Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nah, for 30K you get seats, a steering wheel, 4 tires and rims, and nifty chrome ball for a shift knob for 30K.

Seriously though, if a requirement is for a car's speed to go up at least linearly with it's price, stick to a sports car. Or install NOS on a cheaper car. For around 30K you could build up a variety of cars, buy an S2000, or better yet get a Z28 or Firebird/Trans Am for $21,500 with a 5.7L V-8. All the amenities are there... Leather, cd changer, remote entry, moonroof/t-top, etc. I guess it all depends on what the person wants though. Some people are coo with leather. Other people want Connoly leather. Yet others are coo with Leatherette. Parts are parts, and amenities are amenities, but how they're put together and how they work together is a different story. In the IS300 guess it's a matter of execution, and that's what the 30K is for. No matter what people have to say about the IS, it is a nice car. (Like all cars in this segement).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, yeah, but it also has handling that is comparable to the best compact sports sedans available in the US. (read BMW 3 series, Contour SVT, etc)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well said, DJ. It's not always about 1/4m, 0-60, etc. I hear those Camaro SS's scream...doesn't mean I want one (looks like a Geo Storm on steroids to me). The Maximas are nice cars, though...my mom's got one.

------------------
-jb-
'01 Black Onyx

·
Registered
95 Posts
And your car is worth what?????? 1992 god thats old. If you wanna compare an 8 year old car to the Is300 feel free idiot. The motors are basically the same 3.0l 6 190 hp your car is also 200 lbs lighter.With the 8 years rust probably ate away anothe 200lbs of metal. Aftermarket is totally on your side plus the SE had a optional stick. So if you wanna feel happy you own a $9,000 car thats cool. more power to you. To justify your idiot remark atleast we didnt by a mazda millinium 0-60 9 seconds. To justify it further thank god we all have good paying jobs so that we dont have to drive 92 maxima se every day. Ok ok im almost on a roll, to justify it even more then the last remark, thank god my portfolio looks better then your car or I would really feel sorry.30k man idiots i sware idiots............comparing a 8 year old car with a huge aftermarket is insane..Maxima in New York is like the most common car. New ones are ugly in my opinion, nice try on the lighst though. The older style is just that OLD. If you into box like deminsion in a car with nooooo astetic personality then I guess in your meger little exsitance your sooooooo much better then us, Oh my bad next post youll tell me you own a Ferrari 355 Can someone please do something about NON-is300 owners in this forum I mean at A4.org they people in there actually own the car. I still see bashing but its usually do to poor performance decisions. Oh im sorrry the freedom of speech thingy. Communism had its higher points. Idiots werent givin computers....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didn't realize this forum was only for IS300 owners. Please accept apologies on behalf of myself and all the rest of the BMW, Acura, and Audi (but not Nissan) owners.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cake only if you do it on your knees. Actually would you think with a TITLE IS300.net it was for people interested or have the car. I mean isnt there a Import.org or Some other chat forum for all you great guys. I think it may actually be that the poeple that are in those forums are so much better that its hard to post how much better you are when a guy in there has a 9 sec supra and your drivin moms acura.Its open for debate, but to each his own its your life its your time and its stupid from an outsiders perspective. I own an IS300 and would like to see people talking performance modification or something IS300 related. The general discussion should be renamed You suck No you suck..... Guys please do alittle growing up. The situation with imports earning credabilty to domestic fans isnt much help when you get into which import is better then which. I am just saying this because if you own a 9 second acura feel free to say how much faster you are. That something I give respect too. If your debating stock car issues how many imports remain stock???? If you feel happy saying ohhhh my stock car is a whole .6 sec faster then you stock car feel free. Its idiotic if you ask me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's just car chat...all in good fun. We just want to let you guys know that there are still other cars than the IS300 out there...

P.S.: Here's a smattering of punctuation, feel free to borrow liberally: , . : ; ( ) ... - ' " (j/k
)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by NYIS300:
And your car is worth what?????? 1992 god thats old. If you wanna compare an 8 year old car to the Is300 feel free idiot. The motors are basically the same 3.0l 6 190 hp your car is also 200 lbs lighter.With the 8 years rust probably ate away anothe 200lbs of metal. Aftermarket is totally on your side plus the SE had a optional stick. So if you wanna feel happy you own a $9,000 car thats cool. more power to you. To justify your idiot remark atleast we didnt by a mazda millinium 0-60 9 seconds. To justify it further thank god we all have good paying jobs so that we dont have to drive 92 maxima se every day. Ok ok im almost on a roll, to justify it even more then the last remark, thank god my portfolio looks better then your car or I would really feel sorry.30k man idiots i sware idiots............comparing a 8 year old car with a huge aftermarket is insane..Maxima in New York is like the most common car. New ones are ugly in my opinion, nice try on the lighst though. The older style is just that OLD. If you into box like deminsion in a car with nooooo astetic personality then I guess in your meger little exsitance your sooooooo much better then us, Oh my bad next post youll tell me you own a Ferrari 355 Can someone please do something about NON-is300 owners in this forum I mean at A4.org they people in there actually own the car. I still see bashing but its usually do to poor performance decisions. Oh im sorrry the freedom of speech thingy. Communism had its higher points. Idiots werent givin computers....
Im 16, i drive a maxima, i paid 2500 for the car, it will keep up with you, if not out perform your cars.. and its just as nice.. all your car is a rear wheel drive riced out factory bought Civic, with a motor and some fancy knobs.... nothing great about the car.. How does it feel to know that you paid 30k for a toyota?

------------------
I drive a Maxima.

·
Registered
138 Posts
2500? u mean 25000? if not, u mean u baught an old max? ...i dont own an IS, but i know wats gonna happen on this board,everyone gonna start calling u a dumbass for ur dumbass comment? 30k toyota? i dont think so..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by NYIS300:
Cake only if you do it on your knees. Actually would you think with a TITLE IS300.net it was for people interested or have the car. I mean isnt there a Import.org or Some other chat forum for all you great guys. I think it may actually be that the poeple that are in those forums are so much better that its hard to post how much better you are when a guy in there has a 9 sec supra and your drivin moms acura.Its open for debate, but to each his own its your life its your time and its stupid from an outsiders perspective. I own an IS300 and would like to see people talking performance modification or something IS300 related. The general discussion should be renamed You suck No you suck..... Guys please do alittle growing up. The situation with imports earning credabilty to domestic fans isnt much help when you get into which import is better then which. I am just saying this because if you own a 9 second acura feel free to say how much faster you are. That something I give respect too. If your debating stock car issues how many imports remain stock???? If you feel happy saying ohhhh my stock car is a whole .6 sec faster then you stock car feel free. Its idiotic if you ask me.
spoken like a true arrogant asshole..

------------------
I drive a Maxima.

·
Registered
226 Posts
haha... maybe you should offer to lend it (punctuation) to more people.

I think alot of the problem stems from the fact that at one time, most or all IS300 owners were faced with the dilema of choosing between cars (325/330/A4/C-class/etc.) And since none of the cars listed above offers some sort of OBVIOUS and EXTREME advantage over the others, it was a fairly difficult and arbitrary choice (ie, what was best for him/her). So... when someone comes in and bags on the IS300, I think it's perfectly natural that they come to think of it as an attack on their decision making. I don't know that most other people who come in here to let us know of other cars being available realize that alot of these people here have seen/driven/seriously considered other cars. And just don't want to be reminded of a difficult decision all the time, get on with their lives and enjoy their purchase. However, I do find that healthy discussion is really good for a forum. Problem is, (and this is a big problem) people's intentions might be harmless and for fun, but the way they pose questions and represent themselves leaves nothing to be desired.

Another thing is that since the IS300 just came out, it's going to be that owner satisfaction and excitement will be a lot higher than normal, since the longest ownership term will have been since June-July of this year. Not much time to get sick of the car.

