Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is a bit late news but i worked with the passenger that died in the crash and his brother also works with me and he showed me the picture of the car. his best friend had the IS300. i know the driver was driving stupid, but i would like to say first that no matter what he lost his life also and i wouldnt like for anyone to talk crap about him cause both familes are in pain right now. heres a news report i found on the internet. For the people that like to think their cars handle like BMW's they dont and please do not drive crazy on public roads. take it to the track and keep it safe.

By Larry Altman Staff Writer
Article Launched: 12/17/2007 10:54:47 AM PST

A driver and his male passenger were killed and two people in another car were injured in a collision in Rancho Palos Verdes, deputies said today.

A half-full broken bottle of hard liquor was found in the men's car, but it was unknown if it had been partially consumed or just shattered in the crash, sheriff's traffic Investigator Ray Souza said.

The crash occurred as the men traveled together at 10 p.m Friday in the 4100 block of Palos Verdes Drive South.

Souza said the Lexus was headed west near Schooner Drive when the car went off the roadway onto the dirt shoulder.

The driver overcorrected, sending the car back onto the pavement, but causing it to skid sideways. It slid into the eastbound lanes and was broadsided on its passenger side by a Chevrolet Tahoe, Souza said.

Both men were dead at the scene.

The Tahoe contained five occupants, but no one was seriously injured. The male driver complained of pain in his arm. His female passenger, who is 4 months pregnant, complained of pain to her head, leg and stomach. She was taken to a hospital for treatment.

The dead men's names were not immediately released pending notification of relatives. An autopsy will determine if the driver was intoxicated, Souza said.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
woww.... .uhhhh don't know what to say.

its a curvy road over there i know that for sure.

can you keep us updated. want to know more about the story

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
That is very sad to hear, PV is close to me.

In their defense (if the witnesses cannot say otherwise), I have spun out in PV roads before, and also have friends of mine, DRIVING normally.

It is an elevated area, and gets foggy and damp when the valley isn't. The only time I've ever spun out there was at normal speed and hitting a dirty/wet patch of gravel in the middle of the road. My friend in the same spot had the same thing happen.

In a spot closer to the base of PV another friend's IS also spun out, and was not pushing it. The roads get dirty and damp, are twisty and change surface shape, in a modified car with a less compromising suspension, it can go from cruising to loosing control all too easy.

Either way, racing/having fun or not, its very sad, and too far a consequence for a mistake we ALL make at least one time in our life (driving faster than the posted limit). It is saddening to hear.

B.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Ive never spun out here, then again Ive lived here 18 years an know the roads pretty well. know what to do an what not to do where...

Feel horrible about this, kinda old

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
That is very sad to hear, PV is close to me.

In their defense (if the witnesses cannot say otherwise), I have spun out in PV roads before, and also have friends of mine, DRIVING normally.

It is an elevated area, and gets foggy and damp when the valley isn't. The only time I've ever spun out there was at normal speed and hitting a dirty/wet patch of gravel in the middle of the road. My friend in the same spot had the same thing happen.

In a spot closer to the base of PV another friend's IS also spun out, and was not pushing it. The roads get dirty and damp, are twisty and change surface shape, in a modified car with a less compromising suspension, it can go from cruising to loosing control all too easy.

Either way, racing/having fun or not, its very sad, and too far a consequence for a mistake we ALL make at least one time in our life (driving faster than the posted limit). It is saddening to hear.

B.
you guys should voice any traffic safety concerns to the local City hall engineering department and they should review all safety factors pertain to that stretch of roadway....we commonly assume the roadways are always safe, but many factors such as obstructions, missing signage, worn pavement markings and weather conditions frequently change in real life....hopefully someone local would be considerate enough to bring that up to the City so that future incidents can be avoid...

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
you guys should voice any traffic safety concerns to the local City hall engineering department and they should review all safety factors pertain to that stretch of roadway....we commonly assume the roadways are always safe, but many factors such as obstructions, missing signage, worn pavement markings and weather conditions frequently change in real life....hopefully someone local would be considerate enough to bring that up to the City so that future incidents can be avoid...
as to the pavement in this section. its a landslide area so its constantly bad no matter how often they repave it.

but i understand what you mean

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
as to the pavement in this section. its a landslide area so its constantly bad no matter how often they repave it.

but i understand what you mean
I feel you ucdvwchan, but like Mike says, its a constantly changing place. Portuguese Bend has probably been repaved at least two times a year haha.

And I'm sure the rich peeps there let city hall have it all the time when something is just the slightest off.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I feel you ucdvwchan, but like Mike says, its a constantly changing place. Portuguese Bend has probably been repaved at least two times a year haha.

And I'm sure the rich peeps there let city hall have it all the time when something is just the slightest off.
That road is horrible, but in all fairness It clearly states with signs about the roads condition. I literally cant do more than 30mph there or else my car feels like a roller coaster from hell. I literally drive around the hill an extra 10min drive just to avoid the road.

If you've never been to Knots an want to know what Ghostrider is like drive fast there, jk of course just putting it into context.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
^^ Yeah, after I got coil overs, that road is a no-no. Its the ager of chassis and destroyer of struts haha.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
That road is horrible, but in all fairness It clearly states with signs about the roads condition. I literally cant do more than 30mph there or else my car feels like a roller coaster from hell. I literally drive around the hill an extra 10min drive just to avoid the road.

If you've never been to Knots an want to know what Ghostrider is like drive fast there, jk of course just putting it into context.
be careful with your new rims over there. you will bend your rims over there.
speaking from personal experience, but it was on the freeway

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
be careful with your new rims over there. you will bend your rims over there.
speaking from personal experience, but it was on the freeway
Thanks, yea theres no way in hell im taking them over that road, I finally got some coil overs too now so its just a major nono.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts