Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 IS300. It's going on 7 years old, but it only has 65,000 miles. The maintenance guide recommends the timing belt be changed at 6 years or 90,000 miles. So, I'm over on the age, but not on the mileage.

What would you guys do? I'm not looking forward to shelling out $1k+ for a timing belt and other stuff getting changed when I may trade the car in the next year or two.

If it helps at all, it is under certified pre-owned warranty until October 2009 or 100k miles. Would Lexus cover it if the engine popped at 80,000 miles with a timing belt failure?

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
6,017 Posts
I have a 2001 IS300. It's going on 7 years old, but it only has 65,000 miles. The maintenance guide recommends the timing belt be changed at 6 years or 90,000 miles. So, I'm over on the age, but not on the mileage.

What would you guys do? I'm not looking forward to shelling out $1k+ for a timing belt and other stuff getting changed when I may trade the car in the next year or two.

If it helps at all, it is under certified pre-owned warranty until October 2009 or 100k miles. Would Lexus cover it if the engine popped at 80,000 miles with a timing belt failure?
Looks like you answered your own question. ;)

Change it and be safe. If it happened to break, your motor would be in a world of hurt.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
look at the belt see if there are cracks and test the tension. If you see cracks or if there is loose tension then you should change it.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
:jawDrop: $1k for a timing belt?!? is that what the dealer charges?!? anyways i would play it safe and do it but maybe not at Lexus

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand I probably 'should' change it, but I called the local dealership today and they said 65k miles was not enough for a timing belt change, even though it was a 2001 model. They suggested I wait another 15,000 miles or so.

So, again, if I have a certified Lexus pre-owned warranty and the motor blows because the belt failed prematurely, would I be covered under the warranty? I guess it would be up to the service rep and the regional service guy or whoever?

·
Registered
39 Posts
:jawDrop: $1k for a timing belt?!? is that what the dealer charges?!? anyways i would play it safe and do it but maybe not at Lexus
My dealer quoted $625 for the belt by itself or $825 for the belt + water pump etc.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
If you passed one of the recommended intervals for changing the belt then technically you should change it. Things deteriorate not just with mileage but due to time alone as well. If you left a car alone for 10 years... just because it wasn't driven doesn't mean things didn't break down.

Then again... if you are feeling a bit cheap... it's likely your timing belt would last you another year if you are going to sell the car. But as the person above stated... you should visually check your timing belt for any damage. My timing belt was still in good condition when I had it replaced... but I went thru with replacing it just to be safe.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm at 76k and still rolling the dice. Looking to move to another vehicle and really don't want to spend the $1200 the local Lexus dealership is wanting to charge for a timing belt/water pump replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Haha.. I'm at 105k. Still pushing it. No noises, nor any signs of bad tensioner, water pump, etc.

I wouldnt' recommend following in my foot steps, but 65,000 is a bit early. You should talk to a non-dealership for the labor. The labor rates at Lexus are incredibly high. Talk to a local shop, they should be able to get the parts (t-belt, seals/gaskets, plugs, water pump, idler pulley, tensioner) for $350 or so. Labor should be around 8 hours, and thats on the high side.

Also. The Supra N/A (2jz-GE) is recommended by the factory for a T-Belt change at 110,000 miles. Meanwhile, ours is recommended at 90,000. Probably just a safety precaution for the Lexus owners.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I got a is300 L tuned and its 104k miles making sounds and etc. Lol ned to replace mines asap and school starting soon. o no. =(

·
Registered
2 Posts
can someone tell me if a serious hesitation between 2nd/3rd gears or moving at any low speed could be related to the timing belt? i have a 2002 IS with 62k miles on it and the transmission serviced at 50k. everything works fine except the hesitation/lurching thing at low speed or between first two gears is f'ing annoying. ideas? thanks...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Did mine at 96K the belt actually looked decent, I just cant afford to not take care of something like that.

^^Not sure on your issue richard203 but hopefully someone will chime in.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
change the belt dude. well unless you want to have a blown motor. and no the etended warranty will not cover you if it breaks. you passed the service interval. now on the other hand, if you can get your dealer to put it in writing that you can drive another 15k on it, that would be a whole different story because then they would be responsible if it broke on you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i am speaking from the end that i do EVERYTHING myself. But i wouldnt change it, im at 105K 2001 and still driving, if the thing breaks the worse thing that can happen is I get a new engine for 300 and pop it in in a day. But knowing me, id probably to a aristo swap or something and that would give me a reason to do it.

Honestly though, ive seen some 2002 is300's with 150K+ on the original belt. Risky, yea, but none the less it happens.

If you pay more than 700 for all the oem parts and labor you are getting screwed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did mine last winter for around $800, all parts and fluids. 89k miles, the belts looked fine but the tensions felt a bit soft, and the idler pulley was rattling, didn't do cam seals, which is part of the service I believe. Dealer wanted over $2000, pretty obvious choice.

·
Registered
116 Posts
can someone tell me if a serious hesitation between 2nd/3rd gears or moving at any low speed could be related to the timing belt? i have a 2002 IS with 62k miles on it and the transmission serviced at 50k. everything works fine except the hesitation/lurching thing at low speed or between first two gears is f'ing annoying. ideas? thanks...
in a nutshell: No

If the timing is off on the engine you will see problems at all RPMS and gears. The timing belt is not directly related to the transmission in any way shape or form. I'd try cleaning your MAF for your problem, and resetting your ecu and see how it drives after.

To all those wondering about timing belts: The majority of the time the belt will last long past the manufacturers recommendation. However, it is a roll of the dice. I've seen belts last 180k, and i've seen them break at 50k. The manufacterer recommends those intervels as a safe intervel that isn't wastefull or unnecessary. I pushed mine to 104k and had signs of delamination. Bottom line is on an interference engine such as ours, its better to be safe than sorry. On a non interference engine i'd wait until i heard it slapping around or it broke, but thats just me.

-Ryan

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've got 100k on mine and I'm not worrying about it until 120k or until the water pump leaks. I work in Toyota parts and I have yet to see a belt blow on a Toyota that's either under 160k, less than 20 years old or sitting for couple of years.
Now I've heard some Audi's blowing belts at 40-50k, actually from tensioners failing, but that's a different animal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 is300 Only 50,000 miles

I own a 2001 is300 with only 50,000 miles on it. (The car is driven by my college age daughter) I took it to the dealer for a routine oil and filter change and he recommended replacing the timing belt for $650 plus labor. I asked him if the belt showed any wear or if there was any indication of failure beyond the age of the belt and he told me there wasnt but if I intended to keep the car, it was a good idea to replace the belt.

I will probably keep the car for another two years before trading it in.

I am not planning to replace the belt, am I crazy.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts