Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People,
I have a problem with my 2006 IS250 and i've tried everything. Don't know what it is, can you please look at the video i made for it and suggest? wheel bearing? front axle? differential oil? back axle? i'm loosing my mind. The sound seems to be from the front driver side. Replaced the front wheel bearings (driver and passenger side) about 2 times. Please see my video here
My mechanics are currently suggesting it may be a bad "auxiliary", "differential", "short differential oil", front axle or back axle. The issue is, there's no way to be sure as most mechanics here in Nigeria do guess work mostly.
Please help
Please see my video here

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
857 Posts
How long ago where the front wheel bearings replaced? Have the back wheels been check for play?
Being that it is AWD it would be best to at least drain the front diff fluid and inspect it for any metal shavings/particles.

That sound does indeed sound like a bad wheel bearing however it sounds like a bearing in general (front or rear diff, transmission bearing, wheel bearing)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thank you so much for responding
The front wheel bearings were replaced 2 weeks ago. We replaced the driver side first and when the noise continued, we replaced the passenger side, both in front. I am yet to check the back wheel bearings however, because the sound is significantly audible in the driver side. in fact, its almost as if its something under that side.

My mechanic checked the differential oils and said they were fine. He said if it were the transmission bearing, i'd prolly have issues with gear selection. I'm not sure they know what a differential is lol, but i think its what they call the "auxiliary" back here in Nigeria.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
857 Posts
If you had say an input shaft bearing that was bad on the transmission, the gear selection would be just fine as the bearing itself has no “bearing” (no pun intended) on the shift quality.

I am just tossing ideas out though as it does sound like a bearing to me. Also the bearings inside the front differential could have worn out as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you had say an input shaft bearing that was bad on the transmission, the gear selection would be just fine as the bearing itself has no “bearing” (no pun intended) on the shift quality.

I am just tossing ideas out though as it does sound like a bearing to me. Also the bearings inside the front differential could have worn out as well.
Hi!
Thank you so much for your help.
my mechanics don’t seem to be sure what exactly is the differential. Please confirm this is it! I made a video, I think it’s something they’re referring to as the auxiliary!
Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Also, they’re saying it could be a bad front axle! Any chance this could be an axle from the noise? Or is this definitely more of a bearing thing? Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts