Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new so maybe this has been discussed. i dont have an is but my friend does and he turned me on to this sight. i need a new car i currently have a 94 accord and a 2000 xterra. i had an idea last night that i havent thought about before. it seems that you guys all speak very highly of the is300 and now would be the perfect time to get one because they will slash those prices and to get rid of them and make room for the is250/350. would any of you guys, put yourselves in my shoe, get the is300 at a bargain price or wait and pay for the is250 at probably msrp. i dont have the money to get the is350 so thats out of the question. just thought id get some throughts from you guys. i was thinking about it and the pros for the is300 is that itll be cheap and it is a very good car but the con is that it will be an old model.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
well, they are two very different cars. ask yourself what exactly do you want out of your next car...

personally, i would get the 05 is300 and wait a couple years and possibly trade for a used 350. if the only con you can think of for not getting the 300 is that its an "old model" than thats not much of a con.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The new 250 has all the luxury bells and whistles the current IS is missing, like ventilated seats, rain-sensing wipers, etc., but it is heavier and from reports has a little less pep than the current IS. I personally would probably want to drive both cars before deciding. I like the style of the old IS better, but I do drool over some of the new features of the 250. If money is an object to some extent, you will save a ton by getting the is300. Or, save even more and get a late model used with low mileage. Consumer Reports named the IS 300 as the most reliable entry level luxury vehicle on the road. I would be careful about buying first model year cars. So, I would go with the 300 and wait to see if you want a 350 down the road, once the bugs are worked out.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I'd say that if you want a true sports sedan... and are into modding it... adding turbo... etc... then buy the IS300. But if you want a more cushier, gadget filled but still reliable sedan that you can have the occasional romp in... then get the IS250.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i like the point scruffy made. if i cant think of other cons besides the fact that the is300 is an old model then maybe i should get it. of course this could be a moot point once lexus releases the prices on the 06is. i think im going to stop into longo lexus this weekend. maybe theyll have the new is there and i can at least look at it in person but at least i can test drive the 05.

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
they are both good.

i'd wait and trade in your current is in for the 350 being that its its first year out and the next upcoming models will be better.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I would probably just haggle the dealership to death and get the 05 IS300 at a good price. Like people said before, the new IS is more cushy and luxurious than the last one, but heavier and more pricy. The power difference is negligible, but I would almost get the 05 simply because it has the I6 instead of the V6. Pros for the new IS250 would include dramatically improved gas mileage.

All depends what you're looking for. I personally would not choose the IS250 over the IS300. Now the IS350 is a whole differnet deal, but that's in another price range. :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'd go for the '05. Faster, lighter, more fun, great I6 engine, & trac control can be disabled.
Granted, the '06 gets better gas mileage, but it'll take many years of driving to put the $7,000 dollar price difference back in your pocket on gas savings.
The new IS has more luxury features, but I'm not really into most of 'em (don't care whether or not I need to use a key to start the car) - give me a manual trans, sunroof and power windows and I'm a happy camper.
It's just my opinion, though. Both are fine cars. Go test drive both and choose your favorite. Maybe you can haggle them down a little on an '06 IS250, I think the 350's will be the big movers.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I'd do an 06... Like others have mentioned, unless you want to go FI and have the time, patience and the $ for it, then get the 05. You'll def get mixed responses b/c some people dig the 06s and some don't. Some people are into performance, others would care less. Bottom line, what is most import is HOW you like it... Drive both and make your decision then... GL!

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Test drive both cars (IS300/IS250) and decide. I'd vote for the 05 right now and as for the 06 IS250 I'd wait a year.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
III 4U2NV III said:
I'd do an 06... Like others have mentioned, unless you want to go FI and have the time, patience and the $ for it, then get the 05. You'll def get mixed responses b/c some people dig the 06s and some don't. Some people are into performance, others would care less. Bottom line, what is most import is HOW you like it... Drive both and make your decision then... GL!
I was just thinking if you have the money to buy a "new" IS300 and properly mod and boost it... wouldn't you be able to afford a IS350???

I have a friend who spent $20,000 rebuilding and turboing his Prelude.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would get the '05 is300 because you can get a good deal, more mods, and IMO it just looks better. Also I would be weary of first gen. models. They tend to have more bugs. Of course, all wheel drive would be sweet here in MN. I guess what it really boils down to is what are you looking for in a luxury sports sedan, more luxury or more sport?

·
Registered
11,025 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought my '05 this summer as soon as I found out they were changing the model in '06. There wasn't that much info on the '06 models back then but I saw the pics and read the specs and thought what a great opportunity to get a car that I have always loved. There weren't many 5-speeds left in June so I don't know what the stock situation is now.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Get the 2005, the other thing is a baby GS, bottom line - Lexus has even said similar.
Do not expect to get a 5-speed. No more IS300 are being made, and have not been made for a while. It will be real hard to find one w/o e-shift. I say go for it.

Entropy

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
entropy said:
Get the 2005, the other thing is a baby GS, bottom line - Lexus has even said similar.
What's wrong with a baby (and edgier) GS? The GS is a very nice car.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Baby GS

Crester said:
What's wrong with a baby (and edgier) GS? The GS is a very nice car.
If I wanted a GS I'd buy a GS, and I am sure the same goes for him. The dude wants a friggin IS which the new thing aint!

Entropy

Reactions: Zor Prime

·
Registered
589 Posts
Crester said:
I was just thinking if you have the money to buy a "new" IS300 and properly mod and boost it... wouldn't you be able to afford a IS350???

I have a friend who spent $20,000 rebuilding and turboing his Prelude.
Not really. I got my IS300 brand new for $29,000. If I boost it, say around 6-7k for including install of the TE Sport S1 Kit, that'll bring the price up to 36k. It has been rumored that the IS350 is going to retail for 40k+. So who knows???? personally, I would rather have a boosted engine than an NA.

·
Registered
638 Posts
entropy said:
If I wanted a GS I'd buy a GS, and I am sure the same goes for him. The dude wants a friggin IS which the new thing aint!

Entropy
Haha I +rep you man. After driving both the 250 and 350, I can't say I love or hate the car..but that is one thought that stuck out in my mind while looking at and driving both car is that this is NOT an IS..actually made me a little sad that so much that I loved is now gone, but...I was never happier driving away in my IS from taste of Lexus..

Ewang buy the 2005..you must experience the first generation before moving on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts