Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone yet installed this new '04 OEM dash tray themselves? Looks pretty nice and I'm thinking about ordering one from this site but just curious how much work goes into installing this thing?

·
8,849 Posts
From the looks of it, it seems pretty simple.
Just remove lint trap, unscrew 2 screws, pull off the whole assembly and install the new one.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I think that whole top vent piece is replaced.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I concur. when installing the Nav housing on my 02, removing the stock one just involved lifting off the felt pad and unscrewing 2 screws, then pulling it out. Even putting the nav housing piece just requires putting it in and screwing in those same 2 screws and putting the cover back on. So it shouldn't be any different for the 04 one. Because without anything there, there's just a big hole. So basically you got 4 choices of what to put in that hole, each one works with the same 2 screws.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Yeah, but this top tray has that little button piece, and it just doesn't look like it works like the JDM tray would.

I mean, the jdm tray was $120 ish.

This thing is $180 w/ the .net discount.

I called the dealer and just that top vent plastic piece is $180 from them.

I hope I'm right, because I need the top vent piece too.

·
8,849 Posts
If you look carefully on the picture, you can see spots where NAV buttons would be. Stock vents do not have those. So, I think you are right.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Damn... You're right. It looks like the entire vent needs to be replaced. I ordered the OEM dash kit a while ago and didn't notice that you have to replace the vent part. I hope I don't have to take apart my dash to install this thing.

·
8,849 Posts
Broomhead said:
Damn... You're right. It looks like the entire vent needs to be replaced. I ordered the OEM dash kit a while ago and didn't notice that you have to replace the vent part. I hope I don't have to take apart my dash to install this thing.
1) There are 2 types of Dash Trays - one is from Altezza another is 2004 IS300.
2)Both do not require disassembly of the whole dash.

·
Registered
349 Posts
vlad_a said:
1) There are 2 types of Dash Trays - one is from Altezza another is 2004 IS300.
2)Both do not require disassembly of the whole dash.
Yeah, I ordered the OEM IS300 tray from the .net store. I'm aware that the JDM tray only required you to pop up the felt pad. Are you saying that the vents will just pop out for the IS300 tray?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I think I understand some of the confusion. The JDM Tray I believe sits on top of the stock tray, where as the 04 is a whole replacement for the vent, but... The air direction things are separate from that. I wish I had a picture to show you. Anybody that has taken the stock felt/air vent apart will know that the air direction things come off of that, and you put that onto your 04 piece again.
So what you see in the picture of the 04 is the whole assembly, that would replace the stock air vent/shelf, but you retain your air direction things.

·
Registered
349 Posts
thedon said:
I think I understand some of the confusion. The JDM Tray I believe sits on top of the stock tray, where as the 04 is a whole replacement for the vent, but... The air direction things are separate from that. I wish I had a picture to show you. Anybody that has taken the stock felt/air vent apart will know that the air direction things come off of that, and you put that onto your 04 piece again.
So what you see in the picture of the 04 is the whole assembly, that would replace the stock air vent/shelf, but you retain your air direction things.
Ah, okay... I think I understand. So the base of the 04 OEM tray will just be the frame around the vents. Do you know if that is relatively easy to remove?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The top piece is very easy to remove

Removing the vents from the top part sucks. Ther are a lot of little tabs that you have to pry up at the same time in order to remove the vent piece.

Eh.. just a minor pain, nothing big.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
bartkat said:
2004 Dash Tray

Thats a perfect pic because it show that the 04 piece is just like the nav housing base piece. It has that same little cover that goes over the screws. But here's a picture of my nav housing, just to show what I meant about the air vent direction things.

you see that they are missing, because they are interchangeable to go into the stock, 04, and nav housing bases units. These two might even be made from similar molds, just one puts the nav cutouts for the rest of the pieces where the 04 puts a big gap for the pocket piece that you see.

·
Registered
349 Posts
thedon said:
Thats a perfect pic because it show that the 04 piece is just like the nav housing base piece. It has that same little cover that goes over the screws. But here's a picture of my nav housing, just to show what I meant about the air vent direction things.

you see that they are missing, because they are interchangeable to go into the stock, 04, and nav housing bases units. These two might even be made from similar molds, just one puts the nav cutouts for the rest of the pieces where the 04 puts a big gap for the pocket piece that you see.
If I had a dot, I'd kick it down to you. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.