Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2001 Lexus IS300 not running as a project. A little history on the car, the head gasket went out so previous owner instead of replacing the head gasket replaced the whole head. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, coil packs, and oil, as well as flushed the fuel tank. The car still refuses to start, no security light, car just cranks over and over. My next replacement would be the ECM. So does anybody have any ideas what is going on with the car? I don’t think I’m getting fuel to the motor but I’m not exactly sure how to check. I don’t smell gas under the hood either. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I recently bought a 2001 Lexus IS300 not running as a project. A little history on the car, the head gasket went out so previous owner instead of replacing the head gasket replaced the whole head. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, coil packs, and oil, as well as flushed the fuel tank. The car still refuses to start, no security light, car just cranks over and over. My next replacement would be the ECM. So does anybody have any ideas what is going on with the car? I don’t think I’m getting fuel to the motor but I’m not exactly sure how to check. I don’t smell gas under the hood either. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Does it get spark?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it get spark?
Yes after replacing the coil packs and wires it gets spark. It got spark before but I replaced the coil packs anyway.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Yes after replacing the coil packs and wires it gets spark. It got spark before but I replaced the coil packs anyway.
Rent some injector noids at the auto parts store. That way you will know if it is a signal issue.

That being said, It then can be wiring, Ecu, fuse, relay, and Faultily sensor. But first try the noids.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I cant remember, do these have a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail?

Have you done a full reset of the ECU? disconnect the battery, foot on the brake to discharge the system, wait 10 minutes and reconnect battery again. Can force the ECU to double check all the sensors and possibly give you some codes to examine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not tried it that way I was told to just disconnect the battery and wait ten minutes I tried that way but not the way you are suggesting.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have not tried it that way I was told to just disconnect the battery and wait ten minutes I tried that way but not the way you are suggesting.
Its close enough, the brake pedal just releases any power in the system saving the settings . . . so i have read. To be honest ive only ever pulled the battery like you, and that's been enough ;)

My thoughts with the fuel regulator, you mention you thought there may not be fuel at the engine. I would be checking to make sure there is fuel to the fuel rail first, in case there was something wrong with the pump install, check the regulator is holding pressure correctly, then move onto the injectors as mentioned. No point trying to diagnose a non existent injector issue if something isn't right from when the pump was changed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would be checking to make sure there is fuel to the fuel rail first, in case there was something wrong with the pump install...
Yes. Theres no test port on the rail, but at the very least, you can loosen the banjo bolt that holds the fuel line to the rail, and see if fuel is moving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would be checking to make sure there is fuel to the fuel rail first, in case there was something wrong with the pump install...
Yes. Theres no test port on the rail, but at the very least, you can loosen the banjo bolt that holds the fuel line to the rail, and see if fuel is moving.
I will give it a shot, thanks I also replaced the igniter because I was getting a P1300 code and I have yet to check if it’s still there or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts