Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had the 2002 5 spd about 6 months now, but there's one thing that bothers me. Whenever I'm rolling to a stop or downshifting, I can never put the car in 1st gear. There's like a lock on the gearbox so that it only shifts into 1st when the car is at a complete stop. This isn't that annoying except for pulling into driveways and stuff, (I have to come to a complete stop at the foot of the driveway, shift into first, then pull in.) Has anyone else experienced the problem, or better, does anyone know a mod that will fix it?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Yea, it happens on all manual IS. I think it's a new feature to all new cars, my cousin's 2003 6 speed celica does that too. It's not good to shift into first gear when you're rolling anyways. If you do a search, you can find out to shift into first while rolling you have to "match the rpm". (I don't know how to do that). I hope this helps you, and there isn't anything wrong with your transmission.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have noticed that on my 2002 too.

I guess we are not the only one noticed that.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I've got the PLP short shift in mine and with the added noise coming from the tranny, I think what I'm hearing is the synchros winding up if I try to put it into first on a roll. I think perhaps there's a limit to how high an rpm that the synchros for first gear work. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of mechanical knowledge, so someone else would have to confirm or correct me, but my '02 5spd does the same. I can get it into first at a very slow roll (1-2mph).

·
Registered
967 Posts
i wasnt able to put it into 1st either at first.. i would always have to slow down to 1-2 mph.. but after trying to downshift to first a few times i learned that u have to rev match it.. if ur goin about 20 mph you have to rev it up to about 3500 rpm and it lets u shift into first very eaisly.. i can shift my car into first while goin 30 miles an hour now.. it just takes a litle practice.. ohh yea and put a litle pressure on the knob while takin it into first (not too much tho) apply a litle pressure and once ur revs r high enough the trany lets u shift into first.. hope that could help u out

G

·
its prob the first gear lockout, just like how it doesnt let you go into reverse when your moving, its just a precaution.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
You have to use the good old technique of Double CLutching, basically matching the rpms but its more easily said than done. doesnt always work tho 4 some reason. same thing happen to my 5-speed. annoying! If youre doing a search on the matching rpms u'll have better luck searching under Double Clutch/Double Clutching. Basically you rev it up to say 3500 rpm (dont touch the clutch)...this is while rolling in neutral. then just when they start to fall (the RPMs) push in the clutch and you have to feel for where it will slide into first and then when you ease off the clutch, thats when you match the apx. rpm for the smooth shift. not sure if i clearly explained that. takes a couple tries and doesnt always work. Also, start off doing this at a low speed... i.e 15mph or so.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you guys ever plan on going to an autocross in your cars you'd better learn how to match revs and downgear into 1st by using some of the methods discussed earlier. You can shift our cars without a clutch (not reccomended) as well by having the RPM's corresponding with your speed and gear selected. Find an old beater that is standard shift and drive it around until the tranny blows up, you should have it down by then. 8)

·
Registered
19 Posts

Man talk about common sense here that people lack. Not to flame or anything, but why would you want to even DOWNSHIFT to 1st? You're going to fry your clutch, motor, and your transmission. The reason it doesn't let you shift into first while rolling is because it's not only a safety issue, but I doubt the syncro's in the transmission will let you do that while rolling.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Re: ..

bigbrizzle said:
Man talk about common sense here that people lack. Not to flame or anything, but why would you want to even DOWNSHIFT to 1st? You're going to fry your clutch, motor, and your transmission. The reason it doesn't let you shift into first while rolling is because it's not only a safety issue, but I doubt the syncro's in the transmission will let you do that while rolling.
going from 5mph-25 in 2nd gear isnt reccomended. U would need first gear for it but my 02 WILL not go in at 5mph even w/ double clutch. my 04 will.

safety issue? dont think so. transmission issue? how? the vibrations from having the car in too high of a gear (2nd gear rolling start) is what tears the tranny apart. As far as safety, you have more power to get out of someones way if youre in 1st gr. versus 2nd at 5 or 10 mph

correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
23,659 Posts
Yeah I think will go ahead and correct you and agree with bigbrizzle here...it is detrimental to shift into first gear while going anything past 5mph...

First of all, our cars have more than enough torque at 5mph in 2nd gear, and from 5mph there is absolutely no problem whatsoever with being in 2nd gear. I dread seeing how you abuse your 5spd if you shift from first gear at 25mph EACH TIME (thats over 4500rpm...talk about safety/reliability). The highest I will run 1st gear is 10mph, its used to start the car off and get it in motion.

Second...our cars are not built for autocross or other intense conditions that these style events put on a stock car. This is still a Lexus, people, and it can take some harsh treatment, but its not like this is the Racing Altezza or expensive transmission setup like with Team Lexus. Quit thinking your stock IS will perform beastly, you have to tune it and install racing parts on it...for it to be a race car...

My friend's Mustang GT, RX-8, RSX Type-S, dad's vette, and other cars with manual transmission do not allow for shifting into 1st gear after 5mph, maybe 6pmh simply because its undue wear on the transmission. Most stock transmissions are not made to be torn apart on the weekends by us, and thats why there are stipulations in the warranty against abuse (such as racing at every single light).

Don't get me wrong here guys, I love the cars we drive and I wouldn't have it any other way, but too many people on this site think that their stock IS 5-spd is a 12 second car and treat it accordingly, beating it up and mis-treating it as if they know what they're doing and at the end of every day they go into a garage and inspect the gears & clutch to make sure the wear was minimal and then go about repairing it. Just respect your cars and treat them right, and they will last you like a Lexus should, but if you do moronic things to them, dont go bitching and complaining when your transmission falls out in the middle of an intersection and scampers off to the Lexus lot begging for mercy and shelter from the abuse.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
magoo said:
Yeah I think will go ahead and correct you and agree with bigbrizzle here...it is detrimental to shift into first gear while going anything past 5mph...

First of all, our cars have more than enough torque at 5mph in 2nd gear, and from 5mph there is absolutely no problem whatsoever with being in 2nd gear. I dread seeing how you abuse your 5spd if you shift from first gear at 25mph EACH TIME (thats over 4500rpm...talk about safety/reliability). The highest I will run 1st gear is 10mph, its used to start the car off and get it in motion.

Second...our cars are not built for autocross or other intense conditions that these style events put on a stock car. This is still a Lexus, people, and it can take some harsh treatment, but its not like this is the Racing Altezza or expensive transmission setup like with Team Lexus. Quit thinking your stock IS will perform beastly, you have to tune it and install racing parts on it...for it to be a race car...

My friend's Mustang GT, RX-8, RSX Type-S, dad's vette, and other cars with manual transmission do not allow for shifting into 1st gear after 5mph, maybe 6pmh simply because its undue wear on the transmission. Most stock transmissions are not made to be torn apart on the weekends by us, and thats why there are stipulations in the warranty against abuse (such as racing at every single light).

Don't get me wrong here guys, I love the cars we drive and I wouldn't have it any other way, but too many people on this site think that their stock IS 5-spd is a 12 second car and treat it accordingly, beating it up and mis-treating it as if they know what they're doing and at the end of every day they go into a garage and inspect the gears & clutch to make sure the wear was minimal and then go about repairing it. Just respect your cars and treat them right, and they will last you like a Lexus should, but if you do moronic things to them, dont go bitching and complaining when your transmission falls out in the middle of an intersection and scampers off to the Lexus lot begging for mercy and shelter from the abuse.
If you werent being such an asshole and accusing me of driving like a moron (which I NEVER said I do) maybe you could PAY ATTENTION to what a said. Going from 5mph-25mph AS I SAID, in SECOND gear is not good. thats like 1100rpm (5mph in 2nd) and the car sputters (esp when down SHIFTING) try it sometime.

