Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been searching google and this website, but I can't find a good guide anywhere. I want to change the front rotors and pads on the car, but I want to make sure there's no hidden techniques I should know about. I'd like to avoid any rebuilding of the seals and bearings or anything, so if that's not possible I'll just take it in.

Anyone have a guide or any information?

Thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
I did them myself, it's to be done the same way as on any other car. Take your wheels off, unbolt the caliper there are 2 bolts (I think it's 14mm) then while you have old pads on try to push on the caliper so the pistons will go all the way in (If they will not go all the way in you won't be able to put your new pads, they will not fit since that they are thicker ) so you can use a big screwdriver or something to pray the caliper but be careful not to damage rubber gaskets on the pistons(they are expensive about $175). After remove your caliper, pads,two little wire brackets, then put your new pads in the same way as the old ones been.To replace rotors you will need to remove a big metal bracket you will see how to unscrew it it should be easy I just can't remember now but I'm sure you will be able to do it. Make sure that you put a special grease that is usually provided with the pads on the pads side that will be touching calipers. Then put your calipers back and thighten evrything back.

If you need any more info P.M. me and I will send the diagrams from Lexus repair manual. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
its a pretty straight foward job, just a could of bolts on the caliper and a couple on the caliper bracket, no need to undo the brake line since you are just changin pads do get somethin to set the cliper on instead of it danglin by the line, change the pads, pull the rotors off, put the new ones on, put it all back together...im sure the DIY says all this, just thought Id "brake" it down for you :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts