Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I run 225/40 up front and 235/40 in the rear?

Just wondering since I'm going to replace my tires before I get my IS boosted.

Will I have a problem rubbing with around a 2" drop all around?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So its a bad idea to stagger the tire size? For traction and handling purposes doesn't it make more sense to have bigger tires in the rear?

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
MonStar1120 said:
So its a bad idea to stagger the tire size? For traction and handling purposes doesn't it make more sense to have bigger tires in the rear?

yeah I know why people do it, belive me "staggered wheels" is not whats it is cracked up to be :lol:

It has its advantages and disadvantages

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Go 245/35/18 in the rear.

You can also do the same size in the front with that offset although you may need to mod the fender liner.

And yes, the IS has the best balance with the same size rubber all around. It already understeers as it is...staggering the tire setup will only make it worse.

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
If your gonna do staggered tires then stagger the wheels too.

Get an 18x9.5 +56 in the rear with a 255/35

Its pointless to stagger tires on the same wheel size especially if you are only going to go to a 235.

Everytime its time for you to rotate your tires you cant just swap sides or front to back any of that you have to go to the tire shop have them taken off the rim and remounted and balanced. So tire rotation is a day without your car task.

Keep this in mind with staggered wheels cause i didnt and too be honest i like the look but i really hate it cause its a pain in the ass to keep them rotated not to mention expensive.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I agree dont stagger ur tires.. u wont see much of a difference..

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
naphibuzz said:
I agree dont stagger ur tires.. u wont see much of a difference..
I'm going to have to disagree I have SSR comps 18x8 up front w/225/40/18 and 18x9 in the back w/255/35/18 besides the look factor wich I have to say it's bad ass,it improved the overall handaling of my car,and I'm probably going to switch to 235/40/18 up front the 225 look a tad on the stretched side.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
jvillagran2000 said:
I'm going to have to disagree I have SSR comps 18x8 up front w/225/40/18 and 18x9 in the back w/255/35/18 besides the look factor wich I have to say it's bad ass,it improved the overall handaling of my car,and I'm probably going to switch to 235/40/18 up front the 225 look a tad on the stretched side.

pssst..

You have staggered wheels not just trying to stagger rubber

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
If you need more traction, I'd say go for a stickier compound, not wider print.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It will create massive understeer. It will be awesome for looks, but you'll lose a little handling especially if you like to drive through the twisties....

-Yamaha Dave

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
jvillagran2000 said:
While I agree it may handle better because you have more "traction compared to stock"...you haven't truly experienced real driving in a timed event. It is well understood that the IS chassis does not repond best to a aggressively staggered setup unless you are a straight line racer. Even mild stagger will result in some understeer which is the slow way around a track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts