Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
17x9 45mm-51mm will fit nicely
Keep in mind different wheel manufacturers have their own ideas as to offset.

I have had 18x8 wheels with a 52mm offset fit in the rear just as nicely as a 18x9 with a 45mm. I also had a 17x7 with a 43mm fit nice too.

I know of a 18x10 with a 45mm that fits with a rolled fender.

So anything between 44-50mm will be ok

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gosh that is a high offset. I was thinking something in the 38 range.

Thanks for the info though:)

I am looking to go 17x9 in the rear with a 245 or 255 /40
and 17x8 in the front with a 215 or 225

I don't mind rolling the quarters/fenders at all.

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
aaronyoung said:

do you want the 17's for weight? if so i gues its for racing, and if this is the case, you will further excentuate the understeering characteristic of the car with that stagger. only thought, should look mean otherwise

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
BigDaddyRich said:

I have had 18x8 wheels with a 52mm offset fit in the rear just as nicely as a 18x9 with a 45mm. I also had a 17x7 with a 43mm fit nice too.

hey BD-rich, for reals an 18x10 rim + tire will fit in our rear. So i imagine a tire that is 275ish then right?

and do you know how extreme the roll would be in the rear?

do you think a SSR rim thats 18x10 would work bro?

thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
somguy2u said:
aaronyoung said:

do you want the 17's for weight? if so i gues its for racing, and if this is the case, you will further excentuate the understeering characteristic of the car with that stagger. only thought, should look mean otherwise
yes it is a track car.
475whp with 475ft/lbs of torque will keep the rear wheels pretty busy.

I want the 17's because they are cheaper to replace, and tire cost is a little bit lower.

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
aaronyoung said:
yes it is a track car.
475whp with 475ft/lbs of torque will keep the rear wheels pretty busy.

I want the 17's because they are cheaper to replace, and tire cost is a little bit lower.
I just got a set of 17x8 SSR Competitions. I'm putting 245/45/17 Falken Azenis on them. They should just BARELY fit up front.

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
aaronyoung said:
by all means let us know if they fit :)
Of course! The good news is the 17" SSR Comps fit over the Rotora BBK with room to spare.

The tires should be arriving this week. As soon as I get them mounted, I'll post the info.

If I wasn't set on the Azenis, I would've gotten a 235/40 tire instead. That'd would fit for sure (I have 235/40/18s on now).

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
goldznnz said:
BigDaddyRich said:

hey BD-rich, for reals an 18x10 rim + tire will fit in our rear. So i imagine a tire that is 275ish then right?

thanks
I dunno man here's a pic of my friend Charles (isman) setup thats a 18x10/45mm with a 265. he's going wider tire soon I was told, he just wearing these out first.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
BigDaddyRich said:
goldznnz said:
BigDaddyRich said:

thanks
I dunno man here's a pic of my friend Charles (isman) setup thats a 18x10/45mm with a 265. he's going wider tire soon I was told, he just wearing these out first.
Hey Rich, i spoke to Charles about the rims and he said the 10s in back rub quite a bit. He has plans for fender flares soon so he's keeping the rims. I think if you dont want to go with flares then stay away from the 18x10.

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Ok, got the 245/45/17 Azenis mounted on the 17x8 SSR Comps. Very meaty setup. I test fit the front wheel and it fits, pretty much.

A) There is rubbing on something (very minor) at about 3/4 to lock, can't really tell what it is.
B) The tire sticks out PAST the front fender by about 1/4 or so. So if you car is dropped too far, it's not going to work. Even with the Hotchkis springs on, I still had about 1/2" gap, so I'm not worried. But I haven't really loaded it yet, don't know how far it will dip.

I didn't fit the rear wheel, but it looks like it will be ok. I MIGHT need to roll the rear fenders - depends on how far the increasing camber of the rear suspsension tucks it in.

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Also, interesting note. I also mounted a set of 225/45/17 Azenis on my stock wheels (for Steve's car) and stacked them next to the tires (225/45/15 Hoosier on a 15x7 wheel) for the Miata. The Hoosiers stack is about 1" higher. Which means that the 225 is wider than the other 225. Arg.

·
Registered
253 Posts
what offset do you have in the ssr comps to make the 245's clear the steering knuckle?
Also, have you noticed any loss in acceleration with the taller tire? I think my 235/40's accelerate better than my 225/45 azenis, but who knows, it could all be in my head.
Thanks for the update.

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Dave said:
what offset do you have in the ssr comps to make the 245's clear the steering knuckle?
Also, have you noticed any loss in acceleration with the taller tire? I think my 235/40's accelerate better than my 225/45 azenis, but who knows, it could all be in my head.
Thanks for the update.
Whew, I didn't even think that'd be an issue. Guess I was lucky. They are +38 offset.

I haven't driven on them as a set yet. I just fit one front wheel and drove around my block a little, steering lock to lock. I do have to test fit the rears, so that'll probably be enough reason to throw all four on. But it won't be until the weekend at least (going out of town tomorrow).

Honestly, I think the 245's are overkill for my N/A car, but damn do they look mean. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not exactly apples to apples, but here's some info from my experience...

I've run 18x8 +47 235/40 (front) and 18x9 +55 255/40 (rear) SSR comps without rolling and they fit. They'll also clear 14" Stoptechs front and rear.

I think a 245 on that 8" rim would also clear with the front fenders rolled but I'm not positive.

With the same 18x9 SSR's up front (you'll need a 15mm spacer) you _may_ (probably not) be able to get a 235 to clear the fender with the fender competely rolled. A 245/40 ain't going to fit. I'm not sure that you could fit a 17x9 up front with the same offset either, at least not without griding away some of the knuckle.

You can get an 18x10 to fit under the rear with the fender rolled, but I don't see how +45 is anywhere near enough offset. Figure for ~63mm of positive offset.

Offset can be a bit misleading. I've seen some variance from different manufacturers as they all seem to have slightly different rim lips or account for them differently. Back/frontspacing is the best way to measure but is usually really only applicable when you order custom 2/3pc wheels. Also a lot of the newer tires with built in rim protectors are wider at the rim edge than tires without.

I'm currently running 18x10"s front and rear with 275/35's. In the rear I rolled the fenders pretty aggressively (there's still more to roll if I needed it) and they don't rub. In the front I've got Wald flares and even with the flares spaced out an extra 3/16" the tires don't fit underneath. That's with the camber at ~-2.0. The front tires also hit the aft center of the wheel well at ~5/6th lock.

Don't forget the importance of proper wheel width. I've always felt that a most 245's work best on 9" wheels. Most 275's work best on 10" wheels. Most 225's work best on 8/8.5" wheels. There's a lot of variables but something to keep in mind.

If the Hoosier's mentioned previously are their Autox or Road Racing tires then don't expect _normal_ street 225's to be anywhere near as wide. I autoxed a MR2 Spyder last season and those 225's fit about right on a 9" wheel. They're freakin wide! Azenis also tend to be a wider than normal... I'm surprised the stack was only an 1" shorter.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
- damn, the front lip looks fuccked... could be the lighting though...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.