Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cliff's Notes in Italics
I'm sad to say that my always reliable and unbreakable car is no longer bulletproof :crying: haha

My W55 lasted 226k high revving miles (with the stock clutch!) and something broke inside. I had it towed to a shop with hopes that something came off the flywheel or something was loose...but it sounded worse than that. I thought (hoped) it was the input shaft bearing as it would clunk cyclically when the clutch was at rest in neutral (engaged), and when I would push it in the clunk would stop.

The tranny is currently out of the car at the shop, and the owner mentioned it would be some labor $ if they open it up to finish diagnosing as it wasn't any of the clutch/fly/pp. And he doesn't think it is the input shaft by the way it feels.

Is it worth spending more on it to diagnose, if rebuild is required? The shop is having a hard time locating a remanned, and mentioned they could rebuild but it would be costly. He mentioned he won't buy a used tranny, but that I may need to chance it if he can't find one he agrees with.

Do you know of any reliable sources for W55s?

I love my IS300, and hope to continue to be able to drive it. I daily it to work and it sure is a ton more fun on the highway than my tacoma haha. In reality, I probably need a tranny that will last 100k, not another 225k miles. When something happens to the motor, I want to keep it and build it. Long time member on the site, and still really enjoy the IS.

(Do any of you guys have any W55s sitting around after upgrading?0:))

TIA

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
33030 TRANSMISSION UNIT ASSEMBLY, MANUAL. TRANSMISSION UNIT AS IS300 (JCE10); MANUAL TRANSMISSION
$2,529.80

If I really wanted to keep a 15 year old that just had a catastrophic failure, I'd probably order one from Lexus. More expensive than used but, maybe comparable price to a rebuild. Not sure I'd trust just anyone to rebuild it.

Honestly, I'd have no problem with a used one from Ebay.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Funny enough, my first gear went out at 228,000 miles, and i'm just casually destroying the clutch with second. I'm currently saving for a T56 since grannasracing sells a kit for our cars. It's not the cheapest option ($4800, brand new), but if you plan on keeping the car, I see it as the right choice. Especially if you plan to build the motor eventually, the entry level T56 holds 700ft lbs, which is plenty.

Although based on what you're describing, the W55 is notorious for having a shit throwout bearing apparently, and that might be the issue. But i'd imagine the guys who took it off the car would have told you that already by now.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Funny enough, my first gear went out at 228,000 miles, and i'm just casually destroying the clutch with second. I'm currently saving for a T56 since grannasracing sells a kit for our cars. It's not the cheapest option ($4800, brand new), but if you plan on keeping the car, I see it as the right choice. Especially if you plan to build the motor eventually, the entry level T56 holds 700ft lbs, which is plenty.

Although based on what you're describing, the W55 is notorious for having a shit throwout bearing apparently, and that might be the issue. But i'd imagine the guys who took it off the car would have told you that already by now.
There are many other companies than grannasracing. Just buy an adapter and stuff. Get the tranny from a salvage yard.
https://www.tickperformance.com/t56-mounting-adapter-plate-swap-applications/
https://www.suprastore.com/qula2jztot56.html
https://www.rodshop.com.au/bellhousings/toyota-1jz-2jz/gm-tremec-t56/toyota-1jz-and-2jz-to-t56.html
Just some examples.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'm betting you could probably source a cheap w55 (or a few of them) from a local junkyard. Can't see them going for much. As far as shifting goes, the W55 transmission has been the smoothest shifting one to date that I've had installed on the car.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies so far fellas

33030 TRANSMISSION UNIT ASSEMBLY, MANUAL. TRANSMISSION UNIT AS IS300 (JCE10); MANUAL TRANSMISSION
$2,529.80

If I really wanted to keep a 15 year old that just had a catastrophic failure, I'd probably order one from Lexus. More expensive than used but, maybe comparable price to a rebuild. Not sure I'd trust just anyone to rebuild it.

Honestly, I'd have no problem with a used one from Ebay.
Agreed--I don't know about just anyone rebuilding it. Mine lasted 226kmi, so I would feel semi comfortable buying one from ebay based on its longevity. This drivetrain has seen a lot of RPMs in its life, but not abuse. I know some people do not treat anything they own nicely. I also wouldn't want to end up with a W55 that was temporarily on a turbo car :). I have generally been lucky on ebay, but return shipping would be a B lol

I continue to wonder what car I could buy for $2500 that would compare to the Lex--nothing, really. But then I really start to think...well they already took out the tranny for me. Engine would be easier to pull.... Buy an LS/T56 and go for it...or aristo/R154.

The only eBay W55 I have seen so far: https://www.ebay.com/itm/98-05-LEXUS-IS300-M-T-5-SPEED-W55-MANUAL-TRANSMISSION-2JZGE-OEM/254074779585?epid=811830741&hash=item3b280977c1:g:WN4AAOSwjW9cPrCG:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

W58?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Aristo-Supra-RWD-Manual-5-Speed-W58-Transmission-JDM-1JZGE-2JZGE/163209317843?hash=item2600088dd3:g:4oMAAOSwa9BbsOQU:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

DH_71631 said:

I'm thinking if I go this route, it's going to come in a donor or a front clip. But I guess there is potential. Are you going to GE-T, GTE, or LS? I was hoping it was something stupid, but it sure sounded much worse.

01 SolarYellow said:
There are many other companies than grannasracing. Just buy an adapter and stuff. Get the tranny from a salvage yard.
https://www.tickperformance.com/t56-...-applications/
https://www.suprastore.com/qula2jztot56.html
https://www.rodshop.com.au/bellhousi...jz-to-t56.html
Just some examples.
Thanks for the links 01SY. Definitely something to explore

FRaCTioNaL said:
I'm betting you could probably source a cheap w55 (or a few of them) from a local junkyard. Can't see them going for much. As far as shifting goes, the W55 transmission has been the smoothest shifting one to date that I've had installed on the car.
Saludos bori. Creo que hemos hablado antes.

I have had trouble finding them via google searches. I guess I need to start calling around. The tranny shop where the car is has been calling a few remanufacturers and no luck yet... He was saying if he rebuilds it, it would be close to $1800-2 OTD. I'd rather pay $500 insurance on that and go with stock BRAND NEW haha.

Piggity said:
Haha. I just may! Then $ vs value gets in my head. Good price really, when comparing it to a new W55 from Lexus. Thanks for the link! I think it'll be a contender if no used W55/58s fit the bill

I partly want to just build it, but then I think keep driving it until the engine doesn't want anymore. I had a 2 car garage, and then I got a boat lol. Space is much tighter now. I hope to be in a different house in a couple of years. 3 car garage, or shop in back yard with 2-post will be a plan.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the input, and while I'm about hacking things together to get it going, I like that grannas put everything i'd need in the same kit that is more or less guaranteed to work. I don't really have the time to do trial and error on a daily.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Are you going to GE-T, GTE, or LS?
Depends on how much money I have whenever I get to the engine, I realllly like that the GTE is a non-interference head, plus the block is setup for boost instead of modifying the GE one Lexus gave us.

I've head that boosting higher mileage 2J's can be hit or miss, trying to make the most out of an N/A setup be eliminating parasitic losses from the drivetrain to keep it fun until I get around to any of it.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Saludos bori. Creo que hemos hablado antes.

I have had trouble finding them via google searches. I guess I need to start calling around. The tranny shop where the car is has been calling a few remanufacturers and no luck yet... He was saying if he rebuilds it, it would be close to $1800-2 OTD. I'd rather pay $500 insurance on that and go with stock BRAND NEW haha.
Pues en realidad no recuerdo haber hablado pero bueno, quien sabe!! Feel free to PM me if you want my input on a build or if you have any particular questions. I have unpopular views as far as swaps and will get people riled up with my opinions. I will only say that swaps are a hit or miss thing. You never think you'll get burned but some of us do, especially if you are OCD about stuff and don't want half ass jobs.

Anyway...hope you get everything sorted out man.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I realllly like that the GTE is a non-interference head,
GTE Non VVTi is not interference. GTE VVTi is an interference engine, just to clarify - you may already know that. VVTi is totally worth it and not terrible to tune.

I’d recommend an AR5 transmission from the 06 Pontiac Solstice (after 07 the transmission mount changes making it harder to use in an IS300). Cheaper than an R154, newer, and equally strong. There’s several threads here with real-world info, so I won’t rehash them. But for about the cost of the R154 trans, you can source an AR5, bellhousing/flywheel/PP/clutch/slave etc. You’ll need a driveshaft and a shifter housing plus some other small things, so budget accordingly. Good luck!

·
Registered
159 Posts
GTE Non VVTi is not interference. GTE VVTi is an interference engine, just to clarify - you may already know that. VVTi is totally worth it and not terrible to tune.
After A little searching, I wasn't able to confirm this. If this is true, you've broken my heart man. I really thought I could have it all.

Both a toymods forum post, plus apparently the supra forums are saying that both are NI, I don't know if there's anyone else here to confirm this.

If my w55 transmission goes out. I'd go with a brand new R154 transmission sold by Driftmotion in SoCaL.
While they're slightly cheaper up front, I prefer the two overdrive gears from the T56 magnum, only about $600 difference brand new, and you have 6 gears instead of 5, the last being as low as 0.5:1, which is amazing IMO. That way we all can save some fuel on the highway, slowing making up for the price.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The gte VVTi may not be interference, I always thought it was though. It does have lower compression than a VVTi ge.

A T56 would be very nice!

·
Registered
159 Posts
The gte VVTi may not be interference, I always thought it was though. It does have lower compression than a VVTi ge.
After more research i've not come to a definitive answer, more info leaning towards it being interference. Compression can be changed with piston/rod setup, I have no clue how you would build a block/head to be NI though, if it's even possible.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While they're slightly cheaper up front, I prefer the two overdrive gears from the T56 magnum, only about $600 difference brand new, and you have 6 gears instead of 5, the last being as low as 0.5:1, which is amazing IMO. That way we all can save some fuel on the highway, slowing making up for the price.
Agreed. If I were upgrading, I would go with a 6spd option (T56 being a much better one than the V160/161 cost-wise haha)

I am taking my chances with a used W55, and if it doesn't work out well then I will go back to the drawing board. Fingers crossed.

Now the other question is, go with Supra clutch/flywheel/slave or just get a new OEM replacement stock flywheel/clutch.

May just keep it stock to lessen the variables just in case. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts