Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, from what I've seen and heard the 2001 IS300's did not come with navigation as an option. Well, I have 2001 and I need navigation for the type of work I do.

My question is, is there a plug for it behind the dash where if I go and buy a Stock Navigation unit for a 2002 IS300 will it be able to plug in? I would like an in dash unit but If I have to settle for a windsheild mounted one thats ok too I guess.

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you dont mind losing the disc changer and bypassing the factory amp, you could totally go for this:

]

ZDNet Eclipse AVN2210p Review & Comparison

Pretty sweet set-up. The Tom Tom is also a portable unit. After the first of the year, I'm gonna get this one for my car. It would probably be cheaper than buying even a used navigation setup for our cars. There are the pros and cons for doing this of course. Just a suggestion for an alternative. Supposedly, Circuit City has a big sale going on for this head unit. I haven't checked into it though. Good luck with the decision!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I don't think it's a simple as just buying a NAV unit and plugging it in. Your best bet is to get either a Double-DIN radio with NAV or a stand-alone unit.

Right now I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 360... and I'm loving it. Plus... the IS300 Nav system (not the maps... but the technology) would be "ancient" now anyways.

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
I just bought a standard aftermarket GPS (Magellan). I then bought a floor mount and 2nd cigarette adapter. The plan is to get a custom install where the mount comes out of the "lint tray" and the wire is run behind everything. I say "the plan" b/c I've had these parts for a year now and haven't gotten around to getting them installed. :lol:

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
It would be cool if you could get the stock Nav motorized housing... and then customize it to hold your portable GPS unit. Obviously make it so you can remove the GPS unit so you can update it. Somebody in the Canadian Forum already made a custom mount for their GPS in the lint tray but many people thought it was a bit too chunky.

Here's a pic...

·
Registered
911 Posts
It would be cool if you could get the stock Nav motorized housing... and then customize it to hold your portable GPS unit. Obviously make it so you can remove the GPS unit so you can update it. Somebody in the Canadian Forum already made a custom mount for their GPS in the lint tray but many people thought it was a bit too chunky.

Here's a pic...

There's just too much wrong with that picture...

There's already a double-din receiver in the dash, and they still felt compelled to fabricate that clown shit?!?!?!

...And then take a picture for the whole word to see without even bothering to wipe off the dash???

I'm not even gonna start on that windchime hanging out the ignition either.

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts

Here's a pic...
I only drive the IS on weekends and have a rental during the week. As a result I want the GPS mount in the IS to be a "docking station" rather than a full install like the picture you posted.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Actually that guy said he did his mount in a way that it could still be removed from the "headrest".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts