Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Ive been thinking about trading in my 06 Honda Civic SI for a new IS350. I love my Civic but I think its time for a change. One of the major things thats holding me back from trading is that I heard the IS350 doesnt come in a standard transmission? Is this true? I really hate driving auto, even if it is paddle shifters.

Heres my Civic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I actually get about 32mpg on highway and the is350 is advertised at 28mpg so its not that bad.

So is it true that the is350 only has a 6speed auto/paddle?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
No manual trans on IS350.

My buddy's son has a SI. We've been wanting to run against each other but haven't had a chance yet. I want to drive the SI too. Two totally different cars I think.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Yeah, auto only on the IS350... but it's a very good auto. You can't shift as fast as the computer can anyway.

Mileage won't hurt you too much if you're only getting 32 highway now... even doing 75-79 on cruise for trips I still get right around the 28 the 350 is rated at...some folks who can cruise at 65 have done even better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool thanks guys. Yea, the Civic is super fun to drive, especially when you get up into the higher RPMs. I really dont llke driving an auto so that just really effected my decision.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Can't compare the cars (and I'm a HUGE Honda fan), but I think the idea that your 350 will get 28 is not very accurate.

I'm on my second IS350, don't drive particularly hard and I've never done better than about 25mpg on the highway and MUCH worse in the city 18mpg. Lack of a stick was a bit of a turn off for me as well, but once you really get to know this car, you forget about it in a hurry.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Yeah, I've only taken a couple of roadtrips so far, but was getting about 27.5 with the cruise on either 74 or 79 depending on the speed limit (65 or 70).

For city driving if it's not constant stop-n-go then I'm in the low 20s.

Only time I drop under 20 is if it's constant stop-start traffic or really short trips.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hey guys. Ive been thinking about trading in my 06 Honda Civic SI for a new IS350. I love my Civic but I think its time for a change. One of the major things thats holding me back from trading is that I heard the IS350 doesnt come in a standard transmission? Is this true? I really hate driving auto, even if it is paddle shifters.

Heres my Civic

Have you considered the 250? It comes standard in a stick and is quite fun.

·
Registered
410 Posts
sorry to change subjects but for the guy that wanted to run the 350 against the si i tryed it against a 07 si in my crew with intake test pipe n exhaust against my lil sisters 350 n hands down the 350 for a stock auto is really powerful it even beat my cousins s2000 on the freeway n hes fully bolted on sorry im jus sayin i love the power of the 350 for a stock tuner car

·
Registered
289 Posts
True, the 250 is the only one with manual but you might want to do a thread search on some issues with the manual. There's a few complaints about clutch noise and wear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 250 is also kinda slow... but he's a Honda owner so he'd be used to that :p
Wow wow wow, easy now. Haha. With just a cold air intake I pulled a 14.6 on bald tires.

I was looking at the specs for the IS250 RWD with the 6spd, man is that thing slow. 0-60 in like 8 seconds and problems with the clutch. Big turn off for me.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I'm telling ya... buy the 350.

0-60 is anywhere from 4.9-5.4 depending who did the test. mid-13s in the 1/4 mile bone stock. At least one guy ran in the high 12s with good weather and a few track tricks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was in the same boat as you, always said I would never drive an auto. But I test drove a 350 on Friday and am picking it up this weekend. That is one of the funnest cars I have ever driven (and I have driven a ton including STI's, evos, vettes, S4's, etc) The auto tranny is superb and in sport mode (paddle shifting) even funner. Leaving it in full auto is faster, but the paddles are fun to play with. You should go test drive one before you make your decision.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was in the same boat as you, always said I would never drive an auto. But I test drove a 350 on Friday and am picking it up this weekend. That is one of the funnest cars I have ever driven (and I have driven a ton including STI's, evos, vettes, S4's, etc) The auto tranny is superb and in sport mode (paddle shifting) even funner. Leaving it in full auto is faster, but the paddles are fun to play with. You should go test drive one before you make your decision.
hell yea bro! I agree completely. One added benefit of the IS which i personally LOVE.. is the ability of the car to turn from a hot handling Sedan to a extremely comfortable cruiser. The seats, the position, the quietness, its sooo comfortable. best of both worlds IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cool thanks guys. Yea, the Civic is super fun to drive, especially when you get up into the higher RPMs. I really dont llke driving an auto so that just really effected my decision.
you should really test drive the Is350, the shifting is just ridicilously fast.
Focus more on driving and worry less about shifting, what not to like?
well just my opinion btw..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts