Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
What's all this, then?
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I remember reading someplace in the owners' manual about IS250s with 16 inch tires. I don't remember that as an available option.

Would it be possible to swap out the 17 inch wheels for 16 inch wheels, as a way to use higher profile tires that might last a little bit longer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sure it should be available, as that's what I'm using here (Australia); I found the 17" to be too noisy on the poor surface of Sydney roads, and was giving me a headache.

·
Registered
1 Posts
flyguyscott - where did you get your 16 inch rims from? also, do you have any pictures of what it looks like. I am debating on getting smaller rims. I've already dented 3 of mine hitting potholes in NJ.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Why??? Tires will wear no matter how big or small, its not worth it IMO.
The lower profile the tire the less sidewall, and the less protection the rim has from being damaged.

The rubber-band-thin 30 series tires you see on the ridiculously large rims some people use offer very little protection for your rim if you hit any decent pothole. (plus it'll probably ride like crap with a tire profile that low)

Using a smaller rim would, besides providing a rim that's likely a lot cheaper to replace, let you run a 50 or 60 series tire that protects the rim better and offers a smoother ride too as well as offering more tire choices in touring type tires with longer tread life.

Bigger ain't always better.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I just ordered a set of 16" rims and 205/55r16 tires for winter for the is250 AWD.

Haven't checked the fitment yet, but eyeballing it, it seems the 17" rims have at least a 3/4" clearance around the brakes so I should be OK.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Flyguyscott, did you get the tire pressure sensors installed with your winter rims? I am looking to buy a set of 16" winter tires and rims. What size of tire did you go with and where did you buy them?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I bought from Tirerack.com. Went with the cheapest 16" alloys, TPMS sensors, and DUnlop WIntersport 3d in 205/55r16. Came to about 1200$

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate the bumpiness of the ride with the 17" tires. In California you can only get an IS250 with 17". They are coming out with a "base" version of the IS250 that will have 16" rims. How much worse is the handling with 16 vs 17" rims? Is their an aftermarket where I can sell my 17" rims?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hate the bumpiness of the ride with the 17" tires. In California you can only get an IS250 with 17". They are coming out with a "base" version of the IS250 that will have 16" rims. How much worse is the handling with 16 vs 17" rims? Is their an aftermarket where I can sell my 17" rims?
Funny you say that, I just noticed the other day how less bumpy the ride is with the 16" winter tire/rims - but thought this would have to do with our bad roads here - I didn't think this would be the case in California, you guys have the best roads and highways

My winter setup is 16" sport rims from TireRack with 215/55R16 W60 Blizzaks - and they are just unbelievable in the snow - we just had 25cm of snow two days ago and I had to leave before any roads were plowed and my IS just moved like it was nothing - who needs an SUV!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Soft, and directionless. Handling sucks. Of course, I'm using high profile winter tires, so you may get better results with performance tires. I'll be glad to get back my 17s when March rolls around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts