Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home from the car wash and when I was trying to lock my car with the key, the lights didn't blink. I went to the car and it didn't lock itself as usual. I tried to press the lock and unlock button on the key but it wasn't responding (the truck still pops open with the key though). I got in the car and tried to start it up and nothing happened!!! No lights on the dashboard lit up and no sounds of the engine trying to start up. The car is completely unresponsive! I tried pressing the lock button on the door and the lights flickered a couple of times. I don't know if they did something when they were cleaning it at the car wash but now the car doesn't work (I did notice that the "Snow" button was pressed when I got back in my car). Last time I had the car serviced (about 3 months ago), the battery was fine and everything worked. I have never had any electronic problems with my car before. What should I do?

·
Registered
152 Posts
try unhooking the battery for about 10 mins negative cable then see what happens might help to reset.....

·
Registered
241 Posts
they may have cleaned your engine and got most of the sensors wet. i know when i used to detail cars i used to spray down the engine bay and the electrical connectors got wet and when they got wet the car would not start so i had to use an air hose to spray the connectors to dry them out and the car would start up again so check and see if they did with the engine bay at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I got AAA to come take a look at the battery (almost forgot I had a subscription) and they found out that one of the electronics (they suspect the alarm system) was draining the battery overnight. They ran some tests on the battery and said it was dead, but they thought I could revive it if I went out for an hour and drove it around. Within 20 minutes of taking it out for a drive on the parkway, the entire car dies! The worst part about it is that it was getting dark and the emergency flashers didn't work. I got my car towed to the Lexus dealership.

AAA noticed the date of manufacture on the battery was December 2006 when I had the battery replaced (due to failing a stress test) a year ago by the dealership. The battery has some ridiculous warranty of 84 months I think. Hopefully, the dealer will replace it for free!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Did you ever find out if the car wash people cleaned your engine bay? It could have something to do with getting the sensors and other wiring wet and then starting the car.

I hope its just a battery though. Much easier problem to take care of. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Resolution

So AAA towed the car to Lexus and they replaced the battery that has the 84 month warranty, so they did a 50/50 split in the cost. They also reset the computer and it solved the problem. Less than 48 hours later, the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer because I thought maybe they forgot to screw on a cap again as usual and it was actually the oxygen sensor under the passenger seat that went out. They replaced it and the car seems fine now, although that sensor was crazy expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.