Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What servicing do I need to do at the 140k interval?

replace belt(s)?
water pump?

anything else?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
timing belt and you can do water pump at the same time

I also did all fluids in the car, i left spark plugs for this spring which I intend on doing myself.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the belt in front of the engine? is that the alternator belt?

its starting to look a little worn

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Serpentine belt. This should have been changed way before you reached your mileage.

Digger08

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no idea when it was last changed, I got the car at like 78k and hasn't been changed at least while I have owned it.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Ya, you better do it. The serpentine belt spins up the alternator, power steering pump and water pump!!!

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I was talking to Lexus today and they said I don't need to do the Water Pump at 140k and that with our cars it is external so the saved labour costs does not apply.

I did some searching and found this thread about it:
http://my.is/forums/f122/timing-belt-water-pump-change-317229/index2.html

So looks like I will be getting

Timing belt & Serpentine belt
Coolant change
Spark Plugs change
Differential change

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Water pump is cheap if you buy it online, why not just get it done and not have to worry about it. Unless you plan on selling your car anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Technically the waterpump/timing belt thing is just over 150K. Whether or not to change the waterpump is a gamble you have to take. I decided against changing the water pump personally.

But it doesn't hurt to change the timing belt early... so do timing belt... and if there are problems/leaks in the waterpump... change that as well. If the drivebelt is cracking as you said... change that as well.

Spark plugs also could be changed if you haven't done it already.

Then if you haven't change the fluids in your car for a while... then you might as well get those taken care of too. Some fluids include...
  • engine oil
  • brake fluid
  • diff fluid
  • coolant

Other stuff you can change as required include transmission fluid... power steering fluid... etc.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Has anybody noticed that Lexus seems to be continuously decreasing the service intervals? First is was 8,000kms... then 6,000kms... now I'm seeing 5,000km or less. :pissed:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts