Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for anyone who had question about reliablity of Toyomotos kits, can now rest easy.

For those who don't know, I have a Toyomoto stg 5 turbo kit. I live in Miami Florida and just got back from the Tail of the Dragon meet in North Carloina/Tennesse.

Let me first say that anyone who loves to drive should go drive Deals Gap(aka The Dragon). This road has 318 curves in 11miles, but the surrounding roads are just as complex.

I was driving the dragon on 16psi of boost, and driving the car VERY HARD, most of the time I was sitting on the 6500rpm mark for a good amount of time. I drove the shit out of the car and pushed it to its limits, and the car still wanted more.

Then I had to drive back to Miami that same day, the car had NO ISSUES, it held up perfectly the entire time.

Mad props to Lance and his crew for creating a Daily Driving Monster that is capable of driving thousands of miles w/o any problems.

I will be posting a video of our trip that Jiggafett and I took, he can tell you that sitting in the passanger seat taking a corner at 130mph is an experience in its self. Ps Don't try that at home. :lol:

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
lol, yesterday when I talked to Randy I could tell by the sound of his voice he loved it!

Im waited on that video!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Freelance - Great to hear you had such a blast. You are definately due for a run of "good luck", you've earned it :lol: What kind of mpg were you getting on the trip. Just did a road trip this summer and got 20mpg even though the cruise was set at 85mph or above and lots of boosting too. I never thought I'd ever see such 'high' mpg again, I was quite surprised. These boosted cars are just so much fun on those long trips :D

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JAman said:
Freelance - Great to hear you had such a blast. You are definately due for a run of "good luck", you've earned it :lol: What kind of mpg were you getting on the trip. Just did a road trip this summer and got 20mpg even though the cruise was set at 85mph or above and lots of boosting too. I never thought I'd ever see such 'high' mpg again, I was quite surprised. These boosted cars are just so much fun on those long trips :D
Thanks buddy, I am due huh...

I was amazed as to my mpg, I was getting around 40mpg on the highway which was about 300miles to the tank, but keep in mind my gas tank is empty at a 1/4 of a tank. But I still spent about $250-$300 in gas that weekend. :crazy:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Randy,

Glad to here you had a good time. I wished I could have made the trip this year but maybe next time. We have a really great crew up here and are glad to have all of you guys come out to these meets and show us what Toyomoto and the Florida crew has going on.
Hopefully we can all get together for NOPI when you guys come up.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok ppl, I just finished the TEASER video, give me a few minutes to upload it to my server and I will start a new thread w/ the video.... 8)

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
i must admit, that is very impressive

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IS300GTE said:
i must admit, that is very impressive
Yeah man I must admit I was a little worried about driving it all the way up there, espically since I have really bad luck in the past so anything that could go wrong might have.

But much to my suprise everything held perfectely, and I drove that car to its limits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Which way did you go up from Miami? I live just outside Greenville, SC and was hoping I'd see you ride by. As far as I know, there aren't any turbo'd IS300s around here.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
That's awesome Randy,

reminds me of my trip to Dave's in Cali back in july. I drove solo for about 1900 (950 there and back) without a single hickup.

I didn't drive nearly as hard as you (only hitting 130 once or twice), and I'm only on a lowly stage 1 :lol: , but still, driving alone for that many miles is kinda scary sometimes. Especially when you did the work yourself! :lol:

Next time I'll be taking highway 101 down along the Pacific coast, may take an additional 6 hours, but hey, i'm up for it. :D

So when are you going to unleash the beast on us Randy? I wanna see that bad boy!

Kane

·
2,909 Posts
Freelance said:
... But I still spent about $250-$300 in gas that weekend. :crazy:
Say What!!!

Jeez man, I didn't realize how much you spent. You definately need a gas sponsor now.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tnm said:
Which way did you go up from Miami? I live just outside Greenville, SC and was hoping I'd see you ride by. As far as I know, there aren't any turbo'd IS300s around here.
We took the turnpike all the way to 75N, it was a pretty easy route.

Kanine21: I have a few minor things to do to the car first, than I will release new dynos and vids... Still though any major road trip in a Turbo IS says a lot about who installed it, mad props to you.... :D

·
Registered
807 Posts
I wish I could have made it to that ride! ! ! I had another event that took precedence though. Similarly, I made a trip to Miami back in March and have made 4 trips to Atlanta so far this year. 40mpg sounds amazing! The best I pulled was 26mpg and that was cruisin at 85. What boost were you running?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fusion: they were some fun roads, a good mixture of Tight corners and then Autoban style roads. I am using TRD sways, NEX coilovers and some under bracing.

DarkStorm: When we were crusing I really didn't get on it too much, mashing the pedal I can actually see the gas gauge go down, but if I keep it in cruise control I noticed that the car acts just like stock. On the way up there I was running about 13psi of boost, once we got to the dragon on in the general area, I turned it up to 16psi and used that all day long, and then some.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts