Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if they'll fit without ANY modifications? Tein S-Tech drop, a little over a 1-finger gap in the rear.

Or should I go with 235/40? Or 245/35?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
245/35 will fit just fine. I'd suggest running that up front too with some minor wheel liner mod.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
TeCKis300 said:
245/35 will fit just fine. I'd suggest running that up front too with some minor wheel liner mod.

what kind of modding did you do to your front fender liners?

I modded mine a bit because i was rubbing with 225's, but i plan on throwing the widest tires i can up front for the grip.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
You will have to fold the metal tab up against the fender as you can see that it wil rub in this area. You can do this bare handed or with the handle of a hammer. Once you fold it back, the plastic clip won't be able to clip the liner back. Take the plastic fender liner and put it behind the metal tab to hold it. Then take a heat gun and massage that hump in the liner so it is inverted away from the tire. This mod may also be necessary even on a 225 if you are slammed with low offset wheels and/or you turn very hard.

I also folded the rest of the fender while I was at it but don't really think it is necessary. Prob depends on the tire you choose as some run slightly wider others.

I wouldn't suggest a 245 on any offset lower than 47 and no higher than 50 on an 8" wheel. Check the clearance on the backside against the upright if you have a 50mm offset. 48 is about perfect for the front.

Reactions: IS JOE

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
thanks for the pics paul, thats actually EXACTLY what i did with mine. I did it with the 2 tabs in the fender. The one toward the door, and the one toward the front of the car. I had more rubbing on the one toward the door. THe clip was almost gone.

I think I may try and grind the fender itself down a bit when i am capable and then see how it goes.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Yeah...I did it with both tabs but the one in the rear gets more of the rubbing action as you can see. I would just fold it rather than grind as the extra metal there helps keep the integrity of the fender better.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
245/40 is what I am currently running up front right now, honestly I strongly advise a 225 or 235, running a 245 up front wide stock fenders is pushing it. Right now I am running a 18x8.5 +50 and I am about 2mm from the wishbone. Every wheels manufacturer and distributor I've spoke with has told me I am crazy for running such a offset. Depending on how much you're dropped, you're probably going to rub through plenty of liners also. I have completely rubbed one liner to the point where it fell off itself.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
You're running a 245/40 on an 8.5" and +50..... That is considerably more rubber/wheel than what I have recommended. It's the height of your tire that is causing you to go through liners....

Consider this: Your tire is a full 1" taller than a 245/35! Also, your wheel setup puts you 6.35mm closer to the suspension and 4.35mm closer to the fender.

245/35 on an 18x8 wheel and +48 offset is the trick.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Ideally, for rear, I would run a 255 or 265 with a 18x9 and 53+ offset keeping in mind that anything too staggared will only induce more understeer.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
TeCKis300 said:
You're running a 245/40 on an 8.5" and +50..... That is considerably more rubber/wheel than what I have recommended. It's the height of your tire that is causing you to go through liners....

Consider this: Your tire is a full 1" taller than a 245/35! Also, your wheel setup puts you 6.35mm closer to the suspension and 4.35mm closer to the fender.

245/35 on an 18x8 wheel and +48 offset is the trick.
haha my fault i thought u said 245.40

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
BigDaddyRich said:
245 on a 8" wheel is a complete waste of time. But it's your car

Why do you say that? 245 is about the widest proper fitment for an 8" width wheel.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
yea most tire manufacturers say that an 8 inch wheel is sufficiently wide for a 245 tire, i dont see what the problem is. Its not like we are tryin to stick a 245 on a stock sized rim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts