Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new here and in of some help. My son's 04 IS300 was driving fine and all at once the reverse is gone, but that's not just the odd thing if you start it and give it gas while in park it feels like it ifs in drive, while in reverse it will move forward if you give it gas as well while in neutral.
But when you put it in drive and go it drives pretty good shifts a little sluggish.
We did drop the pan cleaned it out (no metal shavings) and put new filter and fluids in and it drove properly for a day but then did the exact same thing again.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I am guessing it’s either going to be a solenoid issue in the tranny, or possibly the gear selector cable isn’t sitting right either inside the tranny (you would have seen it if you had the pan off, can be tricky to get back in the right position) or at the interior lever.

I doubt it would be electrics or ecu if you can’t select the gears in the first place.

Did it run right previously?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am guessing it’s either going to be a solenoid issue in the tranny, or possibly the gear selector cable isn’t sitting right either inside the tranny (you would have seen it if you had the pan off, can be tricky to get back in the right position) or at the interior lever.

I doubt it would be electrics or ecu if you can’t select the gears in the first place.

Did it run right previously?
Yes the has been running and shifting just fine up till my went to park at the store and the kept trying to move forward and tried to reverse it and went forward when he gave it gas.
I had to put it in neutral while the car was off so I could get it out of the parking stall and then I drove it home with no real problem just was a little sluggish shifting thru the gears.
I even used the paddle shifters and it shifted when I wanted it to...
I was thinking it might be a different solenoid that is bad but wanted to get someone else's opinion to.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If a solenoid went bad. It should have a code in scanning. More than likely a leaking valve body or some clutches have broken.
Would it give an error if the o-ring/seal broke but the electronics were still ok? I am guessing it would only throw an error if the electronics of the solenoid went bad?

·
3,269 Posts
Would it give an error if the o-ring/seal broke but the electronics were still ok? I am guessing it would only throw an error if the electronics of the solenoid went bad?
No only electronic fail for code. But it is not very likely for the o-ring to blow out or crack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all info in here, you guys have given me a lot to look into. From what I've been hearing on here and others here locally it does sound like bad solenoids as the trans fluid was super dark and smelly when I dropped the pad the first time. I didn't know at that time to pull and clean all the solenoids I just replaced one that was having a code with one from the junkyard.

Once I have more time to dig into it again and change the solenoids I'll give an update. Mahalo , Big Kahuna....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts