Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, if this topic has already been covered elsewhere (and I bet it has), forgive my negligence. I searched google / the forums for an answer, but couldn't come up with anything.

Last weekend I bought a used 2001 IS300. It's in great shape, and I love everything about it. Definitely enjoy my daily commute to / from work a lot more, even though it takes about half the time that it used to:)

Engine seems to be in great shape, interior is still beautiful, and the body is still flawless (for the most part). However... Last night I ran into the gas station and left the car running while my girlfriend stayed inside. On my way out, I was displeased to see that thepassenger side headlight bulb was no longer working. I'm guessing that it burnt out, but I'm no expert. I do however know for a fact that both headlights were working properly earlier in the day.

I've searched around the net for replacement bulbs, and have found that there is (obviously) a wide variety available, ranging from $10 to as much as $600+. Seeing as though only one of my bulbs is out, I would like to replace it with the same type of bulb as the driver's side, which to my knowledge, is the same bulb that the car was originally built with.

Is anyone able to give me the part / model number for standard headlight bulbs for a 2001 IS300? Were they originally built with one standard type of bulb, or were they offered with a variety? Like I said, I'm new at this, and know virtually nothing about Lexus cars, let alone IS300's. I'm used to driving a '96 Jeep GC that required very little maintenance, so I've never really had to look into this type of thing.

Any help is appreciated. Over time, I plan on investing more time and money into my IS300, but as for now, this is the only issue I've dealt with.

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
Here's a listing of all the bulbs.
http://my.is/forums/f90/is300-bulbs-2004-a-402678/

Question: Is the bulb still out or will it fire up from time to time? What I would do is swap the bulbs (right to left) to make sure it's the bulb and not the ballast itself.

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
The low beam bulbs are the D2R type.

Thing is tho... HID bulbs don't typically just burn out. They'll slowly turn pink and then start working off and on... and then go out. So if your light just suddenly stopped working... hrm... there might be more to it.

I would change the bulb by the pair if I were you. If one burnt out... the other one will be on the way out too.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The low beam bulb is a D2R type as the above post said. Im not sure if you are wanting to go with original dealership bulbs (they are hella expensive), there are a lot of cheaper bulbs out there. D2C will also work too. D2C is a combination of D2R and D2S, only difference in the D2R and D2S is the connector base. D2C, which are usually aftermarket, has a base that work in both applications.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bulb wasn't working this morning before work, but during lunch, I checked it out, and it was working fine. Obviously it isn't burnt out. I popped the hood and briefly checked the wiring, all seemed fine. So, for now, it is working, but I'd like to get to the bottom of things and determine what is preventing it from working continuously.

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
Swap the bulbs like I said, then you will know if it's the bulb or the ballast - that's the easiest way of doing it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swap the bulbs like I said, then you will know if it's the bulb or the ballast - that's the easiest way of doing it.
Tried this - Its definitely not the bulb. I've searched to buy the ballast, but could only find it in combination with entire headlight kits. Can you point me in the right direction of finding information on replacing the ballast? Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yep I think I'm having the same problem... the passenger side lowbeam went out, so I popped the hood and fiddled around... whatever I did, they're both on again. When I turn the lights on, I hear a relay on the passenger side (right by the headlight, sits on a post) make a crackling sound, is that normal? Is this the balast for this side? I can't tell where the balasts are on this blasted IS, everything is so crammed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
lol the ballast are those lil metal boxes that has a japanese hand symbol to NOT touch...normally located on or near your strut towers.

when i first got my IS i had to replace both bulbs somehow....i was not a happy camper as i paid 110 each for OEM D2R bulbs...

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
nooo

those are resistors for your DRL's the ballasts are UNDER Your headlights

·
Registered
543 Posts
nooo

those are resistors for your DRL's the ballasts are UNDER Your headlights
You sir, are correct. You need to remove your bumper, remove your head light housing, and then locate your ballasts which are bolted or screwed underneath your housing.

If you are going through all that trouble. Why not replace the whole set while your at it since everything is off?

·
Registered
11 Posts
i had the same problem and was lucky enough that it was just the bulb. the light got harder and harder to turn on (repeated flicking the switch on/off till it turned on) one day it finally wouldnt come on and when i was doing some other stuff in the bay i took the bulb out and sure enough the tip was gone so it must have been cracked and slowly getting weaker and weaker. just check the looks of it and if it looks fine then switch sides like others have said

ihave phillips d2r 4500k (stock) and will replace them with whatever brand i can get for a good price in 6000k. price does not change per rating

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, i justed purchased my Is300 01 2 months ago, am having the same issues. I replaced the d2r bulb, but its still not working. Am not sure what the plug is called that is connected to bulb it self, but it has no juice says the mechanic. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
What did your mechanic said? Strange that he just said there is no juice and left it at that ...

·
Premium Member
18,159 Posts
Wow, i justed purchased my Is300 01 2 months ago, am having the same issues. I replaced the d2r bulb, but its still not working. Am not sure what the plug is called that is connected to bulb it self, but it has no juice says the mechanic. Any thoughts??
Your mechanic is not very good at HID headlights, and as Johnny has mentioned, I can't believe if those were his exact words. unless he had a ballast tester, there is no way to measure the voltage going to the bulb with a typical meter because it is in thousands of volts(almost 10,000 volts upon igniting. What can be tested is the 12 volts that feeds the ballast. If there is voltage, the bulb is new or swapped from the other side, and it still does Nothing, its a bad ballast or connector. Usually a good ballast but bad bulb will try to ignite but shut off after a few seconds. This is because the mercury vapor gas has depleted or is leaking. there's the other possibility that he did not put the connector on right. I would ask him to see if he measured the power feeding the ballast, because if he told you otherwise, then he is blowing smoke up your arse.

·
Premium Member
18,159 Posts
What makes the bulb keep turning pink everytime I place a new one in. I messed up my wifes bulb on her IS to try it on mine
Usually when they turn pink/purple, that means the bulbs are at the end of their life and most of the vapor is gone. Not sure if you have a bad set or not. What bulbs are you using?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.