Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 IS300 Sportdesign automatic with about 100,000 miles on it. In the morning or when left sitting for awhile, the car makes a sound like a spring coming uncoiled when I release the brake after backing out and shifting into drive. I can roll forward with my foot on the brake with no sound, but when I release the brake, I get the spring sound. It usually only happens once after first starting the car and backing out. It never happens when I'm on the road, after stopping at a light, e.g., or if the car's warmed up already.

One service guy thought it might be the antilock brake system, then changed his mind and suggested it could be a transmission issue. The car drives fine, though... no apparent problems shifting, no lag from a dead stop, no acceleration issues.

I had the brakes checked and was told they seem to be fine. I'm not a mechanic, obviously, but it seems like something in the brake assembly since releasing the brake pedal causes the sound.

I realize diagnosing this online is a long shot, but three visits to different service centers has left the problem undiagnosed.

Again, the sound is like a spring suddenly uncoiling: bvvvvvvv! That's the best description I can give. Tried to record it, but couldn't get it using my phone's voice note app.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? Anyone have a guess as to a likely suspect?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 04 Auto makes the BOING sound every single time after shifting from either park to drive, or park to reverse. Every single time... I have stopped worrying as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 03 does not boing, but it makes an odd sound like the pads shifting in the calipers every time I put it in drive after being parked. Roll a few feet and a small click type sound. Just living with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts