Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my new year's resolution is to redo the sound system in my IS, and of course I have a few questions.

I have done quite a few searches and have found a lot of great info, but I want to get it right the first time so looking for some intelligent input. Here is what I have sitting new in a box, awaiting install:
Alpine 7998 head unit
Infinity perfect 6.1 components
Infinity Kappa 692.5i 6x9s
ppi 5580 5channel amp
Monster 1 farad cap

My questions are these:
Looking to put one JL 10w6v2 (bridged to run at 400w rms off the ppi) or two JL 10w3's. I have read pleanty of threads where people have bashed JL for being overpriced and just a name, but I am sold on what these subs can do and am looking for intelligent advice not flames. Would the two 10w3's run well off of the amp or would I be better off getting just the one 10w6v2? Also could the 6v2 run for a long time with an amp bridged, running at this power? Should I run a ported or sealed box? I like the quick tight response (that is why I am going with 10's not larger) not that long bass growl.

My other question is that I was told the 6x9's would never be heard and were a waste of money.? Is this so, or would they add to the depth of sound within the vehicle?

Last but not least, does anyone have any links to really informative custom box building sites? I have seen some really trick jobs done to IS's on this site and would love to have that clean look as well.

Thanks for any input, and sorry for the long post. I just want to get it right

·
Registered
565 Posts
go with an 8w7 and you will be the most satisifies. That subs will be the clearest by far and will sound the best out of any sub out there. I have the 10w7 and it is loud though, however extremely clear. Maybe more than you are wanting though that is why i am reccomending the 8w7. It will do just as much and more than the 10w6v2.....

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
kustomwklass said:
My questions are these:
Should I run a ported or sealed box? I like the quick tight response (that is why I am going with 10's not larger) not that long bass growl.
If you want that tight bass, definately use a sealed enclosure.

My other question is that I was told the 6x9's would never be heard and were a waste of money.? Is this so, or would they add to the depth of sound within the vehicle?
There really is no need to use the rear speakers. Waste of money. In my system, I am not using the rear speakers at all anymore. I've gone both ways in my set up. Using and not using rear fill and there is really no difference. Only in the back seat is there a difference. But how often do you listen to your tunes while sitting in the back seat? :wink:
My set up now consists of 6.5 mid-bass and 5.25 co-ax up front with no rear fill and it's great. So IMO, you don't need that rear fill at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts