Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
If the subs you are speaking of have dual voice coils, then you need to worry. Dual 2 Ohm voice coils produce either a 1 ohm (parallel) or a 4 ohm load (series). Where as Dual 4 Ohm voice coils can produce either a 2 ohm (parallel) or an 8 Ohm (series) load. It's all about what you are looking for. If you want steadfast reliability, running an amp at 2 ohms stereo (4 ohm mono) is key. When you get into 2+ subs, you need to start figuring out Ohm's Law yourself. Here is a good site to start your education: here

·
Registered
99 Posts
^^You're wrong :shame:

2 subs, with 2 ohm DVCs each will produce either a 0.5 ohm load (parallel/parallel), or a 2 ohm load (series/parallel).

2 subs with 4 ohm DVCs each will produce either a 1 ohm load (parallel/parallel) or a 4 ohm load (series/parallel).

Don't believe me ? Take a look here :

http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html

wupike21, maybe you should take a look at that site yourself :wink:

·
Registered
50 Posts
CrownRoyal said:

2 subs, with 2 ohm DVCs each will produce either a 0.5 ohm load (parallel/parallel), or a 2 ohm load (series/parallel).

2 subs with 4 ohm DVCs each will produce either a 1 ohm load (parallel/parallel) or a 4 ohm load (series/parallel).

You need to learn how to read before you try to flame someone. Wupike21 was exactly right because Lexusaltezza only asked the difference so he explained what happens with ONE DVC SUB. not multiple ones like you are trying to show with your stupid link to jl cause you can't do the math yourself! learn to read. it'll do wonders for your intelect. :shame:

·
Registered
50 Posts
ltunedgirl said:
i also think that it's recommended to run at the higher ohm rating if your amp puts out enough power at that level

it is only recommended because the higher impedence usually produces less heat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
BigTymer8301 said:
CrownRoyal said:

You need to learn how to read before you try to flame someone. Wupike21 was exactly right because Lexusaltezza only asked the difference so he explained what happens with ONE DVC SUB. not multiple ones like you are trying to show with your stupid link to jl cause you can't do the math yourself! learn to read. it'll do wonders for your intelect. :shame:
Hahaha. Two things :

One : I wasnt trying to flame anyone, just wanted to point out the mistake. I apologize for my error. If I was going to flame someone, I'd use this little baby --> :pissed: :pissed:

Two: I provided the link for reference, maybe the poster might not understand how I came up with the numbers. I dont need it. I'm an electrical engineer, the first thing I learned was series/parallel setups :D

So before you come onto an IS board and try to flame people, how about you actually go out an get an IS first ? :wink:

·
Registered
29,505 Posts
CrownRoyal said:
BigTymer8301 said:
CrownRoyal said:

Hahaha. Two things :

One : I wasnt trying to flame anyone, just wanted to point out the mistake. I apologize for my error. If I was going to flame someone, I'd use this little baby --> :pissed: :pissed:

Two: I provided the link for reference, maybe the poster might not understand how I came up with the numbers. I dont need it. I'm an electrical engineer, the first thing I learned was series/parallel setups :D

So before you come onto an IS board and try to flame people, how about you actually go out an get an IS first ? :wink:
Uh oh. Smackdown has been applied. Both of you are right technically, although there aren't many amps that could handle a 0.5ohm load. If you can keep the amp cool, push it to it's limits. That's what I say. I don't believe in anything but 2ohms or lower. :D :chill:

·
Registered
526 Posts
HeHateMe said:
Both of you are right technically, although there aren't many amps that could handle a 0.5ohm load. If you can keep the amp cool, push it to it's limits. That's what I say. I don't believe in anything but 2ohms or lower. :D :chill:
I only like 2-ohms and lower. :D

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
ABCD said:
Peter_Klim said:
lexusaltezza said:
What is the difference between the two?
The difference is 2.
:lol:
heh heh :wink:

You like that? At first I thought you were calling me a FuckTard! LOL!!

I quickly started to reply back to myself so I wouldn't get flammed for being a smart ass, but got disconnect when I hit "submit". Luckily I was able to go back to copy what i wrote. Which is...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Peter_Klim said:
lexusaltezza said:
What is the difference between the two?
The difference is 2.
But seriously, to get to the point...

Ohm is the unit of measurement for resistance. The lower Ohm rating, the lower the resistance. Less resistance allows more current to flow. More current produces more Power (watts) but also more heat. Power is good, heat is bad (it kills amps).

Some amps are designed bettter than other amps, in that one positive characteristic of it, is that it can produce more power when lower ohm rated speakers are connected to it. But all amps at one point or another will start producing negative effects when the load/speaker's resistance drops too low for it to handle.

The ohm rating in a spk has NOTHING to do with sound QUALITY. The reason why there are so many resistance rating and coil configurations in subwoofers is to allow more flexability for an amp to produce it's maximum possible wattage.

In general, connecting 2 speakers/coils of the same resistance in parallel (positive to positive, neg to neg) halfs the resistance ( (2) 4 ohm speakers makes a 2 ohm load/speaker). Just think about it; two wires connected together makes a thicker wire, thus allowing more electricity can flow. You can also think of it as a thicker hose allowing more water to flow through. But putting them (or any ohm or number of speakres) in series (neg of spk 1 to pos of spk2), produces the sum of all speakers( (2) 4 ohms makes an 8 ohm, load; a 2 ohm and a 4 ohm makes a 6 ohm load).

...expect a quiz tomorrow morning...Class dismissed!

·
Registered
50 Posts
CrownRoyal said:
BigTymer8301 said:
CrownRoyal said:

Hahaha. Two things :

aww thats nice. you're an electrical engineer. well let me just post my credentials.

bachelors degree in computer science
mecp certified installer
own my own audio shop (almost 6 figures in profit last year)
work on a race team (bizarre intentions)
own a 94 tbird showcar (airbags, rims, paint, etc.)
01 i30 (everyday car)
looking to purchase an is300 for a slap project for my shop (just to
explain why i don't have one yet)

so basically you can get off your high horse and just quit your bitching :bitching:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for having the guts to come onto a message board and 'post your credentials'. Your medal is in the mail :whine: :whine:

I wasnt ever bitching. I apologized for my mistake like a man. I then just went on to say that Im more than familiar with series/parallel connections, and my numbers are right for 2 DVC subs. No bitching there.

Anyways, lexusaltezza, I hope you found your answer in this thread.

·
Registered
262 Posts
BigTymer8301 said:
CrownRoyal said:
BigTymer8301 said:
CrownRoyal said:

Hahaha. Two things :

aww thats nice. you're an electrical engineer. well let me just post my credentials.

bachelors degree in computer science
mecp certified installer
own my own audio shop (almost 6 figures in profit last year)
work on a race team (bizarre intentions)
own a 94 tbird showcar (airbags, rims, paint, etc.)
01 i30 (everyday car)
looking to purchase an is300 for a slap project for my shop (just to
explain why i don't have one yet)

so basically you can get off your high horse and just quit your bitching :bitching:
Wow where was I when this all went down... Yeah Crown Royal, I was talking about one dual voice coil sub. I know what I'm talking about, look at my previous posts and you can see that I'm not a n00b when it comes to car audio... No harm done...

Bill.

p.s. I HATE YOU ALL :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:
(j/k)

[edit] Actually, the above link does show what I was saying, right above the 2 sub examples.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts