% on that. The 2002 is great and all to get excited about but its not like were getting a SC or 50 more horses or a completely redesigned car. And in my opinion the people trading in their 01 for an 02 are either 1) don't even have a IS300 in the first place (I know there are a lot of you out there pretending to own one) 2)B.S.ing about trading in their 01 or 3) Like to get raped because the first year depreciation on ANY car is huge! But thats just my opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I agree with you guys.

After careful analysis, I just couldn't get any acceptable numbers on trading in a one year old car. It just isn't fiscally responsible for me.

I've also spent a lot to personalize my car so I would lose out even more if I were to trade in my current car for basically a stock IS 300.

I don't even consider having a 5 speed as an essential option on a car. My other car is a manual 5 speed (Toyota 4x4 pickup) and the car that was replaced by our IS 300 was a 5 speed manual. I like the "manumatic" and it gives me just enough control.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Really the 5 speed is no big deal for me too. Even if they offered a manual in the 01 models I still wouldn't even consider it. There is just way too much stop and go traffic here in Chicago. I had a 95 Z28 with the 6 speed and wow was that a pain in the a$$ durring rush hour.

Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
I may actually have a different opinion. Let's take me for example. I had a 2001 IS 300 loaded with about 13,000 miles on it. I just traded it in and got $ 27,500 for it. My oayoff was $ 28,500. So on the surface it looks like I lost $ 1,000 for doing this.

But, I was near the 15,000 mile service which was going to be a couple of hundred dollars and I was also near a new set of tires which depending on which brand I went with was going to be $ 600 - 1000.

SO when you take that into account I broke even on the car. So what is wrong with purchasing a car, driving it for a year, selling it and getting out of it what you owe. I think that it is cool to get a new car every year, as long as you do not have to shell out a few thousand dollars to do this.

So now I can have a 5 speed with navigation and full leather. I figure that I will re-evaluate this car 1 year from now and if I can do the same thing than why not.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
571 Posts
it kinda does not make sense to me.

It seems though that if you are willing to lose all that money just to get a stick (meaning you're a die hard stick fan just like me), I dunno what ever drove you to buy an auto IS300 in the first place (if you are such a manual lover).

When the IS300 first came out, I wanted one, but because I do not settle for anything else but a manual, I wouldn't buy the IS300.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Hmm,
here my 2 cents. Im trading (or selling) my 2k accord for a manual is because i love driving stick. The accord was my first(new) car and like alot of people on the board a year ago if you wanted a 200+ hp car that was manual you didnt have many options.
I still have my old celica and i enjoy driving it more then the accord even though its slower(when it works), so I can see people trading there 2001s for 2002s because in the end we all want to be driving a car we like(at least in NYC the cost of owning a car is huge).

hmm the guy who said hes only loosing a thousand, im really good with numbers and are you considering your losing your downpayment? other wise you must of got an awesome deal on the car.

just MHO

BTW i live in nyc driving stick in traffic is not that bad, any true lover of stick shifts will tolerate it, and if your not a true lover you probably not considering trading your 2001.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I agree with you on the fact that Lexus has a lot of surprises in store for IS in the near future: a coupe, a convertible, more HP??? We can only speculate at this point what’s going to happen to the evolution of the IS. One thing is for certain though, this car is versatile! Thus it will be tempting to trade the car in every year something new comes out...

I however am trading my 2001 for the 2002, despite the fact that I’ll lose a lot of money. There are, however, some benefits to the trade. First and foremost, is my APR. 2001 was my first car. I had no credit history prior to that. My interest rate is 9%. I’m hoping that for a year worth of payments and bad economy will improve my credit history to allow for 6%… Also, like Lexus Guru, I will save money on not doing the 10k service and replacing tires. I will also get all the goodies that I’ve been missing in the IS: Navigation, armrest, auto-dimming mirrors, and most importantly 5-speed!

So, I figure if I loose all the payments I’ve made thus far to depreciation, plus maybe $2,000 down payment, for a total of around $6k it will still be worse it! Call me impractical, but I’m psyched!

·
11,062 Posts
Aw, I'm gonna wait for the lease returns on the SC430s.

(NOT...unless I win the lotto, in which case I'll get a new one.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Let's look at it this way. Of the ones who lease we have come to the realization that we car always going to have a car payment. The advantage of leasing is that every few years you get a new car i.e. new technology, new safety, new features, and no maintenance problems.

Therefore I know that I am always going to have a car payment, so I did not lose the money that I have spent over the course of a year, because I always have a car payment.

From that I never put any money down on a lease. I will either put down the bare minimums or nothing at all. If I do not money out of pocket at all then I have them roll it into my lease.

Sorry to keep rambling on, but again the way that I look at it, My IS was near needing new tires and a minor maintenance, so I saved the money that I spent on getting out of my lease, I was going to spend it either way.

So now if I keep this car for a year and sell it the same way I always come out the same, I get a new car yearly, with all of the new added features.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Originally posted by is430:
its either you people are rich and don't care about the money or you just hardcore is300 fans
or don't mind the eternal car payment with mile limitations.

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: SilverLex ]

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
For anyone who thinks they can come out even or close to even on a 1 year old trade, I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale if your interested? LOL just kidding!!

Mike

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would want to trade in their '01 for an '02 (unless they simply have money to burn).

Most people agree that the IS300 will have a redesign in 2003-2004, that's less than 2 years away. Why not wait until then?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My point again is that if you get out of your car what you owe and you did not make a down payment to get into your car, then why not trade yearly.

If you could get out of your car and into a new car for no difference in payment, then wouldn't you?

·
Registered
638 Posts
A manual would be fun but since their is no SBM in 2002 that settles it for me....I love my color...I am not giving it up!!! In a couple of years I am hoping it will fetch me a few dollars for rarity IF I ever decide to sell.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Originally posted by Zor Prime:
A manual would be fun but since their is no SBM in 2002 that settles it for me....I love my color...I am not giving it up!!! In a couple of years I am hoping it will fetch me a few dollars for rarity IF I ever decide to sell.
Have to see how the Intensa Blue is. It is supposed to be pretty close and it has a pearl coat. Should be pretty trippy when the sun hits it. I will post pix as soon as I get mine!

.../austin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
15 Participants
Risk3233
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing