Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2001 is300 with check engine light on. Error PO440. Have replaced charcoal emission cannister, gas cap, fuel overflow valve/sensor, and smoke tested. Engine light comes on after 70-90 miles after reset. Mechanic recommendation is to not overfill gas tank, pcv valve, but this has not solved issue. A recommendation is that dealer has to reprogram computer. Has anyone come across this problem and what was the fix?

·
2,977 Posts
Have a 2001 is300 with check engine light on. Error PO440. Have replaced charcoal emission cannister, gas cap, fuel overflow valve/sensor, and smoke tested. Engine light comes on after 70-90 miles after reset. Mechanic recommendation is to not overfill gas tank, pcv valve, but this has not solved issue. A recommendation is that dealer has to reprogram computer. Has anyone come across this problem and what was the fix?
If it popped up after a fill up it is a loose gas cap. Also it could be a bad seal on the gas cap. Retighten can and reset the cel. If comes up again. Replace the cap with an OEM cap and reset again. If that stuff does nt work let us know. We can go deeper after that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it popped up after a fill up it is a loose gas cap. Also it could be a bad seal on the gas cap. Retighten can and reset the cel. If comes up again. Replace the cap with an OEM cap and reset again. If that stuff does nt work let us know. We can go deeper after that.
I have replaced gas cap several times. Light came on again. Still runs fine though. Like I said, the mechanic that worked on it did the smoke test and checked all lines. Replaced several parts and finally said problem was with overfilling the gas tank was causing the overflow valve to malfunction. Replaced valve and reset code and ran fine for about 90 miles and engine light came on. Mechanic suggested dealer might have to reprogram computer?

·
2,977 Posts
I have replaced gas cap several times. Light came on again. Still runs fine though. Like I said, the mechanic that worked on it did the smoke test and checked all lines. Replaced several parts and finally said problem was with overfilling the gas tank was causing the overflow valve to malfunction. Replaced valve and reset code and ran fine for about 90 miles and engine light came on. Mechanic suggested dealer might have to reprogram computer?
No reprogramming. You have missed something. When you did the gas cap. Did you use the OEM or aftermarket? Also Did your mechanic close of the line at the canister when he smoked the system? This necessary to do it right. Other than that it would be a lose or cracked line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys new here. Had same P0440 code pop up too and some other one. Bought 03 Manual in So Cal from guy said it was good to drive but as is. Shortly after driving on freeway CEL turned on and TRAC light blinking. Called guy and said WTF, of course he didn’t know, sure whatever. Tried reset next day and would come on after about 15 min. Had mechanic reset and after a few hrs back on and also noticed gas smell in cabin days after I had it. Finally just replaced valve gaskets, spark plugs, PCV valve, wire set, ignition coils and intake inlet gasket all from mostly OEM from eBay. Also noticed and cleaned radiator line to throttle body with a small amount of mud pouring out of radiator hose that connects to it. After all said and done ALL lights off. Not sure what fixed it but PCV Valve wouldn’t hurt. Will post if anything new.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
426 Posts
You need to have a shop perform a smoke test. You can also do the test yourself with a smoke machine and a small air compressor at home. Amazon sells smoke testers for about $100-150

1 - 7 of 7 Posts