Lexus IS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 557 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Oh, btw Dan, I really don't care about being number 1 contrary to your belief (I do care about being #1 to my wife & kids tho... :)). What I do care in terms of our cars is being a pioneer for the advancement and recognition of our cars (simply being one of the 1st to do things that hasn't been done before=setting the bar). After that, I'm happy if someone does better, and I truly wish and encourage others to do so. There will always be someone faster and crazier than me that's into our cars. It's a hobby (a passion), not a business for me so this #1 thing is a bit too serious for me. Now if we talk about business, than that's a whole different attitude and mentality from me.

Charles

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
isman said:
Oh, btw Dan, I really don't care about being number 1 contrary to your belief (I do care about being #1 to my wife & kids tho... :)). What I do care in terms of our cars is being a pioneer for the advancement and recognition of our cars (simply being one of the 1st to do things that hasn't been done before=setting the bar). After that, I'm happy if someone does better, and I truly wish and encourage others to do so. There will always be someone faster and crazier than me that's into our cars. It's a hobby (a passion), not a business for me so this #1 thing is a bit too serious for me. Now if we talk about business, than that's a whole different attitude and mentality from me.

Charles
So basically that's a round about way of saying you want to be number one.....You want to be the pioneer and set the bar....Therefore you'll be number one...No ?....I didn't say your goals were to always stay number one......It's not feasible or enjoyable(IMO) to always be number one in a setting of this nature, gotta let others do something so you can grow too......I feel I did what you're talking about a long time ago....First 6-Speed swap...First to over 650rwhp etc etc and from then to now many people have come into the game and done their thing(ie you, GTE finishing his car, randy etc etc)....It's an evolution

About the previous post...

If you wanted to road race and go fast why chose a 4-Door Lexus ?...Because that's what you wanted.....It's all about personal preference......With all do respect IMO you should have gone with a 993/996 if those were your goals(Lord knows you could have built one :) )....I hear ya on the straight line/notch comment but my question is have you ever driven a TH400 with a overdrive ?....I haven't had the pleasure of the OD unit but i've driven a TH400 equipped car...I definitely enjoyed myself, the OD would have been cool as sh*t.....I was able to take turns pretty hard and it ripped off the line....Different strokes for different folks I guess.....The same way you feel a 76 will be fun on a road course, I think a TH400 would be comperable(not in the turns obviously).....But considering the only time you can really use the turbo and let it all hang out is in the straights, the tranny you have doesn't really matter.....My opinion here....

In the end we're both passionate about our cars as are so many others on this/these boards......The cage comment I guess means that's what yours is in for ?...Mine definitely isn't....

Very Sweet comment about the wife and kids....The kids are really all that matters in the whole scope of things :)

Dan
02' MSM IS300
...Slow :)...

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Well, Dan, some of my prev. comment has been interpreted by you correctly and some not (996 is nice, but the Altezza/IS300 does pretty well in road course also as seen on tours in U.S.,Japan, and rest of world). In anycase, we are all here because of a common interest in CARS (duhhh.. :) had to make that sarcastic comment). There will always be difference in opinion, and that's why we have forums and different set up of the same cars. Once done with the IS, next project the '06 ZO6 w/forged internal looks great (it's just asking to be boosted) or a used 996/997. As for the cage, I have it just for the looks cause it's putty in the car. :)

Charles

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm going to buy a turbo 350 from a guy i work with and we will see if i can get it to fit easyly or not im planning on having to do some cutting but not sure how much will be needed...... I have an SP73H.O. turbo and stock gte internals so with a good tranny and some higher boost im hoping to make the top 10 list by the end of summer! if anyone has some measurements of the IS tranny tunnel it would be appreicated so i know what im up against beforw i pull out the stock auto.
AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL AIMING OR 10's OR BETTER!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
isman said:
Well, Dan, some of my prev. comment has been interpreted by you correctly and some not (996 is nice, but the Altezza/IS300 does pretty well in road course also as seen on tours in U.S.,Japan, and rest of world). In anycase, we are all here because of a common interest in CARS (duhhh.. :) had to make that sarcastic comment). There will always be difference in opinion, and that's why we have forums and different set up of the same cars. Once done with the IS, next project the '06 ZO6 w/forged internal looks great (it's just asking to be boosted) or a used 996/997. As for the cage, I have it just for the looks cause it's putty in the car. :)

Charles
Come on Charles, to even speak the Altezza (which when raced in Japan doesn't have our motor) and the IS300 in the same sentence as the 996 is blasphemy....You know it's two TOTALLY DIFFERENT worlds...You chose the IS for you...that's good enough, no need to try and make it sounds like the car is anywhere near a Porshce....Both cars have their own purposes and people like you and I have pushed the IS towards the "Porsche" "Supercar" arena but no matter what they're not Supercars......In some cases they're better(our cars that is :) )

The sarcasm wasn't really needed since it was obvious on my part but it's all good....

The new ZO6 is also on my short list of next projects....Dry Sumped from the factory :) :) :)......So is the 996 or 993....997 doesn't do it for me yet.....I may stay low key and just go wild on a G35....Something tells me all the R&D needed will be at my disposal :).....

About your cage, I'm guessing you meant to type Purty.....5/6 point or maybe more ?

btw when's the car gonna be on the road....with all the races i've been going to and working I haven't been able to hit the track...I'm thinking in about a week or so.....Maybe you can join me..

Dan
02' MSM IS300

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
dt1313 said:
Come on Charles, to even speak the Altezza (which when raced in Japan doesn't have our motor) and the IS300 in the same sentence as the 996 is blasphemy....You know it's two TOTALLY DIFFERENT worlds...You chose the IS for you...that's good enough, no need to try and make it sounds like the car is anywhere near a Porshce....Both cars have their own purposes and people like you and I have pushed the IS towards the "Porsche" "Supercar" arena but no matter what they're not Supercars......In some cases they're better(our cars that is :) )

The sarcasm wasn't really needed since it was obvious on my part but it's all good....

The new ZO6 is also on my short list of next projects....Dry Sumped from the factory :) :) :)......So is the 996 or 993....997 doesn't do it for me yet.....I may stay low key and just go wild on a G35....Something tells me all the R&D needed will be at my disposal :).....

About your cage, I'm guessing you meant to type Purty.....5/6 point or maybe more ?

btw when's the car gonna be on the road....with all the races i've been going to and working I haven't been able to hit the track...I'm thinking in about a week or so.....Maybe you can join me..

Dan
02' MSM IS300
blasphemy....? :suspiciou lol

Again, nothing on my statement compares the two cars (Porsche/IS300&Altezza). It does say that the Altezza & IS300 is used proffesionally on the road course (yes, I do know that the engine is different but we also know that Team Lexus is not Team Toyota/Altezza;). Good luck on the G35. If I don't go ZO6 or 996/997, it'll definitely be a MKIV all done up (lots of TRD stuff, and go fast parts). As for the track, let me know. I'll be picking up my car end of this month. If not, see you at IAS-Sema if you go.

Charles

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Well it's post diggin' time, anyone got any updates to this one since the tracks have been open a while?

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
IceCold4x4 said:
Well it's post diggin' time, anyone got any updates to this one since the tracks have been open a while?
on May 4th, I actually ran a 13.00 @ 115.6 MPH @ 15psi of boost, and on 19 inch HRE's about 30mins before I totalled my car at the track...so that sorta set me back on my hunt for the 12's, 11's, 10's....

but others are ALMOST done, and the weather here in the north-east and mid-atlantic has SUCKED the past cpl weeks...

so stay tuned...records will still fall this 2005 race season..its still way early...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
13.00 is not 12.99, just FYI TSOP, but then agian it's dang close. How ya get another one to beat it

??? no clue what that last sentance was supposted to mean. I guess i was trying to say "When are you going to get another one to beat that time?"

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
IceCold4x4 said:
13.00 is not 12.99, just FYI TSOP, but then agian it's dang close. How ya get another one to beat it
thanks Captain obvious....yes, it was close...and the trap speed indicates low 12's...

i guess we'll have to wait and see who's next into the 12's

·
Registered
557 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
thanks Captain obvious....yes, it was close...and the trap speed indicates low 12's...

i guess we'll have to wait and see who's next into the 12's
Not to be doggin but it seems I read "the trap speed indicates low 12's..." quite often. The trap speeds seem high compared to typical traps from N/A cars. All is300's trap high and Et high. I think its really because these are true street cars and the et will never be as good as a drag car in which we are used to comparing numbers to, therefore, I don't look at et. Most street races are won from trap speed anyway because its usually from a roll. After the 60 foot factor is removed, its all aobut trap speed. I beat by friends Pontiac that ran 12.30's street racing because he trapped 105, to my 108 in the camaro. Yeah, he did a 12.30 at only 105mph. (all that big block torque) It takes 120mph to get an is300 to do a 12.30. The 115mph shows mass horsepower, but in drag racing, its all about the first 60 feet.

·
Registered
557 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
on May 4th, I actually ran a 13.00 @ 115.6 MPH @ 15psi of boost, and on 19 inch HRE's about 30mins before I totalled my car at the track...so that sorta set me back on my hunt for the 12's, 11's, 10's....

but others are ALMOST done, and the weather here in the north-east and mid-atlantic has SUCKED the past cpl weeks...

so stay tuned...records will still fall this 2005 race season..its still way early...
I noticed everyone doggs superchargers in favor of turbos, but there are disadvantages of the non-linear power of turbos. Seems quite a few boosted is300's have a habit of heading for guardrails.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
DanielIS300 said:
I noticed everyone doggs superchargers in favor of turbos, but there are disadvantages of the non-linear power of turbos. Seems quite a few boosted is300's have a habit of heading for guardrails.
there's been 2 or 3 that i know of and i know of one s/c that hit a gaurdrail. what's your point. I can't think of one s/c that has 400whp, yet at the same time I couldn't guess how man IS's w/ turbos have over 400, and then there's the ones over 500, 600, 700whp. s/c's suck for high horsepower.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
isn't das over 400whp??? or at least very dang close it thought. But ya higher HP is ussually attainable with turbos, unless you have a seriously built roots blower but then again that's a whole different world, just imagine the size of the turbine a top fuel dragster would have to run what 200 mm probably?

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
IceCold4x4 said:
isn't das over 400whp??? or at least very dang close it thought. But ya higher HP is ussually attainable with turbos, unless you have a seriously built roots blower but then again that's a whole different world, just imagine the size of the turbine a top fuel dragster would have to run what 200 mm probably?
they banned topfuel from having t/c's way back. it was an unfair advantage.

·
Registered
557 Posts
In regards to the top fuelers, with a sixty foot time of 0.79 sec. and zero to 100mph in 0.84 seconds, I don't think a turbo can spool up that fast. The top fuel supercharger pumps 53psi near instantly, and if you were to remove the estimated 800-900hp parastic drag, the slower 330foot from the turbo couldn't make up the difference in time towards the end from increased trap speed of the higher hp from the turbo.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
congrats to gavron with his 12.8 run and making the list, gotta be somebody else out their who is keeping it on the DL... :)

121 - 140 of 557 Posts