Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through my dealer's 15k service list, and along with oil changes, and checking brakes, suspension, etc, they "Change the ATX fluid, and diff fluid". Is this really necessary at 15k miles?

They quoted me $349.95 for THEIR 15k service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
The dealership around me cost about $300.

I'm dinking about heading to a local shop to do all my maintainence work, half the price of what the dealership cost.

Question: As long as i show proof that all work is being done according to the manual and stamp'd for authenication, everything should be o.k., right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,031 Posts
BugginOuT said:
So i guess that's a "yes" to my question, right?
Sorry, i'm at work and reading through everyone's post and forgot your original question. Yes, it would be a good idea to change it because when they drained mine, it was pretty dirty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
JDM_SXE-10 said:
BugginOuT said:
So i guess that's a "yes" to my question, right?
Sorry, i'm at work and reading through everyone's post and forgot your original question. Yes, it would be a good idea to change it because when they drained mine, it was pretty dirty.
Huh?

What does this have to do with my question? :lol:
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
4,811 Posts
yo, THE AUTO TRANNY FLUID ABSOLUTELTY DOES NOT NEED CHANGING. IF you read through the owners manual, there is no need to change this fluid until 120K and that is only under extreme driving conditions.

Even on the dipstick it says that under normal driving conditions this fluid should never be changed. Save your cash don't get ripped off.
70K and all I need is oil ;)
I have never done a "scheduled" service. It is usually $400 in "inspections". Funk that I keep my money.

FIg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Not really anything to do with your question, but when I did my 15K, they replaced my brake pads all around for no extra fee...they charged me $300+ anyways, but maybe you can get them to change your brake pads for the fuck of it. Can't hurt to have brand new ones. :roll:
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
4,811 Posts
Fig said:
yo, THE AUTO TRANNY FLUID ABSOLUTELTY DOES NOT NEED CHANGING. IF you read through the owners manual, there is no need to change this fluid until 120K and that is only under extreme driving conditions.

Even on the dipstick it says that under normal driving conditions this fluid should never be changed. Save your cash don't get ripped off.
70K and all I need is oil ;)
I have never done a "scheduled" service. It is usually $400 in "inspections". Funk that I keep my money.

FIg
and I quote myself no it is not necessary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fig said:
Fig said:
yo, THE AUTO TRANNY FLUID ABSOLUTELTY DOES NOT NEED CHANGING. IF you read through the owners manual, there is no need to change this fluid until 120K and that is only under extreme driving conditions.

Even on the dipstick it says that under normal driving conditions this fluid should never be changed. Save your cash don't get ripped off.
70K and all I need is oil ;)
I have never done a "scheduled" service. It is usually $400 in "inspections". Funk that I keep my money.

FIg
and I quote myself no it is not necessary
oops....hey! thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,874 Posts
YodaIsGod said:
Fig said:
Fig said:
yo, THE AUTO TRANNY FLUID ABSOLUTELTY DOES NOT NEED CHANGING. IF you read through the owners manual, there is no need to change this fluid until 120K and that is only under extreme driving conditions.

Even on the dipstick it says that under normal driving conditions this fluid should never be changed. Save your cash don't get ripped off.
70K and all I need is oil ;)
I have never done a "scheduled" service. It is usually $400 in "inspections". Funk that I keep my money.

FIg
and I quote myself no it is not necessary
oops....hey! thanks!
I think it is time for someone to get s subway sangwhich...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
I am also ready for my 15K service...the manual basically says oil change, rotate tires, re-torque drive shaft bolt, and "check" everything else... When they rotate tires, do they balance them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
AFAIK the 15K service in Scottsdale, AZ ( some call it the Bevery Hills of Los Angeles ) is around $550!!! Talk about a dent in the wallet. I was looking to get an SRT intake soon but with this service lurking the SRT might have to wait a few months.... unless...... suggestions?? Anyone local to Phoenix have a better shop in mind?? Maybe Bell Lexus?? HELP!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
xjayx300 v2.5 said:
YodaIsGod said:
Fig said:
Fig said:
yo, THE AUTO TRANNY FLUID ABSOLUTELTY DOES NOT NEED CHANGING. IF you read through the owners manual, there is no need to change this fluid until 120K and that is only under extreme driving conditions.

Even on the dipstick it says that under normal driving conditions this fluid should never be changed. Save your cash don't get ripped off.
70K and all I need is oil ;)
I have never done a "scheduled" service. It is usually $400 in "inspections". Funk that I keep my money.

FIg
and I quote myself no it is not necessary
oops....hey! thanks!
I think it is time for someone to get s subway sangwhich...
mmm chicken terayaki
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,880 Posts
B-Lexusfan said:
AFAIK the 15K service in Scottsdale, AZ ( some call it the Bevery Hills of Los Angeles ) is around $550!!! Talk about a dent in the wallet. I was looking to get an SRT intake soon but with this service lurking the SRT might have to wait a few months.... unless...... suggestions?? Anyone local to Phoenix have a better shop in mind?? Maybe Bell Lexus?? HELP!!!
HERE IS A SUGGESTION,
Change your oil and buy yoursef SRT HFI.
I put 56K miles before on my 2001 IS and never took it to the dealer for scheduled services. All it needs is the oil changes and a coolant change after 2-3 years.
The rest is just a way to sucker you out of your money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Just check the maintenance schedule in the owners manual to see what is needed at what intervals. Like someone else said on the dipstick it says "No need to replace transmission fluid under normal conditions".
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top