Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question. is is possible to swap a 1jz motor into a IS300? i have seen many guys with 7m supras swap out the 7m motors for the 1j and have gotten a much reliable result.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
dexlex said:
just a quick question. is is possible to swap a 1jz motor into a IS300? i have seen many guys with 7m supras swap out the 7m motors for the 1j and have gotten a much reliable result.
yes

There is/was another person that has it done here

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
yes its possible, i don't see the benefits but it is possible, since the blocks are similar
I think the main differences are that a 1JZ has a better air flow and revs higher than the 2JZ

I am thinking on swapping that in my MK3 and then putting the 7M in my MK2.. :)

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Sounds pretty interesting, the 1jz is a very efficient engine just not as popular as the 2jz. The similarities are very shocking between the two.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
yeah he's right, mod wise, both engines perform nearly identical even though the 1J is a 2.5 and 2J is a 3.0, meaning, the hp gains from BPU parts are very close, interesting to see why Toyota decided not to import the 1JZ to the US and instead created the 2JZ when they are soo closely related...

I guess its the same thing as a 5M-GE and a 6M-GE...

·
Registered
76 Posts
wingzero said:
i hear that as far as performance parts go, you can use 2JZ parts...correct me if I am wrong..
You're wrong. Pistons and crank are different; possibly the rods, but not likely.

With a smaller stroke, the 1jz block is actually a 2jz block cut down about 0.5 inches off the deck. Pistons are oil cooled, but they're different than the 2jz pistons. In fact, the asymetrical cutout in the 2jz piston skirt is to account for the longer stroke and clearance for the oil squirter. Interestingly, the 1jz pistons does not have the cutout due to the smaller stroke. Valve cutouts and piston dish are different, too.

The exhaust ports also have a different bolt pattern than either of the 2jz motors. Therefore, using any 2jz exhaust manifold is out of the question. Even if the exhaust were the same, you could not use a 2jz downpipe, assuming it's bolted into the tranny bracket, because the block is shorter. The dp would actually extend 0.5 inches below the bracket.

There are probably other performance part differences between the 1jz and 2jz motors, but I don't sweat the small stuff.

-scott
----------
'95 sc300 6-speed, AEM, 1000cc inj, TT LSD, RLTC, DIS4, FMIC
sp63 turbo, sp mani/dp/wg pipes, blah, blah, blah

·
Registered
596 Posts
2J and 1J parts are plentiful in OZ, there are more 1JZ parts than 2JZ here!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
motorheaddown said:
You're wrong. Pistons and crank are different; possibly the rods, but not likely.

With a smaller stroke, the 1jz block is actually a 2jz block cut down about 0.5 inches off the deck. Pistons are oil cooled, but they're different than the 2jz pistons. In fact, the asymetrical cutout in the 2jz piston skirt is to account for the longer stroke and clearance for the oil squirter. Interestingly, the 1jz pistons does not have the cutout due to the smaller stroke. Valve cutouts and piston dish are different, too.

The exhaust ports also have a different bolt pattern than either of the 2jz motors. Therefore, using any 2jz exhaust manifold is out of the question. Even if the exhaust were the same, you could not use a 2jz downpipe, assuming it's bolted into the tranny bracket, because the block is shorter. The dp would actually extend 0.5 inches below the bracket.

There are probably other performance part differences between the 1jz and 2jz motors, but I don't sweat the small stuff.

-scott
----------
'95 sc300 6-speed, AEM, 1000cc inj, TT LSD, RLTC, DIS4, FMIC
sp63 turbo, sp mani/dp/wg pipes, blah, blah, blah
There ya go...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts