Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well that’s just great. i post a thread to get some much needed help, and some advise and all i get is a bunch of snobby ass remarks, grammar critics and a hand full of wimps hooking up IS's with momma’s credit card. it seems like with all this money your able to spend on your IS's you'd be able to afford some manners.

thank you.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
And the next thread from you will be something like:

"my car doesn't run right"

OR

"my engine exploded"

OR

"my engine exploded even though i did it exactly like my civic which ran fine"

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
realistically, you just can't boost the IS cheaply, save up the 7-10 grand and do it right the first time, doing it wrong will cost you even more in the long run.

(and your grammar really was bad, I couldn't even read that other thread)

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Since it's snowing and I'm planning to leave work a bit early, I'll try my best to be as polite as possible. $1400 for a turbo IS is not do able unless you know what you're doing and what you need. The Ebay kits you find have the hardware but it'll require fabrication. You'll also need to check the manifold for any slags, make sure the wastegate & BOV works. Now at that point you got some of the hardware. You're still missing fuel and most importantly engine management. Unless you really know what you're doing, you're going to be in for restless nights and loss of hair with all the scratching of your head you'll do.

Also it's very easy on other member's eyes if grammar is somewhat correct and we understand what you're asking for. That way we can gauge whether or not you'll be mechanically inclined to handle a big task like doing a turbo install.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I asked about this cheap ass turbo kit, I had a dream. A dream that maybe I could have found an inexpensive option to a little horsepower. I have noted this as an ignorant idea. I have also noticed that I need to take a different approach when asking questions in such a formal environment. Next time I’ll make sure to cross my I’s and dot my T’s and hopefully avoid ridicule. Thank you once again for embracing me as one of your fellow Lexus IS300 drivers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since it's snowing and I'm planning to leave work a bit early, I'll try my best to be as polite as possible. $1400 for a turbo IS is not do able unless you know what you're doing and what you need. The Ebay kits you find have the hardware but it'll require fabrication. You'll also need to check the manifold for any slags, make sure the wastegate & BOV works. Now at that point you got some of the hardware. You're still missing fuel and most importantly engine management. Unless you really know what you're doing, you're going to be in for restless nights and loss of hair with all the scratching of your head you'll do.

Also it's very easy on other member's eyes if grammar is somewhat correct and we understand what you're asking for. That way we can gauge whether or not you'll be mechanically inclined to handle a big task like doing a turbo install.
thanks. this makes a lotta sense.. i dont think i need the headache. better to stick with basic bolt ons.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Bolt-ons you say....

Like I have said before, the wizzles tips go woooWOOOOO.

Reactions: Benjamminz_IS

·
Registered
356 Posts
All i gotta say for all my years of building cars is do it right the first time. Get the real stuff not knockoffs. There's a reason why things cost the way they do.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Honestly, when I intitially start to pull my motor and do the boost game I was going to go into it cheap. But for some odd reason it turned out to be a major money pit. I abandoned the cheap stuff and went to the extreme with a build bottom end and the whole nine yard. Although my power goal is only at the 350-420 whp range, I thought about some of the things that could possible go wrong and try to fix the weakest link of the GE platform, i.e internals, trans, etc. I comtemplated about just boosting the shit out of the GE motor as is and fix it when it shit bricks. But then I looked deeper into the problem and came to the conclusion that it will cost me more if I did proceed to do it this way.

Instead, I built the bottom end, had the transmission modified, etc. The XS power manifold was purchased but I had to take extra precautionary steps to ensure that I won't run into issues later on.

Think about what will happen with your tune is off and it shatters a dime size metal from your piston. It could end up traveling a long way. The possiblity of that dime piece traveling down to the crank up to your throttle and to your turbo?

$1,400 now will cost you $10,000 later + time or spend the 8k now and save 2k. Your pick.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
please search, i can't count how many times this has been covered - before asking boosted questions please read the stickies.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
When I asked about this cheap ass turbo kit, I had a dream. A dream that maybe I could have found an inexpensive option to a little horsepower. I have noted this as an ignorant idea. I have also noticed that I need to take a different approach when asking questions in such a formal environment. Next time I’ll make sure to cross my I’s and dot my T’s and hopefully avoid ridicule. Thank you once again for embracing me as one of your fellow Lexus IS300 drivers.
Don't worry about it too much. Sometimes members get aggravated by ebonic postings that are very cryptic. You'd be surprised if you actually wrote something that was very understandable what type of replies you'd get back. It's more of common courtesy where you'd take the time to explain the situation and in turn someone would take the time to give you feedback.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.