Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
181 Posts
get a ppi, otherwise standard maintenance, valve covers, spark plugs, tranny fluid, diff fluid, coolant exchange, fix leaks, etc.

·
Registered
2004 is300
22 Posts
My uncle used to “ if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”
But I’ve learned preventative maintenance is very important lol

Do a full run down
Check for oily wet spots in the engine bay with a flash light and underneath, oil pan, rack and pinion
Make sure your belt tensioner is good as well as the serpentine belt.
Clean out the air box intake and swap filter. Also cabin filter in the inside.

check oil level, and try to check consistently so that you know if the cars are consuming oil or leaking oil
Hopefully neither if they have been service properly.

Nice buys ! They look great!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I also have two of these cars. Here's my list from most important to least - in my opinion, of course...

Change all fluids: engine, trans, diff, radiator

Change air filters: engine AND the overlooked cabin air filter (which takes about 3 minutes to change)

Have alignment and wheel/tire balance checked. Fix as necessary

Inspect brakes. If you need anything more than pads - strongly consider the IS350 front brake upgrade. It is affordable and greatly, greatly improves the car.

Verify timing belt is in good shape - replace as necessary. When you're in there, be sure to replace the O-ring on the VVTi pulley on the intake cam.

Hook up a scan tool and check for codes - diagnose issues accordingly and replace the stuff that's not working

Remove wheel speed sensors and clean off any trash stuck to the magnetic tips. Pray you don't find much because it's a sign of rust chunks eating up the toothed rings

Replace radiator and all coolant hoses if not already done - the plastic end tanks on the radiator ALWAYS fail. It's a time and mileage thing. My 2002 failed a year ago with 130k on the odo. Enjoy removing the heater hose on the back of the cylinder head... :)

Valve cover gaskets - always start leaking. Not a showstopper, but obnoxious. Be sure to change your plugs and wires while you're in there. And order a set of coil connectors beforehand, because there is a 0% chance you'll be able to disconnect them without breaking.

With the miles, your entire chassis needs to be overhauled. This means new shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, toe links, bushings and whatever they call that little spherical bearing where the rear lower control arms pick up the upright. This is an expensive, time consuming job but WELL worth it. The car will drive like new. You can get away with OEM bushings in most places, but SuperPro or StrongFlex are better. However, it is an absolute MUST to get the Figs/SuperPro #2 caster arm bushing set. It's a huge improvement to these cars. This all probably sounds excessive, but I promise you, your entire chassis is plumb worn out - whether you realize it or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts