Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea what will be the 0-60 for the 2002 model 5-speed manual? Can it as least take off 1 seconds from 7.4s to 6.4s? Or getting close to Supra non-turbo 6.1s?

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Depends on the gearing and all..but I'd guess 6.9 for moderate gearing or even low 6's for a tight close ratio gearbox. Will be interesting to see how close we all are...

------------------
92 RS 25th Anniv.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Are the secs getting knocked off because of the manual tranny or will ther be any upgrades on the engine or etc.?

------------------
K.P.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I am guessing that power will be the same with the only major difference being the 5-speed manual transmission.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately they won't upgrade the power since the car is only going to be in its second year. But they bring in the supercharger, that would be sufficient. As for the manual tranny, I would guess an easy second off the current figures. If the average 0-60 is 7.4, I'd say that the manual would easily do 6.4 (or better). I'm contemplating trading mine in for a 2002 with a manual and a supercharger that ups power to 265. That'd give me the ultimate sports sedan for the money.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
333 Posts
It'll probably drop between .5 to 1.0 second of the times...bear in mind, it's a professional getting those times..if you are an amateur stick driver, your 0-60 times in a 5 speed IS would probably be the same as auto, but with practice will most definately improve.
Ed

------------------
1999 TL Non/Nav, Satin Silver/Ebony, Comptech Springs,Comptech Exhaust, Inspire tails, Air filter, Guy Smiley as my Co-driver...many many more..
1999 Miata Touring, RB springs, Koni adjustables, RB intake, RB roll bar, BBS RV 16x7 on 225/40/16 Sp9000's, Kickin' sound system, soon to have headers and BSP dual exhaust..Click here to see

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Edmunds.com says that the non-turbo '98 Supra will do 0-60 in 6.4 seconds with the manual. Since the IS300 is a bit heavier and has slightly less power, I would agree with TEG's assessment.

Power-wise, maybe Toyota will retune the engine to 220-225 hp (@ higher RPM?) while sacrificing some torque.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I thought Supra TT was at 3700 lb, so I don't think the NA version would be much lighter. IS weigh about 3300 to 3400lb, so I think IS is actually the lighter of the two (kind of hard to believe). I predict 6.5, although with stick it will be easier to get lower time since these magazine do test cars in a way that no sane person on the street will try to do (the Skyline example is a good one).

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Uhh...3700 lbs for a MkIV? No way...the MkIII Supra was 3600 lbs and was criticized for being too heavy. The MkIV addressed this problem and is way lighter at ~3300 lbs.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited December 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
333 Posts
Even though it shares a similar engine, you can't compare the two cars to determine the 0-60 distance, IMO
Ed

------------------
1999 TL Non/Nav, Satin Silver/Ebony, Comptech Springs,Comptech Exhaust, Inspire tails, Air filter, Guy Smiley as my Co-driver...many many more..
1999 Miata Touring, RB springs, Koni adjustables, RB intake, RB roll bar, BBS RV 16x7 on 225/40/16 Sp9000's, Kickin' sound system, soon to have headers and BSP dual exhaust..Click here to see

1 - 12 of 12 Posts