Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am about to lease a 2001 IS 300, infact I was going to make a move this month, but I have decided to hold on and think about the possibility of leasing a 02 standard model. Since I am trading in a car that i own, time is not really an issue for me, but I am really dying to own this car. I lust daily, and also read this post all the time. The question I ask you enthusists is, should I hold out for a 02'(i drive and love a 5 speed)or buy now while there is reasonably good deal. And get a teriffic car thats an auto.
Do you find the auto to be boring or less entertaining than a manual car? Is the e shift make the car faster? Do you think the the full leather is also nicer? The dealer is offering at invoice(which is thousands less than the 325i I was also considering.
Thanks for your input. Carry on with the great board.
FYI, I am a bmw owner who is making a switch to Lexus.
Joe

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Lust no more, trade that bimmer in and see what the is300 shall have in store.

------------------
White IS300
"Bein Bad Ain't EZ"

·
Registered
241 Posts
Do you have a commute? If so, id get the 01 auto, Its nice having a smooth auto on a long drive. And you always have e-shift for a little fun when you need it.

Sure, its not a 5spd, but I'd like to see a 5spd that can drive like an auto!

------------------
PEARL/BLK

·
Registered
201 Posts
Good point. It's not like a 5spd but it's still fun and you have the option of having an auto when you want it. I'm old school, it's better to have an auto and not need it than to need it and not have it!!
Originally posted by Stimpykat7:
Do you have a commute? If so, id get the 01 auto, Its nice having a smooth auto on a long drive. And you always have e-shift for a little fun when you need it.

Sure, its not a 5spd, but I'd like to see a 5spd that can drive like an auto!

------------------

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wait no longer get that Baby tomorrow! I just traded in a Manual and I was sick of it I like a having the freedom of one hand if I need it. The e-shift is fun and it is a little quicker when you use it. Wait no longer you don't know what your missing.

------------------
TC
Spectra/Blue
17" Lexus Chome
01 Nissan Pathfinder

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I've never in my life 'needed' an auto, and never wanted one, even in traffic. For me, half the fun of driving is shifting, and shifting at redline or downshifting going into a turn is tons of fun with a manual. I found downshifting with the e-shift to be unpleasant, it feels like if I downshifted without rev matching. I don't understand people buying performance cars with an auto, unless either you can't drive stick, or your wife/husband(?) can't. I'd be driving an IS300 if they offered a manual last year, instead I bought a used BMW.

Originally posted by 4yoazz:
Good point. It's not like a 5spd but it's still fun and you have the option of having an auto when you want it. I'm old school, it's better to have an auto and not need it than to need it and not have it!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will buck the trend and say that if you are a driving ethusiast, wait for the '02 model.

I got an IS about 2 months ago and was able to commit my 98 GSR to track use only. Since then I have been driving the IS or our 94 Integra LS auto and I was almost conviced that automatic is not all that bad. Then today I drove the GSR for the first time in months and I tell you .. there is NO SUBSTITUTE for a manual gear box.

The 5 speed auto in the IS is very smooth and a pleasure to drive, but something about not having your right foot directly connected to the drive wheels that takes something very real away from the driving experience. The E-Shift is cool .. but to me more of a toy then anything else. Though I have managed to be able to use it to properly apex turns and keep the auto tranny at bay.

Also .. if the rumors that the '02 manual will have a more sports tunes suspenion setup are true, I would wait for sure. One of my biggest gripes about the US IS the the wuss fell in the spring and dampening rates. The suspension in the IS it top notch, and you can feel that it is designed to perform once you get the car to settle down in a turn. If you are not leasing, or plan to modify the car, this is probably not a large concern since there are tons of after market suspension mods for the Altezza/IS.

Just my thoughts ...

------------------
Zsolt
2001 IS - Daily driver
1998 GSR - Race car

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
agreed....if you buy a performance oriented sedan, you should want to get the most performance out if it whether stock or modded, which means being able to control the shift points, and feel how the car is performing more.

Originally posted by ckolsen:
I've never in my life 'needed' an auto, and never wanted one, even in traffic. For me, half the fun of driving is shifting, and shifting at redline or downshifting going into a turn is tons of fun with a manual. I found downshifting with the e-shift to be unpleasant, it feels like if I downshifted without rev matching. I don't understand people buying performance cars with an auto, unless either you can't drive stick, or your wife/husband(?) can't. I'd be driving an IS300 if they offered a manual last year, instead I bought a used BMW.

·
11,061 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
I don't understand people buying performance cars with an auto, unless either you can't drive stick, or your wife/husband(?) can't.

[/B]
Laziness? Traffic? A manual is NO fun on a jammed up freeway or on lots of hills with stop lights, like we have in Seattle. I can DRIVE a stick, I just don't like it. (Actually, I drove manual in England for a whole year straight...but never tried it right handed over here...)

·
Registered
250 Posts
WAIT - I wish I had.

It's a great car and the e-shift is ALMOST as fun as a stick. But almost is still almost - while the e-shift gives you nearly the same gear selection control that a stick does, it does not give you the engine control during gear changes that (for me) is most of the fun of driving. If you have the luxury to wait for the stick take advantage of it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
4yoazz
Its nice to see that someone else is from Arlington, TX. Do you have the white IS that I see around town?

[This message has been edited by lyndon_h (edited January 25, 2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts