Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29,484 Posts
it is the amount of impedance. Generally, the lower the impedance, the more power your amp will put out. Look at it in the same terms as overclocking a computer processor, so it will also put out more heat and need adequate cooling. Most amps these days are stable at two ohms and put out more power, usually double. It is really a flexibility thing when hooking up your amp, you can get the same power output from your amp with a single 2 ohm sub, rather than buying two 4ohms, and wiring them parallel, assuming that one speaker can handle it all. This is really general. If you tell me what type of amp you have, how many subs you plan on buying and what type, and what kind of power you are looking for, I could get more specific to what you can do.

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
Re: !

Montreal said:
Two 12" JL With A 2000 watt rockford amp stock head unit. I also ordered a 7" lcd screen for my Lint tray and a alpine dvd/vcd player for the glove!

Thanks
Ouch Fuckford Rusgate, Hope you don't like clean audio. Check the THD levels.

You need to see what impedance your amp is stable to and buy the speakers that will give you a matched impedance for max output.

If your amp can handle 1 ohm mono, buy two 2 ohm sepakers and wire them in parallel.

Fig

·
Registered
187 Posts

Fig said:
Montreal said:
Two 12" JL With A 2000 watt rockford amp stock head unit. I also ordered a 7" lcd screen for my Lint tray and a alpine dvd/vcd player for the glove!

Thanks

You need to see what impedance your amp is stable to and buy the speakers that will give you a matched impedance for max output.

If your amp can handle 1 ohm mono, buy two 2 ohm sepakers and wire them in parallel.

Fig
What? sure Rockford fosgate makes Killer products, uless you wanna spend a couple grand on an amp they are the best IMO, I rate Diamond audio the "best" but you could boost your car for the same amount as a diamond audio system

·
Registered
29,484 Posts

Montreal said:

Thanks
W7's? The latest Power series Rockford amps? Unless you need to run it a 1 or 2 ohms to get it to put out 2000 watts, just get 4 ohms and call it a day.

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts

low430 said:
Fig said:
Montreal said:

Thanks

Fig
What? sure Rockford fosgate makes Killer products, uless you wanna spend a couple grand on an amp they are the best IMO, I rate Diamond audio the "best" but you could boost your car for the same amount as a diamond audio system
Man, I installed competition audio for 7 years and all I am saying is that the clarity of the amplifiers is very poor. typical THD levels are .1% where most quality amplifiers I think should have at least .01% or .001%. Granted the amps are measured at 100KHZ and for a bass amp your typical freq range is 20-120HZ so it may not matter too much.

In general I think the RF power sounds "sloppy". But there are few out there that value sound quality over quantity. :roll:

Is 2000 watts the peak, RMS or WLS (when lightning strikes) rating??
And how are you going to supply the amp 2000 watts of power off your electrical system.

2000W/14V = 142A. I hope you have about 4 batteries and and aux. alternator just for the stereo :lol:

___end 2 cents here___
Fig

·
Registered
29,484 Posts

Fig said:
low430 said:
Fig said:
Montreal said:

Thanks

Fig
Man, I installed competition audio for 7 years and all I am saying is that the clarity of the amplifiers is very poor. typical THD levels are .1% where most quality amplifiers I think should have at least .01% or .001%. Granted the amps are measured at 100KHZ and for a bass amp your typical freq range is 20-120HZ so it may not matter too much.

In general I think the RF power sounds "sloppy". But there are few out there that value sound quality over quantity. :roll:

Is 2000 watts the peak, RMS or WLS (when lightning strikes) rating??
And how are you going to supply the amp 2000 watts of power off your electrical system.

2000W/14V = 142A. I hope you have about 4 batteries and and aux. alternator just for the stereo :lol:

___end 2 cents here___
Fig
No fucking way it is RMS, if so, I just don't understand it. Then again, Rockford rates all their stuff RMS, but I think they are doing it now at the lowest impedance. Shady IMHO. Without the model number, it's all a guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.