Secondly, I agree shifting in 1st at 10 fucks up the tranny (which I NEVER said otherwise). What I said is mine will not go in at 5 OR 10... basically only if im stopped. When did i say my IS was a 12 second car?

Thank you for your wasted input that serves no purpose. Excellent job posting crap!

Notice when you downshift next time slowing down in second the car will start to buck at 10mph or so... meaning its too high of a gear!!!!!!!

oh btw... you can ask just about everyone on here that has seen me, how I drive...almost granny-ish until i hit the freeway (love my new ticket--> 95 in a 70)

·
Registered
23,659 Posts
I dread seeing how you abuse your 5spd if you shift from first gear at 25mph EACH TIME (thats over 4500rpm...talk about safety/reliability).
I know you read this and saw the if...

but too many people on this site think that their stock IS 5-spd is a 12 second car and treat it accordingly
Sorry where did I refere to you in that statement?

Going from 5mph-25mph AS I SAID, in SECOND gear is not good. thats like 1100rpm (5mph in 2nd) and the car sputters (esp when down SHIFTING) try it sometime.
Just went out and tried is (as I always do when rolling to a light at 5mph) and worked like a charm...no sputtering, get your car checked.

Secondly, I agree shifting in 1st at 10 fucks up the tranny (which I NEVER said otherwise). What I said is mine will not go in at 5 OR 10... basically only if im stopped. When did i say my IS was a 12 second car?
Again when did I specifically refer to you?

Thank you for your wasted input that serves no purpose. Excellent job posting crap!
I'm a post whore what can I say

Notice when you downshift next time slowing down in second the car will start to buck at 10mph or so... meaning its too high of a gear!!!!!!!
My car is stock and it doesnt sputter in 2nd gear when I slow down, I'm in Gainesville if you really want to see, all kidding aside I'm curious maybe I have a super-special car.

oh btw... you can ask just about everyone on here that has seen me, how I drive...almost granny-ish until i hit the freeway (love my new ticket--> 95 in a 70)
I get tickets too, I really never accused you personally of driving like that, calm down.

I'm not trying to start any shit here, I actually respect you man, I read your posts everywhere and I think that for the most part everything you say is correct. Seriously I didnt mean to come off like an asshole.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
magoo said:
I dread seeing how you abuse your 5spd if you shift from first gear at 25mph EACH TIME (thats over 4500rpm...talk about safety/reliability).
I know you read this and saw the if...

but too many people on this site think that their stock IS 5-spd is a 12 second car and treat it accordingly
Sorry where did I refere to you in that statement?

Going from 5mph-25mph AS I SAID, in SECOND gear is not good. thats like 1100rpm (5mph in 2nd) and the car sputters (esp when down SHIFTING) try it sometime.
Just went out and tried is (as I always do when rolling to a light at 5mph) and worked like a charm...no sputtering, get your car checked.

Again when did I specifically refer to you?

I'm a post whore what can I say

My car is stock and it doesnt sputter in 2nd gear when I slow down, I'm in Gainesville if you really want to see, all kidding aside I'm curious maybe I have a super-special car.

I get tickets too, I really never accused you personally of driving like that, calm down.

I'm not trying to start any sh*t here, I actually respect you man, I read your posts everywhere and I think that for the most part everything you say is correct. Seriously I didnt mean to come off like an asshole.
Well then I guess I mis-interpreted some of what you said. Either way, I have two (2) 5 speeds and BOTH of them buck in second gear if you are slowing down w/o putting in the clutch at about 10mph-ish

All other manual ISs Ive driven do it too.

·
Registered
23,659 Posts
It's possible that mine has something to it, being that I've taken it in for tranny problems on more than one occassion, and in one instance they replaced the whole transmission thanks to that really annoying ticking noise, but it apparently got too bad and they couldnt fix it when it was fixable, so they had to give me a new tranny. Who knows, maybe I think 5mph is actually 10mph, oh well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.