Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get ready for some bonehead questions as I know nothing about putting bigger tires on a car....

What woud I need to do to replace the stock 17" with some 18" wheels? Is it as simple as taking one set of wheels/tires off and putting on the other (ie, just the lug nuts)? The bigger wheels would fit without a problem? Would I need to raise or lower the car? What about rebalancing? Or getting a new 4 wheel electronic alignment?

Besides looks, what would the bigger wheels do? How much better handling? Less thread life? Worse in the rain?

Thanks in advance!
Rick

Silver 02 IS300

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
ender said:
Get ready for some bonehead questions as I know nothing about putting bigger tires on a car....

What woud I need to do to replace the stock 17" with some 18" wheels? Is it as simple as taking one set of wheels/tires off and putting on the other (ie, just the lug nuts)? The bigger wheels would fit without a problem? Would I need to raise or lower the car? What about rebalancing? Or getting a new 4 wheel electronic alignment?

Besides looks, what would the bigger wheels do? How much better handling? Less thread life? Worse in the rain?

Thanks in advance!
Rick

Silver 02 IS300
If you order some wheels, when I say wheels I mean rim and tire, the tires are normally mounted and balanced on the rim. All you need to do is jack your car up and take off the lug nuts. Put the new wheel on and put the lug nuts back on. There's no real need to get an alignment but you can if you want.

You probably won't notice much of a difference from 17s to 18s. The treadware and wet handling is dictated by the tire.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
just wanted to add a few details to lambchops. There is a good chance that the stock lugnuts won't work. Most aftermarket wheels need tuner lugs which have a smaller outside diameter to fit in the holes. It's always a good idea to get an alignment when ever you buy new tires, 4 wheel is a must, my rear was off more then the front. Personally I think it's mostly for looks cause when you go with 18s or 19s you actually lose performance (acceleration wise) the ride gets harsh and I think 45 series tires offer more then enough performance for the street, but damn big rims looks hot.

·
Registered
793 Posts
17s give the best compromise of ride, handling, looks, and price, in my opinion. If you get new rims, keep some stock lug nuts in the car in case you need to use the spare. Also, be sure you have the right size lug wrench for the new lugs. My summer lugnuts are different than stock, so I keep a breaker-bar and socket in the trunk, hoping I never need it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the advice. I am still 50/50 between 17" and 18". I do care more about performance (handling/cornering) so would probably prefer the better 17" tire than the less 18" one (at the same price). More research needed on tire prices!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
ender said:
Thanks guys for the advice. I am still 50/50 between 17" and 18". I do care more about performance (handling/cornering) so would probably prefer the better 17" tire than the less 18" one (at the same price). More research needed on tire prices!
Believe me, your performance will be just fine with 18's. 19's would be a different story. If you go ahead and get bigger wheels, you're going to want to lower the car at least 1 inch in order to avoid making your car look like a 4x4. 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.