Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
BTW, the TSB2448 replacing the 2 intake cam gears also included a software change as well. But I have no idea what's changed tho.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had my valve spring recall done as well at Sewell Lexus Fort Worth and i still have the rattelling noise. maybe the cam gears...:suspiciou

Hi everyone again... I'm reporting back my warm engine start up rattle noise here!

I broguht my car to the dealership and have them performed the valve springs campaign recall (coded as Campaign 119) and everything went well. The car drives like the same as before, no power lost, no weird noise from the engine, nothing unusal. And I got a free gas fill up as well.

In regards to the warm engine start up rattle noise, they diagnose the problem and were able to replicate the noise. They performed the TSB2448 which is replaced the two intake camshaft gears. They did it in conjunction with the valve spring recall campaign. So far for this evening, I haven't heard that warm engine start up rattle noise... I really hope this TSB2448 fixed this problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah... probably your intake cam gears need to be replaced with their updated version along with some software changes associated with the replacement.

So far since early Oct after the cam gears replacement, no start up noise/rattles. Fingers cross! :)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Yeah,...they replaced all four cam gears during the valve spring recall and the engine is nice and quiet now during start,...I got the latest flash during the pedal recall and that changed my snow mode.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I let go of the brake real quick after I pressed the start button and there was no rattling at start up...... I am still taking it in though to get looked at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone heard the rattle noise come back after the TSIB was done? I got mine done in early Dec with the valve springs recall. Then maybe like 5 weeks ago, i thought i heard it again :suspiciou (maybe in my head), but it was very minor rattle which kinda tells me that it may come back.... but since then I haven't heard anything. Also, I was wondering, those of you who had it done, could you compare and tell me if any of the parts they replaced for me was missing? I remember taking a look at the TSIB and trying to match the parts up and seemed like they didn't replace with all the parts listed which concerns me of why the minor rattle I heard was there..... Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Has anyone heard the rattle noise come back after the TSIB was done? I got mine done in early Dec with the valve springs recall. Then maybe like 5 weeks ago, i thought i heard it again :suspiciou (maybe in my head), but it was very minor rattle which kinda tells me that it may come back.... but since then I haven't heard anything. Also, I was wondering, those of you who had it done, could you compare and tell me if any of the parts they replaced for me was missing? I remember taking a look at the TSIB and trying to match the parts up and seemed like they didn't replace with all the parts listed which concerns me of why the minor rattle I heard was there..... Thanks!
I think my work order/invoice is pretty much the same or just a little more detailed on the intake cam gears replacement. Mine was replaced in conjunction with the valve springs recall as well. But on my work order/invoice, they listed out a software change along with the intake cam gears replacement which I didn't see on yours. And I'm pretty sure this software change isn't the brake override recall as I've done it previously at the same dealership.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
If I remember correctly the original cam gear replacement did have an ecu flash associated with it,...I already had the ecu flash with brake over ride done when they replaced all my cam gears and it hasn't rattled since,....but the warmer weather is coming so we'll have to wait and see.

I would say if it only happened once don't sweat it,...but come the warmer weather keep an ear out for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
noise/rattle at start up

I used to have this problem - I complained to the Dealer and they did some sort of adjustments to the timing chain? This seems to have settled the issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I had my came gear noise fixed in March 2011 and a little more than a year now in June 2012, I have the exact same noise and I can replicate it every single morning when I do a cold start. Now my warranty is out.. arhh.. very disappointed.

Has anyone here has the same problem came back after they went through the fixed?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Yep,...it can come back! Give Lexus HDQ a call or send a letter and be nice,...see if that gets you anywhere. I see you have an '06 like me so emphasize the fact that the cam gears were replaced twice previously for the same issue and it hasn't been resolved and you've had every TSIB and recall done to this piece of s%^t and it's still rattling like carpenter tools in a crocus bag :)

Let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I actually liked the way it made rattle noise from the engine with the 2008 IS350 I had... I thought it was IS350 sound signature lol..

Can't you just leave it alone by not attempting to fix it? What happens if you leave it like that permanently? Anyone has ideas?

btw, my 2011 IS350 has none of these rattle noise from the engine. It's dead quiet.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Lexus says that it has no long term effect, but I say BS to that. Sure by the time the whipping chain wears through the chain tensioners the engine will be due for overhaul anyway,...but man, how embarrassing to have the engine rattle when you're at a car meet :(

There is nothing refined about that rattle.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Here's the startup noise mine made the morning I brought in in to Lexus right before the TSB expired:

IMG 04311 - YouTube

I've had the car less than a year but I'm 90% sure that this was the second time the TSB has been done on it! The previous owner seemed to be pretty anal about having all the recalls and what-not done to it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
^ I just watched the video you posted on youtube about the rattle. Wow, that's different than what I was thinking about the rattle... I didn't have that issue. I guess I was lucky... yeah that rattle / noise is definitely bad. I wouldn't stand that either. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi clubfoot and everyone... I tried clubfoot suggestion here for a few days and the warm rattle startup noise still there.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, the warm rattle noise only happens if I shut off the car and restart it after ~20+ min. Sometimes like an hour or two restart the noise still there. If I restart the car like 5-10 mins after shutting off the warm engine, no noise at all just like starting the car in the morning.
Originally Posted by clubfoot
OK,..if you have the warm rattle. Try this and let me know if it works to keep things quiet, reduces it or doesn't make a difference!
When you are are starting your car DON'T keep your foot on the brake! In quick order apply the brake, TAP the start button (DON'T HOLD IT IN) and as soon as the engine starts to crank release the brake.

Let me know if this works to reduce the rattle or eliminate it?

When I take my car in for the valve springs I'll make sure the service adviser hears it!
Maybe I can get them to flash it back WITHOUT the brake over ride.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

hey buddy, you had that problem on your 2008 model? I have exactly the same problem on my 2008 Is250 model! occasional warm start rattle! how far did you go with that problem? did you manage to fix it?

i tried to film it and prove it to my dealer but no success yet! it's very intermittent and don't know how to replicate that! just happened 4-5 times in the last 3 months(i bought the car 3 months ago!) and in warm start after the car is shout for ~20+ minutes!!! the vehicle will run out of statuary warranty within 8 days and this making me mad! how can i replicate the noise and prove it to Lexus??? any suggestion? they told me no fix if you dont prove it! ((((

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 IS350 and experiencing the same noise too. Never happened during cold start, but rather in between warmed up start. Mine seems to happen more often during hot days (such as recent hot and humid Toronto weather).

The sad part is when I took it to the dealership trying to replicate the noise, it never happened. And they wouldn't do a thing, and made me feel I'm stupid or something. Seriously I do not expect this kind of problem from a Lexus... had enough from BMW.

I believe I read something about this cam gear issue doesn't affect the engine reliability, rather just a noise... someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

My plan is to wait for the valve springs recall and hopefully they'll do something on this cam gear issue at the same time.
dude, do you know how they managed to replicate the noise?(i read you finally got the problem fixed with TSB2448 and lexus dealer managed to replicate the noise), mine is 08 IS250 and did this rattle couple of times during the warm start! mine will run out of warranty in 7 days and i'm still fighting with lexus to get the problem fixed! they told me they need to hear the noise first! what should i do? how can i replicate the noise? i tried to film it but no success yet! :(

41 - 58 of 58 Posts