Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sad but true. My girlfriend rented a 2008 Colbalt 4 door base model (manual windows, locks, mirrors) for us to drive from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando for the weekend. I thought while I drove it that it drove better than my IS300 but was not certain until I just drove my IS300 to work this morning.

On the highway the Colbalt had a smoother ride, Much more confident on the highway. Where the IS300 would get all jittery on the highway the cheap Colbalt would drive very confident on highway speeds. Going 80mph felt so good, 90mph no problem at all and even got to 100 feeling very confident. Even though the IS300 steering wheel is tight and the brakes are strong I believe the Cobalts steering wheel is just as tight if not slightly tighter. The brakes also were just as good if not a little stronger.

When all the reviews came out that the IS300 is so tossable around corners, maybe that kind of suspension takes away from highway straight line speed stability.

Don't throw out to me that maybe something is wrong with my car. Nothing at all is wrong with it, that is just how our cars drive.

Now, would I trade my car for a Cobalt? Nope. The Cobalt is ugly for one and also how much cheap materials is in our interior that is how much more cheaply done the hard plastic materials are in the Cobalt. Everything inside is cheaply done. (besides, the fact that the Colbalt has an information screen which states the miles left in your tank, tire air pressure meter, states electronically which door is open or if the trunk is open and things of that sort) and lastly, its a Chevy which means it will break down soon.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have driven a cobalt and I would have to DISAGREE with you!!! It's the biggest piece of sh!t I have even been in. but everyone can have there opinion right? ha ha ha

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
yeah, I think you have to get your lexus checked....

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Sorry... but something must be wrong with your car. My car feels PLANTED at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Do you have any suspensions mods?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
i've had a cobalt, i felt like that thing was gunna tip over everytimei turned, and the steering on that car is not loose, its cuz its a FWD, i did NOT like the Cobalt when i had it as a Rental,
Cobalt FTL

·
Registered
66 Posts
wow, cobalt vs. is300? Hell my 01 dropped on d2's with 19's feels smoother on the freeways than my 07 g35 four door!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Edmunds states the handling of the Cobalt is inferior to it's Japanese counterparts. So does that mean the Civic rides better than the IS300 on the highway as well?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know how you can even compare the handling on a FWD car like the Cobalt to the IS. Even with a stock suspension (on 19s), I feel my IS can handle pretty much anything I throw at her and driving at 80 or 90 is perfectly comfortable. I used to have an Eclipse and I was terrified to drive it because the thing was all over the place, so my fiancé drove most of the time (which sucked because I love to drive). I had a Colbalt as a rental as well and the thing handled terribly.

BOOOO FWD!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am completely stock. My 2004 feels just like my 2001 IS300 so unless both had something wrong with it....

Also, I am not at all talking about taking a turn. I am only referring to going straight ahead on the highway.

·
Registered
594 Posts
one of my good friends owns a cobalt and i have driven it before. I wasnt impressed, I know my IS rides better stock.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
i also have rented a cobalt before. i think something is wrong up there :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I am completely stock. My 2004 feels just like my 2001 IS300 so unless both had something wrong with it....

Also, I am not at all talking about taking a turn. I am only referring to going straight ahead on the highway.
It sounds like you need new shocks if your car is going up and down while you are on the highway.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its not going up and down. It is just jittery. It likes to roam around in the lane I am in. It is not "planted" and secure on the highway just like my 2001 wasnt either.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You should sell your IS and get a Cobalt. ;)

·
1,621 Posts
Its not going up and down. It is just jittery. It likes to roam around in the lane I am in. It is not "planted" and secure on the highway just like my 2001 wasnt either.
Think it's possible that the roads around you are kinda crappy? And the roads that you drove the cobalt on were fairly smooth?

Just a thought...

Reactions: JPLexIS

·
Registered
355 Posts
I rent cars almost weekly for work and I'm yet to have a rental that rides better than a stock IS... and I do mainly highway driving

1 - 20 of 49 Posts