Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my car in for it's 15k oil change. i bought in my own oil. Synthetic oil by mobile one($30). usually when they fill in with 5 bottles of the stuff the oil level checker is always about a half inch over the mark), however this time it's was about a half inch under the mark. well my question is how do i know they used my oil or if maybe they forgot to get it out of the passenger seat while they were changing the oil, so instead of going back and adding the oil they decided to keep the oil instead. is there anyway to tell if the oil is synthetic or not? thanks oh yeah by the way my cousin works for honda in the service department and he says when bmw owners bring in there cars for service they never change the oil filter for them because they don't carry them, but they don't tell the bmw owners this. what do you guys think. are all mechanic crooks?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
did you get your filter replaced as well ?

I used a Lexus V8 Filter for my IS300

and I put in 6 quarts.

it's like 1/8 inch above the middle of the dip stick marks.

·
8,849 Posts
The correct oil volume is 5.8 qts
If your engine took 5 qts, that means either the filter was not changed or the oil was not completely drained.

Syntetic oil differs from mineral by its ability not to flow out at once. It takes quite a while to drain it. That is one of its advantages - it keeps lubricants in place while the engine is off.

The only way for you to tell is to drain it and see the pattern. Mineral oil will flow out right away and syntetic would keep dripping.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe last time they didn't use my oil cause this time i had to add about 1/4 a bottle to get it to the top on the oil mark. anyhow it's does look the same oil they use in my bro's car (he uses the plain stuff lexus gives him) but that's just looking at the stuff on the dip stick you really can't tell. but are you sure it's take 5.8 qts to fill up. if that's so i can rest assured they used my oil and my $30 didn't go to waste. thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Synthetic or Conventional Oil

You can tell some synthetics from conventional oil from the dipstick.

Personally I use AMSOIL. When I got the 5,000 mile oil change I had the dealer put in AMSOIL 0w30. When i got home i pulled the dipstick and put the oil on my fingers, conventional oil has a different thickness (5w30) than the 0w30 I am using, and also has a different texture when you rub your fingers together using it. Its not much but it is possible to tell the difference. Compare the two and you will probably be able to notice the difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.