Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was reported today in the Ottawa Citizen. Gatineau is like a suburb of Ottawa. 203km/h = 126mph

Police charge Gatineau man after 203-km/h 'test drive'

Vito Pilieci
The Ottawa Citizen

Thursday, September 15, 2005

A 20-year-old Gatineau man has been charged after police say they clocked him at 203 kilometres an hour on Highway 416 in a borrowed car that he was taking for a test drive.

According to the Ontario Provincial Police, the man was heading south near the Fallowfield Road exit on Monday, Aug. 22 around 8:30 p.m. when he was spotted.

Police gave chase, their emergency lights flashing, in a bid to get the driver of the car to slow down and pull over.

The man exited the highway and pulled over at a car dealership, where he was caught.

The vehicle he was driving was seized by police and returned to the dealership it came from.

Charged with speeding is Jad Jarawan.

Mr. Jarawan said yesterday he wished the situation had never happened. "I could have been in an accident, I could have killed someone. I am really aware of the stupid act that I have done," he said. "I mean, I am going to test drive a car and I am doing 200?"

"I know that's stupid," Mr. Jarawan said. "It's ridiculous. I was thinking about it afterwards and I was saying, 'Why would I drive that fast?' "

Mr. Jarawan was test driving a Lexus IS 300 he had borrowed from Tony Graham Lexus Toyota. The car is valued at around $44,000. It has three-litre, six-cylinder engine that cranks out in excess of 220 horsepower.

"The car is very fast," said Mr. Jarawan. " You have to test drive a car to see if the car drives well. You don't have to go to 200 (km/h) to see if the car drives well."

In his defence, Mr. Jarawan said that the car rode so well that he was unaware of how fast he was actually going.

No stranger to speed, Mr. Jarawan said he has had speeding tickets in the past. But none in the province of Ontario.

He currently owns a Nissan sport sedan and a Suzuki GSXR sports motorcycle.

He said he felt proud when he went to renew his driver's licence a couple weeks ago and had no speeding infractions on his record. "I thought I had learned my lesson, but... ."

He said he was considering buying the car before the incident, but now he just plans to "pay off his ticket."

Mr. Jarawan will appear in an Ottawa traffic court on Oct. 28 to face the speeding charges. If convicted, he faces a maximum fine of more than $1,000.

Mr. Jarwan's speeding incident was documented as part of the OPP's regular report on speeders in Ottawa. The report listed some of the speeding charges handed out between June and August.

Other highlights: a driver fined $604.50 and given a 15-day licence suspension for travelling 162 km/h on the Queensway near Pinecrest Road; another man clocked at 162 km/h on Highway 416 near Fallowfield Road received a $604.50 fine and a 30-day suspension.

In July and August, police issued more than 30 tickets for speeders clocked at more than 50 km/h over the posted speed limit in and around Ottawa, the report said.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Interesting....when I first test drove the IS300, I had it up to about 160-170 thinking I was doing only about 100-110.

Oh well, at least he didn't roll the car during the test drive like someone did here in an IS300.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
OMG! I'm surprised that Tony Graham Lexus hasn't pressed charges!

That's retarded... I let all of my clients "open the car up" on a testdrive
but never in access of 20kms over the speedlimit. I had one guy
who testdrove a G35 coupe, he bounced the tach off the redline; I
told him to pull over and we went back to the dealership... that was
the end of that. (I'd rather loose a sale than endanger my life)

j

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
01lexusON19s said:
someone show me a $44k is300
in taiwan, brand new is300 cost 58,000 US dollars, IS200 cost 38,000.

m3 is over 100,000

because of gov tax.

we're lucky in the states are cheaper.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My sales guy rode with me and acted like he was going to sh*t his pants when I cranked the rpm's a little. 126 mph would have killed him.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Damn I never test drive the is before I bought it :( that's probably a good thing because I might have been in that guy's shoes.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Its just Looney. No, I mean their money, its called the Looney. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I test drove the IS 3 times before I bought it.
Was doing about 160-170KM/h at the most. The sales guy told me where the speed traps were during the drive :)

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I've taken my IS300 to 200 km/h before... and I also stated here previously that I took a BMW 330i (during a test drive!!!) to 200 km/h as well. It's unreal how calm these cars felt at that speed. My IS300 also hit 200 km/h without any effort. I wonder how fast these cars can go (stock) with the speed limiter removed. As far as I know... the IS300 is speed limited to 230 km/h.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts