Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
I think the list made alot of mistakes, but it certainly got alot of things right.

I think that the Vette being number 54 is very incorrect. I mean, sure, it doesn't have the racing pedigree that makes up most of the top 10 in the list, but it definetely deserves to be there. I mean, WTF mate? It's a fuggin' Vette.

And the Viper? Please. It's ahead of the Vette? An inefficient, impractical, chest of droors that was designed in a barn and made of old boat panels is ahead of the Vette? You have got to be kidding me.

And the McLaren F1 being the #1 car on the list is stupid. Nobody can have one, they cost a million plus - and they really aren't worth it. It tracks slower than a Ferrari 360 Challenge Stardale (we're talking Nurburgring here... hope I spelled that right), oversteers so heavily around corners that you have to be Michael Schumacher in order make the thing perform as is should. And according to every professional that has ever road tested the thing, the shifter feels like it was lifted out of a 74 CJ5. All that, and it costs a million dollars?

IMO, the best car of all time:

1954 Mercedes 300sl gullwing. The first true supercar... ever. And it's number 43 on the damn list. Blasphemy!

·
2,752 Posts
IS300included said:
IMO, the best car of all time:

1954 Mercedes 300sl gullwing. The first true supercar... ever. And it's number 43 on the damn list. Blasphemy!
In deed, a superbe car. Number 2 on my personal list right behind the Bugatti Royale.

I think the list could be argued from many points of you view, but it's still not too far from what most car anthusiasts would agree all around the globe.

I just wish they had a Road Runner, one of my favorite american muscle:)

Don.

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
But toyota as most Japanese brands emerged in the early 80's
Hey Don. I know you didn't mean to say this in this way. Cause there's no way that you are this wrong.

All I have to say is, 1964 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40.

And another thing I wish had a stronger presence on the list - the Toyota 4x4 pickups. The 1985 Toyota 4wd pickup with the 22-re engine is one of the most indestructible vehicles ever made - if you can get a hold of a Hi-Lux diesel though, there's NOTHING that can kill it ("Top Gear" buried one in the ocean, set it on fire, slammed it into an oak tree, dropped a camper trailer on it from 40 feet, dropped the truck itself from a crane 20 feet up, and put it on top of a 240 foot building, and then blew up the building. No luck - the Hi-Lux still ran.

That is a car.

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
therotman said:
I just noticed the Focus-They must not be looking that the US model :lol:
The Focus is on the list, rightfully. It's because of Europe though. The Focus, in Europe, has taken over the hatchback market. The thing outsells, the GTI, the Mini, the Clio, and Astra (the king of Euro-hatches). The car is perfect for Europe, and that is why it's on the list.

·
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Just realized the latest Caterham (No.25 on the list), the CSR 260, can hit 60 in 3.1 seconds. Further slight modding should bring it into the 2-second range, which is Formula 1 territory.

Imagine taking this quirky Brit to a track day. :bigSmile:

·
Banned
174 Posts
IS300included said:
The Focus is on the list, rightfully. It's because of Europe though. The Focus, in Europe, has taken over the hatchback market. The thing outsells, the GTI, the Mini, the Clio, and Astra (the king of Euro-hatches). The car is perfect for Europe, and that is why it's on the list.

wow, a ford taken over something and in a foregin market? how that happen

and whats so good about the focus

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
hkis said:
Just realized the latest Caterham (No.25 on the list), the CSR 260, can hit 60 in 3.1 seconds. Further slight modding should bring it into the 2-second range, which is Formula 1 territory.

Imagine taking this quirky Brit to a track day. :bigSmile:

The Caterham is a great little car, but the mods required to put down the power to get it much faster defeat the purpose of the car. A Caterham with 400hp and 13" wide drag tires may as well just be a hopped-up chevy vega.

-Justin

81 - 87 of 87 Posts