Lexus IS Forum banner

14.32 @ 101 mph with NOS

1K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  Tom 
#1 ·
Just got back from the track(Atco raceway) and took advantage of this nice cool air. With an Injen intake, Nitrous Express wet kit, Apex AFC, and a Halmeter A/F ratio monitor, and a pair of Nitto 555R drag radials I ran a 14.32 @ 101mph. I'm using the smallest jets NX sent me. Probably about a 45 shot. Hopefully bigger jets will get me a 13. Still happy to finally break the 100mph barrier. Everyone out there with a Rod Millen Intake instead of trying to return it and getting the Swift kit, buy an Apex AFC and you'll be able to adjust you'r A/F ratio richer to account for the increased airflow (the same thing the swift kit does).

#6 ·
Originally posted by nitrousyellowis300lsd:
Just got back from the track(Atco raceway) and took advantage of this nice cool air. With an Injen intake, Nitrous Express wet kit, Apex AFC, and a Halmeter A/F ratio monitor, and a pair of Nitto 555R drag radials I ran a 14.32 @ 101mph. I'm using the smallest jets NX sent me. Probably about a 45 shot. Hopefully bigger jets will get me a 13. Still happy to finally break the 100mph barrier. Everyone out there with a Rod Millen Intake instead of trying to return it and getting the Swift kit, buy an Apex AFC and you'll be able to adjust you'r A/F ratio richer to account for the increased airflow (the same thing the swift kit does).

No Offense, but ain't 14.3 sec on any car with nitrous SLOW?
shi*, my STOCK type S does 1/4 in 15 flat. Hehehehe at 93 mph also. Hehehehehe

------------------
Acura 2001 3.2 CL-S
Miami, Fl.

#8 ·
That is what you think. Good luck.

Everyone out there with a Rod Millen Intake instead of trying to return it and getting the Swift kit, buy an Apex AFC and you'll be able to adjust you'r A/F ratio richer to account for the increased airflow (the same thing the swift kit does).

------------------
Muhammad I. Choudhury
Swift Racing Technologies
www.swift-racing.com
mc@swift-racing.com

#10 ·
Sorry Muhammed if I miss quoted you. I was only restating what you told me on the phone, "the computer mod corrects the A/F ratio". Anyway I stepped up to the biggest jets today (75 shot)and also running colder indexed plugs. Still dialing in the AFC, but my gtech is showing a 13.8 @107. Its the first time I actually spun the 555r drag radials. Its a little damp here so I begin my run under an overpass. hehehe I guess its time to lower the pressure a little more. Oh Jayru I thought you ran a 15 @ 93 flat into a guardrail. hehehe could'nt help myself.

#13 ·
Take my advice. Don't tamper with NOS on your new IS300's. If you do, be aware of the consequence that can follow with NOS. Your dealer will enjoy laughing it's ass off at you when your Lexus is needing a new bottom end because you were playing with NOS.

#15 ·
I must say that the Nitrous Express wet kit is almost fool proof. almost. It injects the additional fuel needed for the nitrous being used. The reason nitrous is so dangerous is if your car leans out while the nos is spraying it creates sonic detonation. And will melt your pistons. Since the IS has cast pistons this is even more of a concearn. As long as you use the proper precautions such as colder plugs a quality A/F monitor and keep your bottle pressure regulated with a bottle heater your safe. If worse comes to worse you go back to the dealer with the car stock and say you don't know what the hell happened. And they give you a new engine, thats why we all bought a Lexus.

#16 ·
I have a rmm intake so what the hell is the
Apex AFC??, where do I get it and how do I install it?

Thanxxxx

#17 ·
The Apex AFC is a piggyback fuel computer that modifies your mass airflow sensor signal to make the factory computer run the injector pulsewidth wider or narrower (richer or leaner). Basically it allows you to richen or lean your air/fuel ratio. It also monitors Tach, Throttle position, Airflow, and %of correction. It is a cool ass looking device with a bright blue display thats a little narrower than din size. It will display guages, numeric, and graphing. It comes with a 45 page book and a 32page book, it does a lot of ****.

#20 ·
The Apex AFC is a piggyback fuel computer that modifies your mass airflow sensor signal to make the factory computer run the injector pulsewidth wider or narrower (richer or leaner). Basically it allows you to richen or lean your air/fuel ratio. It also monitors Tach, Throttle position, Airflow, and %of correction. It is a cool ass looking device with a bright blue display thats a little narrower than din size. It will display guages, numeric, and graphing. It comes with a 45 page book and a 32page book, it does a lot of ****.

How much did it cost you and where did you get it from??
How hard was it to install and does it have IS300 specific instructions??

Thanks for all the info nitrous!!

#21 ·
Originally posted by nutinbut:
I have a rmm intake so what the hell is the
Apex AFC??, where do I get it and how do I install it?

Thanxxxx
Not to be a @ss or anything, but if you dont understand air:fuel ratios I would suggest to stay away from it until you get more experianced and know what your doing. You can blow your motor. You will need a wide band O2 sensor to tune it, a air/fuel or EGT gauge isnt accurate enough.

If you do get it, which I know people will anyways since the cost is only $300, have someone thats trained or has experiance in dealing with tuning cars play with it. It also involves splicing your ECU wires, I know some people are anal about cutting those, not sure if wiring harnesses are available for the IS yet. But the display and features alone on the Apex makes up for the cost of the unit, very nice.

------------------
KP
94 6 speed
BPU

#24 ·
no any more power will have to be found with headers, exhaust, and ignition. 75shot is all she'll handle. Unless someone starts making forged pistons. hehehe
Good job with the NOS, but don't think that a 75shot is all she'll take. I've seen NA 2jz-ge run a lot more than that, 150+hp. Obviously this should only be done on race gas and you'll need to upgrade your fuel pump if you want to spray this much. Your tranny will also require some attention due to the large amounts of torque.

Just remeber that you guys don't have some other sissy import engine like a honda. It's one of the strongest engines you can get from the factory.

------------------
Clint
92 SC300TT 6spd/NOS/otherstuff
765rwhp/670ft-lbs
TurboLexus.com
TurboImports.com
TexasRacingScene.com

#25 ·
Just got back from the track(Atco raceway) and took advantage of this nice cool air. With an Injen intake, Nitrous Express wet kit, Apex AFC, and a Halmeter A/F ratio monitor, and a pair of Nitto 555R drag radials I ran a 14.32 @ 101mph. .
Congratulations. Now all you have to do is switch to the bigger NOS jets and maybe you can keep up with my stock M3 on its stock radials. Then again, I doubt it, you'd have to shave more than .3 sec of your best time, just to keep up.

------------------
99 M3
01 CL Type-S

#26 ·
Originally posted by Tom:
Congratulations. Now all you have to do is switch to the bigger NOS jets and maybe you can keep up with my stock M3 on its stock radials. Then again, I doubt it, you'd have to shave more than .3 sec of your best time, just to keep up.
Congratulations on your M3 Tom. Now you only have to turbocharged and fully build your engine to keep up with my stock toyota engined SC300. Then again, I doubt it, you'd have to shave more than 3.0 sec off your best time, just to keep up.

------------------
Clint
92 SC300TT 6spd/NOS/otherstuff
765rwhp/670ft-lbs
TurboLexus.com
TurboImports.com
TexasRacingScene.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.