Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**UPDATE ON PAGE 4**
-----------------------------------
Hello everyone, my name is Ryan Hostetler and in a small shop in Tampa,Fl I am restoring and mildly building a 2001 IS300. I say restoring because this particular IS has had 2 previous teenage owners that loved ebay parts and cutting wires. Not to mention it has a rebuilt title...This car was jacked up!

-----------------------------------

This restoration and build started last August when a piece of a large oak tree fell and totaled my 2004 IS300 SportDesign.

Well, my cut-rate insurance company didn't cover this type of thing but I battled the property owner's homeowners insurance and got $8,700 out of them. That was fine with me because I was lucky to get anything at all and I only paid $9,200 for it in the first place. Oh, and I got to keep the car too.

So with my new found wealth, I went on my search to find another IS300. I came across this online...

The seller was a 17 year old kid and was asking $8,000. I looked it over, oil leaks, ebay turbo parts for days, fence post welded as an exhaust....pretty much jacked but the body and interior still looked good. It has a rebuilt title from getting hit on the passenger side wheel at a stop sign. I ended up talking the kid down to $6k. It's sad but that was the cheapest IS300 around at the time. 6 hours after I bought it, it started popping efi fuses left and right. 2 days after that, the electric fans shorted out...

When the fans went out I took it off the road and started working on it at my small 900sqft shop in Tampa,FL. That is when I started to find out how jacked up this car really was...

Here is a quick list of parts that had to be replaced...

Engine
Transmission
Front and Rear suspension subframe assemblies
Front and Rear bumpers
Driver and Passenger side fenders
Headlights
Engine Wiring Harness
Engine Main Room Harness
LOL!

Lucky me I still had my perfectly good, crushed, 2004 SportDesign parts car. so I started swapping stuff and quickly found the differences between 2002-2005 and 2001 IS300's. Mostly electrical, so none of the harnesses worked with the 01. Had to hunt those things down, still looking for an 01 engine harness at the moment.

After pulling the engine out of the 01, I found it had a 1jzgte block w/ 2jzge head...wtf??? The 2JZ-GE VVTi that was in the 04 had 125k miles on it, so I decided to do a fresh rebuild on it with upgraded internals and bolt on's.

Here is a current list of parts for the car...

Custom JE Forged Pistons (stock bore)
JE Pro Seal Rings
Brian Crower H-Beam Rods
Brian Crower 272 Cams
GTE Head Gasket
OEM Oil Pump
OEM Valve Seals
Blueprinted using OEM Engine Bearings
Head Hot Tanked, Decked, and Spec'd for the 272's
Borg Warner S366 Turbo
Tial 50mm BOV
Tial MVR Wastegate
3" Down Pipe
SRT 3" Exhaust
Custom -10 Fuel Rail
Fuel Injector Clinic 1100cc Injectors
Fuel Lab FPR
SRT Dual Fuel Pump Hanger
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump (x2)
All SS Braided Hose
Oil Cooler
Transmission Cooler
AEM V.2 EMS
AEM Wideband
Prosport Boost Gauge
Prosport Oil Psi Gauge
Prosport Oil Temp Gauge
Optima Battery
SRT Valve Body
18x9.5 SSR SP1's (Swapped over from the 04)

There is probably more but is not coming to mind at the moment...

The car sits at my shop still stripped inside and out. Im still waiting on a few parts to get here before I can start putting her back together. I will update this thread as the project comes together. Below are some pics of the car and a teaser of the S366 and intake manifold I got back from polishing last week :) Thanks for looking!

-Ryan

**UPDATED PICS**

Merica

Home Base

Old and busted

Re-do

Block Party

If Edelbrock sold a 2JZ crate engine, it would look like...

Will it blend

Touched up

In the hole

Murder Dip

Labor of love

Interfoolin'

From the back

Fart Cannon

FL2K13

Countdown to launch. TH400 build time!
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
wow this should be a good thread :)

sorry about the misfortune with the SD and sounds like the blue car was a few miles away away from doom lol, but between the 2 pluss the parts list you should have yourself one very fun/nice car

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow this should be a good thread :)

sorry about the misfortune with the SD and sounds like the blue car was a few miles away away from doom lol, but between the 2 pluss the parts list you should have yourself one very fun/nice car
Thanks man!

Yeah that Blue 2001 was almost beyond saveable. If I didn't have the parts car it would have been cheaper just to buy a 3rd one,lol. Here is a video of it I found on youtube, taken by the first demon child owner.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
nice build!!!! damn, everyone is building in florida!!! florida, the engine build state!

·
Registered
85 Posts
OMG! You have completely made out like a bandit and are going to eventually have a sweet car out of this deal. I am jealous for your ability to build from the ground up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how long did you wait for the SRT FFIM and 3" exhaust to arrive at your place?
The FFIM is actually made by XS-Power (2jz-ge) and sold by Club NA-T on ebay. It just bolts on to the factory runners.

The SRT exhaust took about 3-4 weeks to ship. Pretty nice welds but half assed in my book simply because it is just raw 3" pipe welded to a Vibrant resonator with a slip-on universal can. I expected it to be at least ceramic coated/painted like Apex-i does with their N1 exhaust systems.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Good luck on the build. Alot of quality parts here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sucks about your SD but it looks like your off to a good start with the new build. How power are you looking to make?
For now I am going to be limited to 500-600whp since im using the factory auto with extreme timing adjustments between shifts so the 3rd gear sprag wont have as much torque shock. Maybe it will hold, if not I have another Auto I can throw in it. But if I get a hold of a getrag or another trans that can hold power ill crank her out to 900whp. A billet wheel upgrade on the S366 will be required to make that power.

I am thinking about getting a 350z 6 speed manual and making an adapter plate, flywheel, and drive shaft. I had a 350z with a mess ton of bolt on's, 6 puck clutch, light weight flywheel, and 125 wet shot of nitrous. On top of that it was a drift car that saw at least 2 competitions a month....When it died it had 187,500 miles on it, I bought it in 2007 with 60,000. No problems with the car,engine,or trans what so ever after all the abuse I put it through. It took a Ford 150 hitting it at a stop light @ 50mph to kill it. Unfortunately I was not able to keep the Z since the insurance company totaled it out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How's the quality on the intake manifold plenum? And did the fuel rail come with it? Interested to see how it actually fits in the engine bay of the IS.

Also, what was wrong with the fenders on the blue car? I've been looking for a second set.
The quality on the XS-Power manifold is pretty good. The welds look solid to me. It does not come with any vacuum ports so I will have to drill and tap the bottom of it to install a port. I will let you know the quality of the aluminum once I have a chance to drill it.

The fenders have some rust spots/holes in them that were covered with bondo but unfortunately I am not able to sell them as they are being used for a BBQ smoker trailer....but that's another build thread that will be coming soon,lol. All I can say now is the silver SD will live on and see the road again ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 70 Posts