Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has N E one brought in their IS300 for its first inspection yet?
If so, can you tell me what they inspected.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I brought my car in for my 1,000 mile inspection and this is what they did (as stated in my no charge invoice):
- Check underhood fluid levels and top off as necessary.
- Inspect drive belts for tension, cracking, separation. Check hoses. Inspection window washers. Top off fluid.
- Set tire pressure.
- Courtesy car wash.

It took about 45 minutes.

Sam

[This message has been edited by SilverIS (edited July 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You mean they didn't change the engine oil??? It's VERY crucial to get an oil change especially during the initial break-in period.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info SILVERIS

Happy IS Driving

·
Registered
77 Posts
According to Lexus representative, you are NOT supposed to change the oil for first 5000 miles. Doesn't really make sense to me, either, but that's what they hold me.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Filburt,

That's total BS. They just simply think that their customers are idiots. They just can't offer the engine oil change free for you.

I have my ES300 and it's 61000Km on it now. Run as new. I changed my oil on 1500km, 4000km, 6000km and so on.

I feel sorry that Lexus have such stupid dealers fooling around marring your ownership experience. Shame on your dealer that you serviced your new baby.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Actually, I just had my done yesterday and no oil change either. I ask the service rep and he said no need to change oil until the 5000mile service. I think this maybe the policy throughout the entire Lexus chain. Actually, I believe my brother's Mercede also didn't get oil change in the 1000 mile checkup, in fact, the oil stay there until around 14,500, when the service indicator told me to go for the first service.

Daniel

·
Registered
138 Posts
The dealers are not idiots! Lexus vehicles simply don't need to have the oil changed until 5K. Why the hell would you think they would anyhow? Do you think they just throw together a bunch of dusty parts to make an engine? These cars aren't made in Detroit! Believe it or not, sometimes Lexus does know more than the customer.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i would think that after the first 1000 or so miles you _would_ need to change the oil because:

1) after all the manufacturing process, youre going to have even a little rough spots, maybe such as burrs on the metal moving pieces. even with today's strict production process, theres bound to be a possibility that the production of the engines dont conform to the exact specifications (and im talkin to within the 1/1000ths of an inch)

2) it doesnt hurt!!!! 30 bucks is nothing. its nothing compared to knowing that your engine is maintained properly and you have no worries also.

mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
I totally agree - Even though Toyota engines are generally good to go from the first mile, there is still going to be a good amount of metallic debris floating around in your oil due to the engine stretching its legs for the first time. 1000 miles is a good time to drop 30 dollars (which is what, an hour's salary for the average joe here?) and get a new oil filter and brand new oil.

After that, 3000 miles in between changes seems just fine, and I'm sure 5000 is safe, too. If I pay 300 dollars over 30,000 miles to ensure the longevity of my engine, I call that money well spent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts