Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had this engine cover made for me way way back.
I designed it myself and had it prototyped it with a sheet metal fabrication ship.

total cost with the sheet metal shop was about $700

I GUARANTEE there is no other engine cover like this...unless someone stole the design.

It is made in brushed stainless steel. Very sturdy. 1/8" thick I believe.
There are some slight scuffs on it from sitting around for so long...but since it's a brushed metal, it's pretty hard to tell.

Selling it for $175shipped. (price drop)

You will need to finger out the mounting. Should be as simple as getting some different length studs and cutting some angles in rods. Then secure with a nut just like stock.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
de, so this is considerably thinner than the stock one? i have a strut bar and don't want it to rub............also from the picture it looks as though it might scrape that painted cover........mines painted as well so i don't want it scraping the paint - can you take a better pic of its clearance? thanks

·
Premium Member
26,324 Posts
because it's constructed out of stainless steel wouldn't it tend to hold in heat and deflect the heat back down towards the motor and intake???

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1NewLexIS300 said:
de, so this is considerably thinner than the stock one? i have a strut bar and don't want it to rub............also from the picture it looks as though it might scrape that painted cover........mines painted as well so i don't want it scraping the paint - can you take a better pic of its clearance? thanks
The clearance depends on how you decide to mount it. You finger out the mounting screws and clearance on your own. I never had a STB so I dunno bout clearance.

01lexusON19s said:
because it's constructed out of stainless steel wouldn't it tend to hold in heat and deflect the heat back down towards the motor and intake???
I believe you have it backwards. Metal is a conductor of heat. Plastic is an insulator.

This would act like a heat sink rather than a blanket.

The engine cover would heat up a lot...this dissipates heat, not trapping it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Looks dope. I am curious if your temp went up though? Have you driven with it for a while to see what happends?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pope said:
Looks dope. I am curious if your temp went up though? Have you driven with it for a while to see what happends?
Temp would go down, not up.
I never had this on the car.
And I wouldn't know even if I did. My hood is vented and there's a turbo sitting there that produces more heat than the engine used to.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Would this fit with the larger turbo intake piping? Stock one doesn't, right?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
xencloud said:
Would this fit with the larger turbo intake piping? Stock one doesn't, right?
I think the stock one does. The pipe that goes the throttle body isn't larger...I think SRT uses a reducer.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well..make an offer. It's hard to really list a price on something like this.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok $150 shipped

keeping in mind this cost me over $700 to make.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
speed bump. make an offer

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cause I'm boosted and don't give a shit about the engine cover anymore.
It's been sittin around fer years.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Price drop to 175 shipped.

·
Rollin Boosted
2,801 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
Ok $150 shipped

keeping in mind this cost me over $700 to make.
^^How can the price drop to 175 from 150? -B

1 - 20 of 24 Posts