Originally posted by cakennedy:
It's just car chat...all in good fun. We just want to let you guys know that there are still other cars than the IS300 out there...

P.S.: Here's a smattering of punctuation, feel free to borrow liberally: , . : ; ( ) ... - ' " (j/k
)

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's nice... I'm 23, I drive an IS300, a '99 Civic and I own a new house. (What's with people braggin about age these days? Is it that fun to be right smack in the middle of puberty?)

Anyways, 92 Maxima SE, if you're happy with your car, that cool. That's all one can expect when a car purchase is made. I'm happy with mine.

But if you wanna talk speed, I have a Prelude that will tear a new a**hole in your Maxima. It was bought for $2,000 at salvage value (nothing wrong with it except for missing seats, turn signal stalk, etc.)

As for the Maxima being just as nice? Ummm... it's a 92, the Max might be nice... but it's definitely not in the same league. Again, that's where some of the 30K went into.

By the way, you ever taken your car to the strip? You even know what a tree looks like?

Anyways, it's nice you have like your car. Just drive safely... I saw the "Third Watch" episode last night... crazy stuff.

Originally posted by 92 Maxima SE:
Im 16, i drive a maxima, i paid 2500 for the car, it will keep up with you, if not out perform your cars.. and its just as nice.. all your car is a rear wheel drive riced out factory bought Civic, with a motor and some fancy knobs.... nothing great about the car.. How does it feel to know that you paid 30k for a toyota?

[This message has been edited by DJ (edited November 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
91 Posts
92 Maxima SE,

"I'm 16." - We can tell.
"I paid $2,500 for the car." - Retail is $7,000. So, your parents were nice enough to sell you theirs. They sound like good people. Stay in school (and pay attention in English...your grammar & spelling are atrocious).
"It will keep up with you..." - Stay off the crack pipe.
"...if not outperform your cars." - ??? You really ARE high. I bet those 15" rims and soft suspension do amazingly well through the turns.
"All your car is (is) a rear-wheel drive..." - Yes, it is. At least we know you're not COMPLETELY inept.
"...riced out..." - Is Nissan American? German? Italian? I always forget...
"...factory bought civic..." - Wrong site, pipsqueek. See also http://www.honda-acura.net
"How does it feel to know you paid $30K for a Toyota?" - Better than it must feel to get hollered at for being out past curfew, but not as good as sex...what's that? You don't know what that's like? Now we know why you've got such teen-angst-bull-sh*t.

Ah, youth...can't wait to have a few smart asses of my own one day...

------------------
-jb-
'01 Black Onyx

[This message has been edited by -jb- (edited November 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by DJ:
That's nice... I'm 23, I drive an IS300, a '99 Civic and I own a new house. (What's with people braggin about age these days? Is it that fun to be right smack in the middle of puberty?)

Anyways, 92 Maxima SE, if you're happy with your car, that cool. That's all one can expect when a car purchase is made. I'm happy with mine.

But if you wanna talk speed, I have a Prelude that will tear a new A**hole, and come out your hood ornament in your Maxima. It was bought for $2,000 at Salvage value (nothing wrong with it except for missing seats, turn signal stalk, etc.) It's NICER.

As for the Maxima being just as nice? Ummm... it's a 92. I don't think so. The Max might be nice... but it's definitely not in the same league. Again, that's where the 30K went into.

By the way, you ever taken your car to the strip? You even know what a tree looks like?

preludes are slow. Yes you dumb **** i know what a tree looks like, and no i havent taken my car to the strip (why run a mid 15 second car @ the strip? Waste of money)
oh yeah, about the max being just as nice lets see... i got leather, power locks, power windows, sun roof, heated mirror's (ill be damned if i know what good they are) its nice and comfy in side, bose, 5 SPEED, want me to keep goin on? would i pay 30k for a toyota? even if i had the money? doubt it...

------------------
I drive a Maxima.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
15 Participants
GroceryGetter
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing