Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at the O.C. autoshow at the Anaheim Convention Center today and checked out the new IS. They had 3 on display with 2 which you could sit in and play with. One thing that I found to be of concern, was that both the IS250 and the IS350 they had on display had horrible fit and finish seam lines between the top of the dash where the textured material meets the metallic center vents. I pushed on the portion to see if it would tuck back in underneath and it only made the matter worse. It seemed like the dash material was too soft and was warping around the vent surround.

I am hoping that this is just some preproduction, vehicles they had around and this issue was addressed, however this might not be a good thing for early production models. I am confident that if this is a design issue that they will have a TSB for this in a few months, but can you imagine if the fix is to replace the entire top portion of your dash? Scary Thought. For others, when you get a chance, see what the dashboard looks like on IS's on display at your local dealers.

One thing I also noticed was that the leather was extremely soft and nice, however, because it is so nice and soft may be prone to wear not as well as say a more rugged leather. Also, the grab handles on the ceiling are of a two pivot design. It reminded me of the two pivot door hinge on the the earlier model SC's. Very cool design. Also, like everyone has said the single cup holder is miserably small, so no more super big gulps. The only options will be small water bottles, cans of soda or a small coffee. Strangely the shape and size of the cup holder is that of a small Pocari Sweat bottle. Ha Ha.

Regardless, still want to buy one in the next several months, once some of the hype has died down.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
as a few have said, those are prototypes, hand built. wait for them to hit showrooms in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
N1! said:
So I was at the O.C. autoshow at the Anaheim Convention Center today and checked out the new IS. They had 3 on display with 2 which you could sit in and play with. One thing that I found to be of concern, was that both the IS250 and the IS350 they had on display had horrible fit and finish seam lines between the top of the dash where the textured material meets the metallic center vents. I pushed on the portion to see if it would tuck back in underneath and it only made the matter worse. It seemed like the dash material was too soft and was warping around the vent surround.

I am hoping that this is just some preproduction, vehicles they had around and this issue was addressed, however this might not be a good thing for early production models. I am confident that if this is a design issue that they will have a TSB for this in a few months, but can you imagine if the fix is to replace the entire top portion of your dash? Scary Thought. For others, when you get a chance, see what the dashboard looks like on IS's on display at your local dealers.

One thing I also noticed was that the leather was extremely soft and nice, however, because it is so nice and soft may be prone to wear not as well as say a more rugged leather. Also, the grab handles on the ceiling are of a two pivot design. It reminded me of the two pivot door hinge on the the earlier model SC's. Very cool design. Also, like everyone has said the single cup holder is miserably small, so no more super big gulps. The only options will be small water bottles, cans of soda or a small coffee. Strangely the shape and size of the cup holder is that of a small Pocari Sweat bottle. Ha Ha.

Regardless, still want to buy one in the next several months, once some of the hype has died down.
Do you really think LEXUS of all brands would have fit and finish issues???

These are pre-production models.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I think not just those r prototype for show and tell and will be disposed once the production models arrive in a week or 2.

·
Registered
221 Posts
N1! said:
...One thing that I found to be of concern, was that both the IS250 and the IS350 they had on display had horrible fit and finish seam lines between the top of the dash where the textured material meets the metallic center vents. I pushed on the portion to see if it would tuck back in underneath and it only made the matter worse. It seemed like the dash material was too soft and was warping around the vent surround...

I saw this exact same thing on a car at my dealer last week, and that WAS NOT a pre-production vehicle. I hope this isn't indicative of all new IS's. What's going to happen when it's been in 100F sun for a few hours? :pissed:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crester said:
Do you really think LEXUS of all brands would have fit and finish issues???

These are pre-production models.
Sorry to say, yes. I have owned 3 different Lexus models and even for a Lexus, there will be some hiccups. This is not to say that they will not come up with a fix. Probably one of the most pro-active companies when it comes to addressing these type of concerns.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
timboIS said:
I saw this exact same thing on a car at my dealer last week, and that WAS NOT a pre-production vehicle. I hope this isn't indicative of all new IS's. What's going to happen when it's been in 100F sun for a few hours? :pissed:
Yup add some heat and time and it might not be too pretty. Hopefully, it has been addressed.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
N1! said:
Sorry to say, yes. I have owned 3 different Lexus models and even for a Lexus, there will be some hiccups. This is not to say that they will not come up with a fix. Probably one of the most pro-active companies when it comes to addressing these type of concerns.
You had interior fit and finish problems on all three Lexus models? Wow!

Our household had:

2001 Lexus IS300 (mine)
1998 Lexus GS300
1990 Toyota Cressida
1986 Toyota Cressida

All of them had been near perfect vehicles. But then again... we take really good care of our cars.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Crester said:
But then again... we take really good care of our cars.
What's that got to do with it? What are you implying? These problems are the result of misuse? :suspiciou These are just observations right from the factory on some initial cars. :jawDrop: Hopefully it gets addressed.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
fyeung04msm said:
I think not just those r prototype for show and tell and will be disposed once the production models arrive in a week or 2.
Then can I get one of those pre production models cheap and easy rather then wait in line for a real one? ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
They aren't prototypes because they have vin numbers this means that they are production models. I am sure that these issues were addressed though.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
The vehicles that have been the circulating @ events here in the states are all pre-production models. None have been production models.
We saw most of them @ the press event held in NY.

The first batch of production vehicles are now just arriving.

I would not worry about fit and finish if you are basing your concern on those vehicles.

·
Registered
221 Posts
METEORO said:
The first batch of production vehicles are now just arriving.

I would not worry about fit and finish if you are basing your concern on those vehicles.
You would not be worried about fit and finish of the first batch of production vehicles? I am concerned. I'm scheduled to get one. :jawDrop:

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
timboIS said:
You would not be worried about fit and finish of the first batch of production vehicles? I am concerned. I'm scheduled to get one. :jawDrop:

Don't take his statement out of context!

He said the cars circulating events are pre-production models... so you shouldn't base your quality assessments on those. The actual production models are just arriving now!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Crester said:
Don't take his statement out of context!

He said the cars circulating events are pre-production models... so you shouldn't base your quality assessments on those. The actual production models are just arriving now!
Can you read?

I said, twice.... THIS WAS A PRODUCTION, AND ACTUAL FOR-SALE, VEHICLE I SAW THIS ON. NOT A DEMO. NOT A PREPRODUCTION. NOT A TOL VEHICLE.

Don't take MY comments out of context!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Timbo... METEORO said all the "display vehicles" making the rounds now are pre-production vehicles. :pissed:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Crester said:
You had interior fit and finish problems on all three Lexus models? Wow!

Our household had:

2001 Lexus IS300 (mine)
1998 Lexus GS300
1990 Toyota Cressida
1986 Toyota Cressida

All of them had been near perfect vehicles. But then again... we take really good care of our cars.
I think you are having a difficult time distinguishing between manufacturer's defect and driver error or abuse.

You could be taking really good care of your vehicles by washing them and drying them everyday and doing the maintenance as scheduled or even more often than Lexus suggests.

However, if there is a manufacturers defect, it doesn't matter how much TLC you apply to your vehicle, parts will break, there will be imperfections and there will be warranty claims to be made.

But then again your idea of "perfect" is a relative term and unfortunately, not everyone shares in your undying faith that a first production year, even for your Virgin Lexus is not going to have teething problems.

Since you or your family had some experience with a 01 IS and a 98 GS, both first production years for the U.S. market, you would understand that they both have had a boat load of TSB's to address different concerns, like ALL vehicles regardless of whether they are a Lexus or not. So if that is your "Opinion" of "Perfect" or "Near-Perfect" then I think a lot of folks would disagree.

The real test on this matter will be what the first batch of vehicles that actually end up at the dealer will be like. If they end up selling vehicles with this defect you will be hearing alot more about it on the forums. If it has been addressed before the release, then you will hear nothing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ha!

It's funny, when there is a "problem" or "defect" that is noticed on pre-production mules then everyone dismisses it as being one off or "they take care of it", "it is isolated" "dude, its not the real vehicle"

But when there are rumors of something positive, then the attitude is different: "wow, it had so much power!" "The tranny was so smooth" "Handled better than a 911" "We'll if a pre-production felt like this then the production model would be even better!"

Just human nature I guess.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Well let's look at my 2001 IS300 for example. It was serviced for the faulty underbody panels, and the harsh transmission shift. So I guess the car wasn't literally perfect... but beyond that... nothing has really gone wrong. The car is now 5 years old and still drives like new. It's whisper quiet when driven softly... and a beast when pushed.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Fit and finish is what Lexus focuses on the most, so I wouldn't be concerned. Those cars were probably pre-production, hand-built cars.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts