Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping a w58 transmission into my Is300. I need to know the dimensions for a one piece driveshaft. Aluminum and steel. Everything from wall thickness, slip yoke and rear flange. If anyone could help me out, I’d be great full for it.

any advice on a lower geared diff with the same fitment would also be really nice.

·
3,113 Posts
Go to a driveshaft shop and give them a measurement from tranny seal to diff flange. Or call the dive shaft shop online.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Swapping a w58 transmission into my Is300. I need to know the dimensions for a one piece driveshaft. Aluminum and steel. Everything from wall thickness, slip yoke and rear flange. If anyone could help me out, I’d be great full for it.

any advice on a lower geared diff with the same fitment would also be really nice.
**One thing to note, there is a chance the driveshaft will NOT fit in the sense that the flange will hit the bottom of the gas tank. If you go to install it, and it creates a cyclical banging sound, you need to drop the rear differential and add 3mm or 1/8" thick washers to the two large bolts that hold it in place! Super annoying and I thought it wasn't going to work for me, but I've been informed this only happens on some cars, not all

Go to a driveshaft shop and give them a measurement from tranny seal to diff flange. Or call the dive shaft shop online.
If the DSS is a little backed up, they can take a while with orders. They took about 5.5 weeks from order to doorstep. If you're concerned about time, you may want to go with a local shop that turns shafts.

For what it's worth, I have their aluminum 3.5" and it's really nice and hasn't given me any problems since installation

·
Registered
903 Posts
**One thing to note, there is a chance the driveshaft will NOT fit in the sense that the flange will hit the bottom of the gas tank. If you go to install it, and it creates a cyclical banging sound, you need to drop the rear differential and add 3mm or 1/8" thick washers to the two large bolts that hold it in place! Super annoying and I thought it wasn't going to work for me, but I've been informed this only happens on some cars, not all
Thats interesting, and makes some sense now reading it. One of the guys in Aussie on the Altezza forum years ago did a GTE swap and had all sorts of issues with his custom 1 piece driveshaft, he was dragging it down the 1/4 mile a lot as well with some big boost. His solution from memory was similar, adjusting at the diff and i think at the tranny mount so that the axis angle between the 2 was reduced. I seem to remember he had the shaft in and out of the shop a few times checking the balancing before they sorted it out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thats interesting, and makes some sense now reading it. One of the guys in Aussie on the Altezza forum years ago did a GTE swap and had all sorts of issues with his custom 1 piece driveshaft, he was dragging it down the 1/4 mile a lot as well with some big boost. His solution from memory was similar, adjusting at the diff and i think at the tranny mount so that the axis angle between the 2 was reduced. I seem to remember he had the shaft in and out of the shop a few times checking the balancing before they sorted it out.
Holy shit, I couldn't imagine dragging my car with the sorts of noise it was making lol. It was SO obnoxious like two pans banging together that you could hear from several hundred yards (meters) away

Funny enough though, since I had to drive about 125 miles (200km) with it, it only engaged past say, 2250 RPM, so it wasn't constant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts